Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
aka RedHotBabe

He said the keyboard most likely wouldn't light up nor would caps lock because he doubts those work at the BIOS level. (Although now you have him hitting the caps lock key and doubting himself. )

He said the next step would be to hook up an external monitor. If you find one, he can try to talk you through getting it working.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Twin 2

I've my dad here to see if we can get it hooked up to a moniter. He's a computer geek but doesn't know apples. My question is "what are we looking to do with it hooked up?"

And I just might take you up on your offer, let me see how far we get.

Also, thanks again so much. This computer is barely over a year old and actually had much of the inner workings replaced a few months after I got it. So thos parts are less than a year old
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Twin 2

Ooh and while I'm waiting for him to stop watching a Tom Petty concert, here is a video of it trying to start up from the disc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkQiMBY-dc&sns=em
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Taxiderpy

Aww geez, mine did this exact same stuff. I brought it in to the apple store and it turned out the hard drive was toast. They had to replace it, and now it works beautifully again.

Does it get moved around a lot while it's on, even in sleep mode? When I asked the techs what would cause it to fail like that they said that if someone closes it up while it's on, and tosses it in a backpack and carries it all over the place then that can really screw it up, since the disks inside are not meant to be jostled around while it's running. Mine had been stolen and recovered by the police, so we figured it was treated poorly by the thief.

If it's a solid state hard drive they don't have that problem though.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I've my dad here to see if we can get it hooked up to a moniter. He's a computer geek but doesn't know apples. My question is "what are we looking to do with it hooked up?"

And I just might take you up on your offer, let me see how far we get.

Also, thanks again so much. This computer is barely over a year old and actually had much of the inner workings replaced a few months after I got it. So thos parts are less than a year old
He said if you hook up a monitor and can, well, see stuff, then the screen, video card, or screen controller failed.

If the hard drive was dead, it would be able to boot from the CD just fine. And dead hard drives usually make some pretty angry noises, lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Twin 2

Romy, how much did it cost to have it replaced?

I will be upset if its that since I was bad and didn't back anything up,.but not heartbroken. What does bug me is that the harddrive was replaced less than a year ago and I never take my computer out of my house.

RedHotDobe, does the way it was freezing previously make it sound like it could have something to o do with the video card or screen?

What bothers me the most I think is how inconstant it is. Last night I couldn't get it to turn on at all other than light fan noise, then I got it to turn on to the grey screen and apple and them to boot up from the disc. Then it freezes again and I can't get it to c do anything other than fan noises unless starting up from the disc and it freezes while doing that
Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Okay, we just watched the second video. The screen isn't dead. Adam's first comment was "I don't think she held D long enough." What disc is in there right now? Can you get it to eject? I know I already said this, but the Apple Hardware Test is on Applications Install Disc 2.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Twin 2

I was in the middle of typing that it won't eject when I decided to try it again and it popped right out. The disc that was in there was the OS X installation DVD.

I just put in the other CD that mentioned the hardrive test on it. How long should I hold the D down? I did it for about a minute and a half and it had made some noises at first but then nothing and the screen stayed black.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Holding it for a minute and a half is plenty long enough. He's trying to figure out how to get it to boot from the disc, since it doesn't seem to be doing that. He said try holding C instead of D.

He's searching forums and stuff now, so I'll post again if he happens to find anything else useful.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM
aka RedHotBabe

If that doesn't work, he said try holding down option to see if you have a recovery partition, and then boot to that.