Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Twin 2

Default Turkey Aversion?

Ok, so for the past month or so Traveler has had a weak stomach. He's thrown up maybe five times. I've been trying to find a pattern.

Now, I noticed that it happened once after having veggies, once after eating some chicken but it's happened each time he's had a turkey neck. He had no issue with any of his red meat, but ate a turkey neck and threw it up 10-20 minutes later.

Last time couple times he's goten a turkey neck he did not eat it fast and only seemed to eat it because another dog might get it.

Today I wanted to see if he would throw up again if he ate a turkey neck but he refused to eat it point blank. Then I figured I would give him one of the Turkey legs I have in the fridge and he refused to eat that too, spit out the piece I cut off.

So then I gave him some lamb and beef and he scarfed it down no issue.

I've always given him turkey and never had any issue. Turkey necks were a decent part of his diet up until recently.

Do you think he's developed a sensitivity to them and picked up on it? Because he's not really a dog to refuse to eat something like that.

ETA: Had no issue with his organ meat or marrow bone he got last night. Apparently rich food settles his stomach
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Its possible. I know Ivans breeder has a boy that has a turkey allergy. I'm not sure if he refuses it or what. If he has thrown up enough after eating it, he might associate the turkey taste/texture/smell with being sick and not want it.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

I've had 4 dogs that choked on turkey necks. I've heard many more stories of dogs vomiting while eating or shortly after eating turkey necks.

I quit feeding them and I won't feed them in the future.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
*Now with Snark*

Turkey seems to be hit or miss for a good number of people. My dogs have no trouble with turkey bones but I know about 5 people whose dogs can't stomach it. Everyone's dogs seem to do ok on grind.

He might just not be hungry. That happens too.

Often times weak stomach is a sign that something is going sideways with his raw feeding schedule. Too much food, empty stomach, food in the stomach too long, too cold, etc are all reasons that I've seen dogs toss their cookies.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Twin 2

Naw, he was hungry. Really hungry. But I've never had this issue up until this month.

And I guess I just find it odd he's refusing all turkey now. Well, that's not true actually. I forgot he got a turkey tail last night and ate it up fast.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
*Now with Snark*

Try mixing your turkey with another protein and see if it goes better. Any chance these birds were saline injected? I know people that it's caused issues with.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Bite me.

I can only feed turkey necks to a dog that chews and crushes bone VERY well. Which is...oops, none of mine right now.

Everyone else tends to vomit back up bone pieces, and I shudder. So no more turkey necks.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Twin 2

All of the turkey was bought from different places, different times and different sources.

I think I'm going to avoid turkey for a little while and see if everything else is kept down. So far he hasn't thrown up in a week or so. After a little while I'll add it back in if nothing else gets thrown up and see how it goes.

I just find it odd that he won't eat it when he's never been one to refuse food. THe not eating the leg was very odd.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

I tend to just listen to the dogs if they say they don't want something when they are generally good eaters. So I don't suggest trying to trick him into eating it by mixing it with other stuff. Maybe he just has gotten an icky feeling for it because he associates it with feeling nauseous. Or maybe the turkey itself makes him feel icky. Maybe it's due to a sensitivity or allergy or intolerance. I'd just feed him something else and try turkey again in a few months. If he has the same reaction, it could be some sort of allergy or intolerance. Or maybe he just doesn't like turkey

When Jagger was a puppy, he had a very similar issue with veggies. He'd refuse them then if I mixed them with something, he'd often puke them up. He outgrew it or something though because while they don't get a lot of veggies these days, he doesn't have any issues when they do.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Is the turkey the only thing you feed with edible bones in it or do you feed chicken quarters or something along those lines also? If a dog doesn't chew the bones well enough, they will end up vomiting it. If he does this enough, I wouldn't be surprised if he develops an aversion to turkey.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie