Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Twin 2

Default Dealbreakers

What are your dealbreakers for a dog (or breed)? What trait would make you immediatly take a type of breed or a dog off your list of potentials?

For me, typically if they are prone to dog aggression they are off the table. I don't want to deal with it so I avoid it at all costs.

Slowness, as silly as that sounds. I don't like dogs that are slow moving. It bugs me and starts to get on my nerves the longer I'm around a dog like that.

Your turn!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Dog aggression with me too, its not something I feel able to deal with.

Funnily enough, after losing Maddy the way I did, I am quite sure my next dog will be a 'slower' breed, or an elderly sighthound that doesn't feel the need to run so fast. I hate letting my dogs run now.

Drool. I don't do drool, period.

And anything that requires a trip to the groomers, its too long a journey!

My Photos
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Independence, being more than 50lbs, being less than 20lbs, slowness, lack of drive (to do stuff with me, lol), being gaga for strangers, drool, extreme dog aggression (I can deal with scrappiness and a certain degree of dog reactivity, but I don't think I could live with a dog that wanted to kill basically every dog we ran into), laziness.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but I can't think of anything right off.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Slowness for me, too :P it kind of bugs me in general but especially in terms of agility. I actually really don't like watching slow dogs running it so my guess is I wouldn't like to run a slow dog either.

Tiny tiny dogs (like below ten pounds generally)

Umm dogs who are super excited with strangers. I like dogs to be more aloof with them.

Sam has no toy drive and I think in the future I would like to avoid that type. It's been kind of hard to work around sometimes.

Speaking of drive, my next dog is definitely gonna be of the drivier(?) type.

Umm I think that's it mostly. There's other stuff I'd rather not have but that won't be a dealbreaker.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

- Dog aggression
- Prey drive (when it comes to small animals/small dogs. living in a city with a dog park full of toy breeds and owning a toy breed.. it's not a risk I am willing to take)
- Prof Grooming requirements (any dog that MUST be clipped, stripped, knotted etc..)
- Any dog commonly the BSL list. I'm a student who rents apartments.. just doesn't make sense
- Dog intolerant of strangers Doesn't have to be OMG friendly.. but never a breed so protective they can't deal with people coming in/out of the home
- Independent Breeds known for that kind of thing just don't float my boat. I like a team player kind of dog
- Stubborn I enjoy a dog that is eager to learn and easier to train/motivate to do things my way. Stubborness makes me want to bang my head against a wall.
- Drooly I am a neat freak. Can't deal.
- Slow moving/unathletic/lazy I run. I play. I want a dog that can keep up and who likes that kind of thing
- Hyper active /too high energy levels I love a dog that loves a long walk.. but certain lines of certain breeds contain dogs who would drive me crazy. I need a breed that is OK with one day maybe getting two walks a day without tearing up the house.
- Constant Health issues I very much lean towards healthier/longer lived breeds. I don't enjoy the vets office.. or the bills and annoyance or heartache that comes with it
- Not handler oriented This goes for breeds that tend to go off to chase smells, prey, hunt.. whatever. I tend to stick with breeds whose tendencies make them more likely to stick close
- Snarkyness Just.. no. right along with stubbornness its something that grates my nerves.
- Seriousness Breeds known for seriousness just don't suit me well. I love a sense of humor. I love a good work ethic, but it needs to be right alongside a dog who is happy to respond with wiggles and bounces to me dancing around the living room.
- Extreme facial structures This goes for most things.. very long ears, smooshed faces, wrinkles...
- Very large breeds The lifespans.. the space..
- Medium sized: like 10-30 LBS It's just a size range that has never appealed to me and I've never considered. Either the breed is tiny enough to fit in a handbag or large enough for me to touch with my fingertips as I walk..
- Any coat texture not soft to the touch Eh call it selfish but I like a dog who feels good when I pet it
- Overzealous OMG I LOVE EVERYONE This used to be number one on my list of traits a dog MUST HAVE. lol these days.. I prefer a breed that tends to be friendly/aloof with strangers.
- Breeds I don't consider visually appealing (I bent this rule for potential service dog breeds) but in general.. I need the breed to be pleasant to look at lol I'm sure I would learn to love any dog. but mostly, I tend to work around/go towards breeds I like to look at
- Lack of toy/play drive I love a dog that is excited to learn, play with toys and just play in general. The way I tend to train really centers around making everything a game so I need a dog/breed that is driven in that way
- Sharp/snarkiness I've noticed with some breeds/lines that sometimes, the first reaction to lets say..being spooked by you poking them while they are sleeping (more-so than others) is a snark, a bite, an airsnap. and that just doesn't float my boat.. I much prefer the "AH! WHAT WAS THAT?! Oh! HI HI HI HI HI I LIKE YOU!"
- Under-eager I need a dog that reeks with enthusiasm. It's the way I am.. so I tend to kind of need a dog that has the same joie de vivre haha
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Too much hair... I love some super hairy dogs but I don't think I could own them

Too many health issues... It breaks my heart but some breeds have many issues for me.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

-Another for "dog aggression", it's so wrong I live with two anyway, why do I bother?
-Beards, *gag* can't stand cold wet slimy beards.
-Drool, can not stand it! those long, sticky, strings are the worst.
-Long flowing coat, or long fluffy coats. Not that I don't like them...I just don't like dealing with the mats any longer, I'd rather spend my time doing something more productive with my dogs.
-Lazy dogs. The fat slug under the blanket on my sofa right now, doesn't do much to impress me.
-Dogs who don't "turn off". I like active, but I need a dog who can turn off!
-Smooth/smooth coats. I love winter, but it's hard enough to bundle up myself, thank goodness for this mild winter, someone hardly needed his sweater this year! Although, he does look cute in his PJ's.
-Flat faces, I cringe ever time at today's Bulldog. I Love Boston's! That is about as flat as I'll go, and I've even seen them getting flatter , I do like Frenchies also, but then we get to the next one...
-Heavy skin folds. More grooming nightmares.
-Independent, sorry, I chose to get a dog because I need to have a personal relationship with something.
-"Over-Kill" prey driven, think, terriers. Prey driven isn't a problem for me, Jin is an EXCELLENT "critter getter", but I have poultry, and you do not touch a single feather on my poultry! Jin also guards the chickens too, he knows what he is allowed to go after, and not, and when. Again, I guess some of that goes with "independence".
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Kotah BEAR

- Slowness
- Drool
- Dumb. I know that is so harsh but I love smart dogs and quick thinkers.
- Any breed I have to take to a pro groomer. Poodles are GORGEOUS, I have never met a poodle I did not like, but oh the grooming, the grooming would be a big deal breaker for.

Honestly Aussies, rescue Pittie, maybe a **** good bred GSD, and maybe BIG maybe a Golden, are the only breeds I would own.
They are so different but they all have things I LOVE and would fit me just great.

Last edited by Dakotah; 03-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

-A breed that is rabid with health issues
-DA is not a deal breaker, but if I get a DA breed I want to get the dog from a reputable breeder that has dogs that co-exist together. I would much rather deal with SSA.
-Soft tempermented breeds. Can't deal with it. Makes me want to pull my hair out
-Crazy shedding like a Corgi or a GSD
-Super OMG people dogs. Who love everyone. Its a trait I find rather annoying.
-Clinginess drives me batty. I like independent dogs that have no issues going to go play by themselves.
-No off switches. I dont think I could handle a Mal easily. It might drive me to my death. Although I do Love them, especially Sloan <3
-dogs with no drive. I need a dogs thats willing to play tug or chase a ball and wrestle
-lots of hair. Living and growing up with Bouviers have made that decision for me.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Slowness/Dullness/No drive, definitely. I love my big, drooly, doofus mastiffs, I really do, but they are nothing more than house ornaments to me. Like fish. No energy, no drive, no nothing. Just sleeping, eating, and farting. It drives me nuts. I wouldn't mind housing them, but I HAVE to have an active dog in my life to balance out. Single lazy dog would drive me crazy.

I don't like small dogs, either. Anything under my knee is too small. And I'm short, 5'2'' and none of it is in my legs. I just can't stand to have something literally under my feet, something I can't touch without bending over.

If I have to take it in to the groomers for a haircut, it isn't going to happen. I like Standard Poodles. LOVE standard Poodles. But it's never going to happen.

Dog aggression. To a certain point, it's fine. Prey drive, fine. I don't expect my dogs to love everything we run into. But I don't want a dog that I have to keep under lock and key, stress out about every little thing, freak out whenever I have to take it out of the house, etc. It's too much.

That about does it. Anything else I may not want to deal with, or could learn to.