Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I have always been amused/disgusted by this story:

http://boingboing.net/2006/10/10/tsa...ates-geol.html

I have a seven plus pound laptop that I used in law school . . . I have no doubt I could beat someone to death with it if I really tried . . . yet oddly, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even blink at it if I took it on a plane.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Last time I flew I crawled out of my hotel bed in the middle of the night and scurried off to the airport. Heading through security they pull me aside after the scanners for an extra check...solely to check my hair. Because it was in a french braid. Because apparently people hide guns in their hair and the scanners and metal detectors cannot sense them through the impenetrable shield of human cells.

It was just odd.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
They tried to confiscate sheet silver from my mother (that's solid sterling silver sheet) because it had "sharp edges."

Because 64 year old women hold up airplanes with precious metals all the time.

Then there's this:

http://dailybail.com/home/adam-savag...-but-they.html
It's not the bumped up security that gets me. It's the absolute lack of regularity, it's like each airport has it's own set of rules that is then interpreted by the guards who may or may not change their minds every 5 minutes. That and the insane lack of sense.

When this was all brand new I flew home with my betta fish in a Gatorade bottle. Yes it was a liquid, I didn't really know about the new rules at that time, but there is a living animal swimming about. What in the hell kind of explosive/poison is kind to fish. They wanted me to put my fish, my living fish in the trash can...I honestly thought it had to be a practical joke.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Top Dog

They took my uncle's nail clippers but let him keep the nail scissors.

What. the. eff.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Top Dog

I have always heard that scissors, according to official rules, should be fine to carry on. And I know without a doubt that knitting needles, be they metal or wood, are absolutely allowed. Anyone who says otherwise isn't following the rules.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

We fly a few times a year and have been lucky to never have a hassle with security. They've always been speedy and polite. The last time, we were traveling with Clive, so had to go through the area where they test bottles and such. They were speedy, entertained Clive, and did their best to get us on our way quickly.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

You should hear what the TSA officers find on occasion. An astonishing amount of people take sex toys on board for example.

Anyway, I always felt that our TSAs were stricter here in Germany - or rather they payed more attention to whats inside your bag. I should try getting nail scissors or something past them this summer. In the US they were always kind of easy going. When I flew from Boston to Germany a while ago there was NO ONE even at the security check point. I could have just walked right through. And when someone did come, he didn't even look at the monitor while my bag went through.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

That's part of the problem, Gypsy. We have lots and lots of rules, many of which are ill-defined and left up to the individual TSA person to interpret (and many of which are stupid), but the staff is poorly trained, poorly paid and all too often incompetent and on a power trip because for the first time in their lives they can tell people what do to.

So they try to confiscate fish, rocks, sheet silver, empty lighters . . . and miss boxcutters (!), razor blades, knives, guns . . . its totally arbitrary and completely ineffective.

When I still smoked, I knew perfectly well that I could get lighters through security. Not once did they confiscate one . . . not because they were nice, but because they didn't see them . . . because they weren't paying attention.

When they chose to pay attention . . . who knows what stupid thing they will fixate on.

So . .. to sum up . . . leaving aside issues of whether half these rules are necessary or make us safer . . . they arbitrarily enforce rules that no one understands in ways that honestly make no sense, and miss very obvious, well know threats while they are at it.

And oh, for the sheet silver carrying people of the world, they steal things from your checked luggage, making it really hard to transport your sheet silver (and lord help you if you work in it, gold) because you can't check it, and you can't--evidently--carry it on. What are you supposed to do, FedEx?

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Kristen1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
You should hear what the TSA officers find on occasion. An astonishing amount of people take sex toys on board for example.
True One of my friends works at the sex shop in Hollywood and thats the number 1 question she always get asked, can I carry my toy in my carry on baggage or do I put in my suitcase? Obviously, its a very important question and peeps are very serious about it
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

So ridiculous how many things get through, compared to what's taken away.

I was worried they wouldn't let me take the cookies on that my mom gave me, too. HA

My Polyvore