Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Default Do you think this is sound advice?

So my future sister in law is a runner, and apparently she has encountered some loose (not sure how aggressive) dogs in her area recently.

She asked a local animal control worker for advice on what to do if the dogs accost her (aggressive or not).

I am not sure how I feel about the advice given since without context or knowledge of the dogs behavior and body language I can not be sure what the exact situations looked like when she ran into them...

So do you guys think she should take this as gospel and follow it?

Here is what she was told:

"Stand tall, chest out, yell loudly and deeply, look right at them. Back away slowly, against a fence if possible. Take a picture (I'm none too good at naming dog breeds, and apparently would do lousy with a sketch artist...) for verification and also because many dogs are confused by them. Don't use pepper spray (sorry, honey). Be as strong and dominant as possible, and focus attention on the more dominant of them, if more than one."

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Here is what she was told:

"Stand tall, chest out, yell loudly and deeply, look right at them. Back away slowly, against a fence if possible. Take a picture (I'm none too good at naming dog breeds, and apparently would do lousy with a sketch artist...) for verification and also because many dogs are confused by them. Don't use pepper spray (sorry, honey). Be as strong and dominant as possible, and focus attention on the more dominant of them, if more than one."
Meh. I will stand tall, stare down, and run AT a dog, while yelling if I think it might work to stop them from coming closer, but if I was in an area where loose dogs were common I'd just get a can of Spray Shield citronella spray, learn how to use it, and use as needed.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Meh. I will stand tall, stare down, and run AT a dog, while yelling if I think it might work to stop them from coming closer, but if I was in an area where loose dogs were common I'd just get a can of Spray Shield citronella spray, learn how to use it, and use as needed.
This.

A lot can also be said for ignoring a dog, depending on their behavior. When I would walk my childhood dogs and we were approached by another dog, if I hollered at it my dogs would flip out towards the strange dog because they viewed me as aggressing, so they were going to aggress, too. Then the other dog would react. If we ignored the other dog and kept on about our business, more often than not the dog would leave us alone after initial barks/advancement.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Yeah it would really just depend how threatened I felt. That seems like overkill for most barky dogs.

Usually I'd just keep an eye on the dog while ignoring it.

If a thought a dog was aggressive enough to attack I'd probably try something like described, but as need eg start by backing up, if the dog is still very threatening then holler at it, etc.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

I've been charged by loose dogs before, usually when tracking or laying tracks. Most of the time, they keep they're difference with yelling if they're already nervy spookbags to begin with, but I also carry a 4ft long 1" diameter PVC pipe with me. Originally used it as a walking stick to drop my food bait in while track laying, but eventually ended up using it against a nasty Rottweiler who wouldn't back off. I didn't have to make physical contact with the dog because he backed off once he was close to swinging distance and I charged him with the pole flying, but I carry it always now.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:20 PM
such sights to show you

Yea I'm not gonna try to stare down and bluff a dog I don't know. I'd carry citronella spray or an air horn.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yea I'm not gonna try to stare down and bluff a dog I don't know. I'd carry citronella spray or an air horn.

This.

IMO, that's some odd advice. And probably going to get someone bitten.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My big worry here is that as far as I know she is not very dog savvy and also does not have the skill to read a dog...

In some contexts I am worried that that advice could get her injured

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Most of the time, they keep they're difference with yelling if they're already nervy spookbags to begin with,
I was going to say...they better hope the dog is a nervy spookbag, because otherwise they are going to get bitten if the dog is confident it can take you on.

If I was walking alone with no weapon and I spotted an intent dog running straight towards me, I would immediately stop, relax and avert my position so I'm not facing the dog square, and definitely avoid eye contact. I wouldn't move until someone got the dog or the dog lost interest and moved on. I actually did this a bit when delivering pizza, with any dog that concerned me.