Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Active Pup

Default Pet peeves of pet owners

I have several, but overweight dogs is a humongous one. I'm not talking about owners who see the problem and are trying to fix it. I'm talking about those whose dogs are grossly overweight and the owners brush it off with "she's just big boned", "it's all muscle" or "but we love him, we're not going to obsess over his weight". Then come the faux fixers, they've tried everything but nothing works, everything but actually sticking to something instead of making excuses about why they can't.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Oh so many.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people let their dog offleash when they don't have a reliable recall. And the they make a half hearted attempt to call it back as it barrels towards me and my dog. And the they nonchalantly call over 'don't worry! He's friendly!' .. well, what if my dog wasn't? It's even more annoying when they stand back and giggle and make no attempt to call their dog back.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

People who don't pick up their dogs poop.
This also applies to: people who leave the bags around, people to throw bags off trail, ANYBODY who doesn't pick up and carry it to a garbage can.

"I don't want to carry it around.."
other people don't want to see/step on it. You turd!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Resident fainting goat

People who think their obviously mixed breed dog is some rare niche breed they saw in a book.

People who think their breed of dog is SOOOO different than any other, poops rainbows, reads people, has the brain of a person, psychic powers...I've heard it all at some point or another.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Highbread Dingbat

"S/He's Friendly!"
Owners speaking of rampant off-leash dog inappropriately approaching leashed dogs in an on-leash area.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
People who don't pick up their dogs poop.
This also applies to: people who leave the bags around, people to throw bags off trail, ANYBODY who doesn't pick up and carry it to a garbage can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfozz View Post
"S/He's Friendly!"
Owners speaking of rampant off-leash dog inappropriately approaching leashed dogs in an on-leash area.
These two are the big ones for me!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
People who think their obviously mixed breed dog is some rare niche breed they saw in a book.
But he looks EXACTLY like this photo I found on teh internet! *shows photo of kooikerhondje*

Ummmm no. You have a Brittany mix.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-28-2014, 02:47 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryJerks View Post
I have several, but overweight dogs is a humongous one. I'm not talking about owners who see the problem and are trying to fix it. I'm talking about those whose dogs are grossly overweight and the owners brush it off with "she's just big boned", "it's all muscle" or "but we love him, we're not going to obsess over his weight". Then come the faux fixers, they've tried everything but nothing works, everything but actually sticking to something instead of making excuses about why they can't.
These are big ones for me as well.

Also add: Approaching my dogs without asking, whether it be a person, children, or a person with a child/dog. I have gotten very, very good at sending off, "Do NOT approach" vibes when I'm out with my dogs, but sometimes it doesn't always work. Not that my current dogs are bite risks (although Abrams has decided he is now dog selective), but I'm so used to having dogs that are either DA or HA to some extent and while properly behaved in public, they don't need to be handled by strangers.

I was SO happy when I was back in Indiana and my family and I went hiking, because I took Chloe with us and although she got a few compliments about how pretty she was (really, with the hack groom job I gave her? ), I made a point to stand between her and the other people with her in a heel position, and I never faced them directly. They all got the point and didn't try to reach out and pet her.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

"My dog works for praise!"

Most dogs really, really, really won't. And I don't consider 'sit sit sit siiiiiiit sit look he sat!' to be "working" on the part of the dog. Please don't be down on those of use using motivators other than praise to achieve our goals just because you didn't have to--our goals might be different, our dogs might be different, who knows. But using a tug as a reward to get a competition level heel isn't cheating (unless you try to take it into the ring I guess lol), and my dog doesn't value pets enough for that to work as a reward.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I admit that I do this all the time

We live on a public rail trail and the trashcans are very far apart (~2 miles) so if we're not near one or I know we won't pass one, I just leave it and pick it up on my way back. If he poops 0.2 miles from my house I don't want to carry it 1 mile out and 1 mile back when I can just carry it 0.2 miles back to my house at the end of the walk.

I feel guilty about it every time. Does that make it better?

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12