Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Hey that looks just like my lost best friend, Fran. LOL

My Polyvore
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
My dog tickles my soul

We have a Cooper's Hawk that visits our backyard now and again. We also have a retention pond just behind our fence so we see blue herrons... and geese. GEESE! *shakes fist*

Other than that, the usual backyard birds on the feeder.

Oh! And we had a snapping turtle in our front yard a few years ago. Angry thing, that!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

The only ones I've physically SEEN around us... hmm... well deer. Tons of them. Rabbits, of course. I did see a groundhog of sorts one day pop out of the ground. Seen a few foxes here and there-most were rabid or mange or whatever, and out during the day, kind of scary. Saw one coyote in a neighborhood which scared me too! I know we HAVE more but I never really see anything else.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Active Pup

Red tailed hawks. Bluejays. Cardinals. Squirrels. Flying Squirrels. Chipmunks. Rabbits. Woodpeckers. Hummingbirds. Skunks. Raccoons. Vultures. Deer. Deer Poop. (the poop is the most prominent of them all!)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

A BUNCH of squirrels, also mockingbirds are probably the most common, along with the Carolina wren, blue jay, and cardinal. We get a lot of flocks of birds coming in and out, when they migrate. We find a lot of dead Oppussums, raccoon, and armadillos too. We had a raccoon nesting across the street from us, and her and her babies killed our chickens.

We've got some bald eagles, a lot of ospreys and hawks, and a bunch of Turkey. I don't see deer that much, but we know people who hunt them, so there must be at least a decent amount. Do Mosquitos count? 'Cause we have them in abundance. Also black snakes and corn snakes, and some water moccasins. And lizards.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Raccoons, possums, fox, gulls, pigeons, assorted and sundry song birds. There are coyotes, but I've not seen one, and certainly deer, but they stay a bit further out, generally. Twice we've had cougars in the area, but they were probably escapees and wildlife rounded them up pretty fast.
You have Cougars in Alexandria? 0_o

Adding on to Lilavati's post, there are rabbits, groundhogs, opossums, woodpeckers, tons of turkey vultures (they thrive on all the deer people hit around here), wild turkeys in some areas, eagles (the brown kind), hawks, ducks, geese, the occasional crane (which is awesome to see), and if you go in the more rural areas, such as near the protected parkland, there is the occasional black bear. People already mentioned squirrels, and So. Many. Skunks. And feral cats, do those count?

There are some neat insects in our area people don't think about. The Eastern Scarab beetle is cool. They are a rare find, and they get almost as big as your hand. Another rare find is the dobsonfly. They are big and pretty wicked looking with those pincers, but pretty harmless. We also have plenty of stick bugs and praying mantises. We got snakes too, copperheads are plentiful, as are garter snakes and great big black rat snakes (one time when I worked at GMU a snake came in the building and I called the maintenance guys to deal with it and had I known it was just a garter and that the maintenance guys were going to smash it to death, I would have caught it myself and released it outside). Also plentiful is the salamander and toad population. Got lots of frog species. Plenty of arachnid species as well, none of 'em really get that big except wolf spiders, they can get sizable.

I won't even touch on the rodents and fish. Lots of species of those. I love nature

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

The only actual "wildlife" I see here in the city is birds - and sometimes bunnies. I do see parrots on occasion though.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

Here directly in my yard there are white tailed deer, and wild hogs (though I've eaten most of those and am waiting for them to repopulate). Also, there are rabbits, squirrels, racoons, opossum, coyote, a neat hawk that hangs around a lot, and a pair of woodpeckers along with the occasional sand hill crane and great blue heron.

Not directly in my yard are more vultures than you could ever care to count, a lot of osprey, turkey, and you cant forget about the dolphins, manatees, and gators.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

We have Red Deer everywhere, like to the point they are a PITA

We also have otters (not seen all that often, but the trails from them are), harbour seals (seen daily), several birds of prey, the very occasional badger, greylag geese (loads and loads and loads), and a million and one rabbits at the beach.

My Photos
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Our school recently got in trouble from the FDA or something because all of them on campus were GROSSLY over-weight from being fed by college students.. they also aren't scared of people at all.
This is really funny! LOL
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.