Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

White tailed deer, bear, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums, hawks (mostly red tailed, but some Sharp shinned, too), owls, turkeys, ducks, Canadain geese, snow geese, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, ring necked pheasants, turkey vultures (man, are those things UGLY!!), various song birds, humming birds, mice, snakes, box and snapping turtles, bald eagles, mourning doves, crows.

Oh, and can't forget the cave crickets!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

We always see large birds of prey here. I'm not sure what they are, but they have white breasts that look like they might have brown or black flecking on them.

Growing up in NC, I saw raccoons, foxes!, bobcats, bears, deer, the usual. In VA, the same but I also saw lots of dolphins and sharks, horseshoe crabs and blue crabs, eels, egrets, gulls.

I once ran within a foot of a groundhog and we just stared at eachother. I was really young, so it was about the size of me. I fully expected it to haul it in the opposite direction and never stop but I just kept getting closer, and it just laid there. While I was mulling over in my tiny head whether or not it would be a good idea to pick up this groundhog and make it my new best friend, it unfroze and ran away. I lost my best friend that day.

My Polyvore
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
swimming upstream

just wandering through my yard--turkey, squirrels, woodpeckers, rabbits, skunks, deer, opossum, a variety of birds--and if we're really talking wildlife, the nasty little kids that live behind my house......
Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Owls, pigeons, bobcats, coyotes, donkeys, and reptiles.

We have horses but they're up the mtn a ways.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Alligators , Nutria ,Beever , Cranes . pelicans ,
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Mutts to you

White-tailed deer, rabbits, raccoons (lots and lots of raccoons), opossums, grey squirrels, fox squirrels, chipmunks, skunks (sigh), coyotes (one was bold enough to come within fifty feet of the barn), red fox, armadillos (mostly dead on the side of the road). A couple pair of barred owls live in the woods behind the house, a great horned owl lives towards the back of the property. Lots of songbirds - we have a pair of summer tanagers who show up every year, along with a pair of Eastern towhees. Saw a bald eagle last year at the neighbor's lake. We're in the flight path for snow geese so we get to see huge flocks fly over twice a year. Great blue heron, mallards, Canadian geese, red-tailed hawks, sharp-shinned hawks, turkeys, turkey vultures...

Was driving home the other day and saw a couple of turkey vultures sitting on the edge of the road. I slowed down, wishing I had a camera, when they took off. A red-tailed hawk also took off - he'd been maybe six feet away from the vultures in the little ditch alongside the road. He/she had some kind of prey because a split second later, a second red-tail swooped down, snagged the meal and flew off.

Not sure if it was the same hawk that lost the meal but when I pulled into our place further down the road, a hawk came swooping by at tree top level, making all sorts of noise. It circled a couple of times, harangued me a bit more and left.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm All Ears

whitetail, coyotes, grey foxes, squirrels, rabbits (cottontails), raccoons, opossum, toads, red eared slider, red tail hawks, great horned owls, armadillo, little field mice, rats, skinks, lots of spiders, scorpions

I see a lot of animals around here. We've had all of the above come through my dad's yard.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Commonly seen in our area is Whitetailed deer by the dozens(even in my back yard which is IN town), raccoons, possoms, skunks, squirrels, rabbits,snakes, crows, geese and ducks, song birds, turtles of various kinds. Most turtles I will pull over and move to safety, but those large snappers stay. Less commonly seen but becoming more common are the red tailed hawks, smaller hawks, herons, bald eagles. We hear coyotes in the evenings from my porch. My husband has seen a bobcat on his way home from work before.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
<--------Orson

I know there is no way I can name them all, but here's a list of what I commonly see:

Squirrels, rabbits, foxes, beavers, opossums, deer, ducks, geese, owls, woodpeckers, vultures, blue heron, cranes, a variety of hummingbirds, coyotes on occasion as well.

We do have bobcats, but I've never seen one in person. We used to have black bears years ago, but they are apparently extinct to the state now??
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

We have many in new england, but my favorite are the groundhogs.

Our school recently got in trouble from the FDA or something because all of them on campus were GROSSLY over-weight from being fed by college students.. they also aren't scared of people at all.

We technically aren't supposed to feed them anymore
but just look at them!!

We all feed the one outside our dorm nearly everyday..
We named him Cornelius and he likes lucky charms and nutrigrain bars