Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I'm kind of jealous. I never get to ask my questions at Hill's lunch-n-learns because I'm not supposed to cause strife
My boss made the mistake of telling us to bring our toughest questions.

Anything you want me to ask?

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

I just remember.... A Royal Canin rep gave me a whole binder full of promotional information about their food several years ago (about 5 years now, I wonder how much has changed?), I wonder if I still have it? Hmm. It had a little one-page explanation on each of the varieties, with info like why the GSD food is star-shaped, lol. I remember thinking it didn't make a lot of sense even after reading it.

Can't wait to hear what they say!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

If it is anything like the Iams rep lunch n learns, it ought be pretty interesting
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Oooh, have fun! I do prefer their vet formulas (if I have to use them) to Hills or Purina. I'm finding, though, you can usually find some comparable that is better quality.

I love asking dog food reps 'So what makes your food natural/holistic?' when it's labeled on the bag.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Wookie Collie

Well, the seminar happened, and it was pretty much what I expected: Canned responses, all backed by "we've done the SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH to prove it". A lot of buzzwording was dropped, but their focus is on the nutrients, not the ingredients. "Most digestible nutrients backed by science." SCIENCE.

When asked the inevitable about corn, the response was that is's the best digestible source of lutein available to pet foods. This is untrue; other, higher-quality foods use kale and spinach, which have a much higher concentration of lutein, but are also more expensive to manufacture; imagine that. She kept repeating "believe me, if there was a better lutein source we wouldn't be using corn" but in the same breath would also say that corn was a highly digestible source of protein. Okay, then why don't you fully stand behind it...? Oh, right, because corn is bad.

We asked about the new Spayed/Neutered food, and why it's loaded with crap: corn as the first ingredient, rice hulls as the fifth, etc. and she said she'd get back to us. Also it's apparently designed for weight control + urinary health, which other high-end foods do with a simple weight management formula.

It went on like this. Kibble shapes? Proven to work. They have cameras in the bowls at their labs when the dogs eat, and they eat more easily with shaped kibbles. Uh huh... etc.

The rescue ranch that hosted the seminar was amazing, though. Totally what I would open if I won the lottery. Huge barn full of spacious kennels and training rooms, an indoor agility arena for rental, boarding facilities... swoooon.

RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Custom User Title

It's science bitches! Lol, it sounds exactly like the responses from the "seminar" that Lauren went to for Science Diet.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GTS View Post

It's science bitches! Lol, it sounds exactly like the responses from the "seminar" that Lauren went to for Science Diet.
hahaha, yes.

The two have very similar philosophies: Find which nutrients are the most digestible and give you the most of the nutrient. Use those.

What they don't tell you is that they're actually just using the cheaper options and backing it with the word SCIENCE everywhere.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
hahaha, yes.

The two have very similar philosophies: Find which nutrients are the most digestible and give you the most of the nutrient. Use those.

What they don't tell you is that they're actually just using the cheaper options and backing it with the word SCIENCE everywhere.
Oh believe me, I know. I hear about this allllll the time . I really just wanted to use that picture. Because SCIENCE!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Just try me..

I would love to wear one of those t shirts (I really want one, I <3 xkcd) to something like that, with lit showing BETTER sources. So you could be "well in 2003 so and so found that X is much more digestible.. how do you respond to that?" Oh man.. lol I would love to go to something like that
Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Sounds like all Hills reps go to the same training course. I asked the same question about corn and got the exact same answer. When I called her on it she told me it was backed by their scientific researchers??

When I asked about independent research she gave me a filthy look and told me she would come back to me. She never has.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/