Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Hmm i am so open to anything except large amounts of drool and serious health issues.

I obviously have traits that i actively look for but there is not much i would turn a dog down for.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEyezz View Post
i know it didn't but the way it sounded to me is that she did not like or care about that dog
Then you obviously don't know how people work here yet.
The people posting on this forum love their dogs more than any people i have ever known.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

- Stability. If a breed is prone to sharpness, shyness, timidness...no thank you.
- Noise. No barkers. Please, for the love of God, no dogs that feel the need to constantly bark. Talking? Great. Alert barking? Fine. Barking to hear the sound of their own voice? No. High pitched yaps, coonhound bays, and brachy breeds screaming...No. But for some reason, I don't mind Basset Hounds baying. Beagles drive me up the wall, but I could listen to a Basset Hound all day and not mind. LOL
- Intelligence. I can't stand a slow witted dog. Although I would prefer a biddable dog over a non biddable dog, I'd prefer an intelligent nonbiddable dog over a dumb biddable dog any day.
- Activity. I don't mind slow dogs. Best dog I've ever had suitable to my pace was the Basset Hound we found. LOL He'd go when I wanted to go and have a grand ol' time, but was just as content to snooze on the bed. No need for him to run laps to burn off energy, either.
- Grooming. I either need a wash and wear breed, or a breed I can make wash and wear by shaving it down short without ruining the coat/making it look stupid.
- Independence. I want a dog that enjoys being with and working with its owner. Or at leasts pretends like it likes me, even if that is only because I am the one that provides food.
- Inter-house aggression. I don't care if my dog can't get along with strange dogs/animals. I do care if they can't get along with other dogs or pets in the household. Been there, done that, hate it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Drool, DA/HA, tons of hair. Hmmm, that is all I can think of right now. There are very few dogs on my "list to own", so I guess I am very picky. Those are pretty much no go's though. I like to take my dogs out everywhere with me, so DA/HA would not work for us. A little hair I can deal with, but excessive is just excessive. Remember, Im used to a poodle, so most are excessive.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Deal breakers for me are:
aggression

barkers- I have no problems with "alert barking", but won't tolerate barking when someone walks down the stree, another dog is seen, etc. And high pitched barking, even if it is only when someone comes to the door, goes right through me.

little breeds-I like a lap dog who takes up my entire lap.

long/continuingly (sp?) growing hair-

breeds riddled with health issues

short lived breeds

smooshed faces

drooling- I could probably get used to it, my husband couldn't

intense personality

All that said, I really want a PP Chinese Crested (so much for no little dogs, no long hair, huh? LOL).
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

When I was looking at different breeds, I'd say household same sex aggression was pretty high on my deal breaker list. That is why I don't have a young GSD Otherwise, breeds with widespread early onset fatal health issues, life limiting health issues or physical soundness issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

- No drive or very minimal drive. I played with, or rather, tried to play with a few dogs at the Humane Society the other day and they had no drive to do anything, at all. Nothing got them going or excited, and I feel like that would really frustrate me eventually.

- Drool. I cannot deal with drool. I met an incredibly sweet Great Dane once, but he put his head on my lap so I could pet him for a split second, and when he walked away there was a huge puddle where his head had hung over. I also hear about Mastiff and Great Dane owners cleaning the slime from water bowls and I really cannot do that.

- Professional grooming requirements. I can deal with any amounts of shedding, but a high maintenance coat - not so much.

- "Edginess" or nerviness. I want stability, reliability... a dog that I can count on to settle down when needed and to possess good intuition or judgment. I don't want a dog that is goGoGOOO or on edge all the time. Goes with...

- Instability. I want a stable dog of sound mind and solid temperament.

- Physical unsoundness. The dog should be able to keep up physically with everything we want to do.

- Extreme softness in temperament or extreme handler sensitivity. I need a dog that I can step on and holler at, a dog that can deal with my jumpiness and my crazy mood changes. I am clumsy and I am not a soft spoken person. My dog cannot take it personally every time I accidentally trip over him, every time I am upset at something, or every time I give even a verbal correction.

- Separation anxiety. I have heard the stories and to be honest, I don't have the gall to deal with that, ever.

- Constant shyness/nervousness. Again, I'm not a soft spoken or light footed person. I talk a lot, I talk loudly, and sometimes I like to stomp and sing around the house and make my dog my dance partner. I can't live with a dog that will shrink away and cringe every time I reach out, a dog I have to sit quietly for hours and hours for, before I can just pet him. Submissive urination, violent shaking, cowering at every noise and motion... it's out of my league.

These aren't necessarily deal breakers, as I would be willing to take a dog if all else was perfect... but in general, I don't want a dog with the following:

- Indiscriminatory, unadulterated love for everyone and anyone. I prefer a reserved dog.

- Goofiness. A sense of humor is fine, and I love a dog with a silly side, but constant goof and doof is not my cup of tea. I want a dog that is overall described to be serious.

- Loud breathing. Loud, raspy breathing annoys me.

Wow, having it written out like this and it seems like I'm being choosy at an anal retentive level
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
- "Edginess" or nerviness. I want stability, reliability... a dog that I can count on to settle down when needed and to possess good intuition or judgment. I don't want a dog that is goGoGOOO or on edge all the time...
That's what I meant by intense personality. So, obviously, no BCs or Malinois for me.

Quote:
- Separation anxiety. I have heard the stories and to be honest, I don't have the gall to deal with that, ever...
I was concentrating on breed things, and meant to add SA at the end and forgot.

Quote:
- Loud breathing. Loud, raspy breathing annoys me...
That's why I put smooshed faces. Hearing Mick breath like that from the laryngeal paralysis was hard enough. I would never intentionaly pick a dog that naturally breathes that way (doesn't mean I wouldn't adopt a dog with LP, tho).
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Any dog that has a high probability of having SSA, DR, or DA due to it's breed. If I had a single-dog pack I think I would be pretty much open to anything.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

I started to write a bunch of stuff down but truthfully there aren't many things that I would absolutely 100% say no way to. Heck I have an dog who is aggressive towards people right now, something I would have said NO WAY to before. I guess dog aggression would be the only thing (because I have Tucker), or aggression towards myself/family members. There are loads of things I would never WANT and would never choose a dog who has them (laziness, aloofness, no interest in toys, slowness, super flat face, needing pro grooming, lots of hair, drooling, etc.) but if there was some emergency and the dog was going to be euthanized if I didn't take him forever (why that would be I have no idea) I could look past those things.

It's like with Tucker, he is aggressive towards strangers. I never ever would want a dog like that, I like outgoing dogs, I want a therapy dog, I want a dog who I can bring to pet stores and parades and doggy events. But I love Tucker and am going to take him to be mine when I get my own place despite that, because it's better and safer for him and I can look past that trait even though I occasionally get sad that I can't do what I want with him. So I think the only dog I will turn down is one who is dangerous to me, my pets, or my family because it would be miserable trying to keep him away from the other living being in the house.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!