Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Twin 2

Default Computer Help Please: MacBook Pro

I swear they put a timer in it. My Mac Book pro is fresh out of warranty and is now not working.

It started freezing out of no where about a month ago and the first time it did it I couldn't get it started but finally with a SMC reset and booting it up in safemode I got it to work. Since then when it freezes I reset the SMC and start it in safe mode. And it would freeze every few days.

Then yesterday I gothome from work, checked my email and then left it open, charged on my desk. Came home and it was off and it refused to turn on. Fight with it for a few hours and finally got it to go to the grey screen, then got it to the Apple (this was multiple startups and it kept freezing on this) and finally got it to turn on from the OS X disc. Did the disc repair then permissions repair and then a down repair again. Then it froze, I had to turn it off.

Since then I haven't been able to get it farther than the Apple (if it even gets there) and it won't start up from the disc.

So yeah. I know we have computer people on here and Apple people so I was hoping I guess for any ideas.

Never going to get an Apple computer again. I have had nothing but trouble with this computer. So frustrated right now. But cheering good practice typing on my phone
Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, sorry, no advice. But I have to say I've *knock on wood* had NO problems with my macbook pro for 3 years now. I'll never have anything BUT a mac anymore. I was so sick of every laptop/desktop I got freezing and getting viruses within 6 months-one year and every one I know whose switched to a mac has never looked back.

Have you called Apple?

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Twin 2

Not yet, Ill make an appointment if I can't get anywhere but I've very bad experiences with them awhile back.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Kristen1980

Sorry, I'm no help but I'm so sick of the laptop I have now and Windows that I would LOVE to have a Macbook Pro someday!!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Hardware failure? My Windows laptop did something similar when the RAM was bad.

What version of OSX do you have? Adam said do this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509
Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Twin 2

Ugh, can't even get it to turn on now to try it. Fans go on and the disc that I can't get out now (was able to get it out before by pressing down on the touch pad and hitting power button) is spinning and making sounds but the screen stays black. Before at least it would go to the grey screen. Though last night when it wouldn't turn on at all it was much more quiet (if I put my ear to the keyboard I could hear faint humming) than it is now.

And it's Snow Leopard.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
aka RedHotBabe

He said to hold the power button to try to get it to turn all the way off, then try turning it on to run the hardware test again. Do you have an external monitor that you could hook up?

Not that it helps much since it won't eject the disc, but that link says the hardware test is on disc 2 for Snow Leopard.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Twin 2

Yeah, that's what I was doing but all it does is run the fans and stays black.

The disc that is in the OS X because I was trying to do a disc repair but it froze during it.

Here is a video showing what happens. Really boring and I use my for at one point use my foot to press a key. Hopefully some of the noise shows up in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfUc9_qWXXA&sns=em

Also, seriously appreciate you both helping. So very much!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Adam said "This is really stupid, but has she tried turning the brightness up?" Then he asked if you can plug in a monitor. It's definitely turning on and spinning/reading the disc.

He also asked if you have AIM or Google Talk.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Twin 2

I did try that early on because I am not immune to something as simple as that passing by me The keyboard doesn't light up, I tried turning on the caps lock to see if that light worked but it didn't. I have to go look to see if I have any moniter sitting around rust works

And I have both. Kinda, I'm on my phone but I do have an app for Trillian so by extension aim