Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Aggression. I can handle a bit of dog aggression, so long as it's not out of control. But aggression towards people, nope.

Slow dogs or dogs with NO drive are not for me.

Dogs that are a health nightmare (EBs, for one).
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

Dog aggression. I know, sounds odd coming from somebody who owns Dobermans, but it is just something I do not want to deal with. I am very happy that my dogs (thus far) are not DA in any way, shape or form, but the potential for DA (even if just SSA) is a huge reason why I can't see myself seeking out another Doberman. I've had dog reactive dogs, and that's enough for me... nevermind something more. If one of my dogs became DA, I wouldn't rehome it. We'd find a way to make it work somehow. But it's not a trait that I would not knowingly seek out. And human aggression, too. I will not live with a human aggressive dog.

Slow to learn. I need a dog who wants to work with me and for me, and who will put a lot of effort into something. I'd also prefer a dog who learns relatively quickly. My current dogs are all quick learners, but compared to the speed that Tango learned things at and how eager she was to learn them, these guys often seem very slow in comparison. But not slow enough that they bore me or frustrate me.

No off switch. I like an active, high energy dog that I can do things with. But sometimes I have days where I don't really feel like doing a lot, and I need a dog who will be ok with that. Obviously not every day, but I don't want a dog who will be bouncing off the walls if I don't get it out for a few hours a day every day.

Shyness. I would not knowingly (now, having experienced Dance) take in a dog that was not tolerant of people. If the dog ended up shy despite my best efforts, like Dance, then so be it and we'll work through it. But I will definitely be seeking out outgoing, stable, confident dogs from here on out. I'm not really an "OMG I love you!" dog kind of person either, but I'll take that over shy any day. My preference is for reserved but friendly, though. Like my Dobermans.

Excessive drooling. It grosses me out. I hate excessive licking (actually, any licking - the sound drives me nuts) also, but you can't really predict which dogs will do that and which won't. So I deal with it.

Loud breathing/snuffling/snorting/snoring constantly. Drives me nuts. I can't sleep with any noise for some reason, so a dog that did that would have to sleep elsewhere in the house rather than my room. It drives me nuts to listen to during the day also. I never realized, as I'd never really known smoosh faced dogs before my grandma got hers.

Excessive grooming. A dog that needs more grooming than Dance (brush every so often, tidy ears and feed) is not for me. I need a more wash n' wear dog.

I think that's it. I think the only one that's an absolute "no way!" for me is the human aggression and the excessive grooming, while the rest are all traits I would just strongly, strongly prefer not to have but would deal with if it arose.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Excessive hair, OK anything that has long hair and a double coat. After Peewee No more hours upon hours of grooming his tubby butt and ending up with trash bags of hair.
Excessive drool. The occasional drool from excitement is ok but the continuous drool is a no go. Oddly enough, I would own any of my friends great danes. Hers seem to be not as drooly as most.
Lack of drive to do anything or play with anything. Peewee is 14 and hasn't played with a single toy in 13 years.
Super needy and super I don't care if you exists. Peewee could really give two hoots as to people. He is perfectly happy by himself. Not something I want again.
I think those are the "major" ones.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Slowness, definitely. My step-moms Dachshund-mix Buddy is a sweetheart but he's just sooooo slow and it drives me bananas. We have voices for all the dogs (LOL) and he talks like Eeyore. No drive to learn anything, doesn't follow food so can't even get him to learn a spin. He's getting fat because he'd rather lay on the couch most of the day. I mean, he enjoys a nice walk and stuff, but HATES to run. He loves to go for car rides and stuff. But just UGH. Not my kind of my dog.

Dog aggression. It's definitely a turn-off for me and I know I tend to like little terriers so I guess that's kind of ironic, but there's not too much DA in Silky Terriers or Yorkies from what I've seen. And my other favorite terrier, Border Terrier is not as common either. So it's not a huge concern of mine. I couldn't have a true DA dog though - wouldn't work at ALL with my lifestyle.

I like an off switch. I couldn't ever live with a Mal for example.

I'm getting quite used to the no-shedding thing and think I like it. Though I still have a few dream breeds who definitely SHED a lot (Mastiff, GSD, BC) but... I dunno, we'll see.

Dogs that just LOVE everyone.... I used to think I liked that, but I prefer aloofness now.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
*Now with Snark*

Dealbreakers for me

Heartbreak breeds - I want healthy dogs if I can help it. So no flat faced or cardiac nightmare breeds. I also prob won't get a dog breed well known for eye issues.

High COI - I told the story of the puppy I turned down with a COI of over 35%... talk about keeping it in the family.

Stupid dogs- sorry, I've met a few who as a group just aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. All dogs can learn but most papillons just make it Sooo easy to see them figuring stuff out even if it's not what you wanted them to learn.

Ugly dogs - life's too short for a dog that fell off the fugly tree.

Most terriers - they're just not for me.

Most breeds with a dog fighting history. Again, they're just not for me.

Dogs who don't bark - but rather scream. See mini schnauzers.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Stupid dogs- sorry, I've met a few who as a group just aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. All dogs can learn but most papillons just make it Sooo easy to see them figuring stuff out even if it's not what you wanted them to learn.
That is so true! I love it. I think I lump that in with 'fast' too. I like a dog that thinks a lot and thinks and reacts quick. The more dogs and breeds I'm around in classes the more I appreciate how quick and bright my dogs are.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

Dog aggression. I want to continue to foster dogs, so I need my dogs to be good with other dogs. I can deal with reactivity to a certain degree - Jack can be reactive to dogs on walks, but he's completely social with them in other settings.

Cat aggression. I will always have a cat in my home, and I need a dog that's okay with that. They don't need to be 100% trustworthy to be left alone, they don't need to be best friends, but they need to coexist.

Extremely high energy requirements. I need low to moderate energy - I'm not active enough for a high energy dog, and I know it.

Brachycephalic breeds. They're just not attractive to me at all.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
orange iguanas.

I.... don't know.

I guess if I were looking at rescues, I'd be a bit more selective. I wouldn't knowingly take on a shy dog, because dealing with it with Juno sucks. I also wouldn't take on a DA dog because I'd like to own more than one dog... and I don't like the idea of crate and rotate. Any ounce of human aggression.

As far as breed traits in general, I have a hard time figuring that out. There are a lot of things that sound bad on paper but in reality aren't really a big deal.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Dafuq?

* Wet mouth
* Tendency to whine/bay/cry
* Fearful
* Hard to housebreak
* Too much hair on the ass/tail that catches poop
* No desire to work

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
overdogged

Low drive
Low energy level
Not an athletic build
Docked tail
Extremely barky
Extremely independent
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?