Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We have much of what has already been mentioned.

White tail deer, opposum, squirrels... so many squirrels and FAT ones at that. foxes, rabbits, lots of birds... GEESE especially. can't think of what else.

The deer are quite plentiful. Especially in this one area that's owned by a golf course and they are protected there. BIG herd and they don't give a flying fig about you or your vehicle lol. they know you'll stop and they take their sweet time. But there is also lots of opportunity to just pull over and watch them for a while since they aren't skittish.

We have a rabbit that has decided to make a home under our deck. Lucky us... the dogs are tortured by this rabbit.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
MIiA

Racoons, skunks (much to Jake's chagrin), assorted song-birds, hawks of various sorts, osprey, white-tailed deer and coyotes. I'm sure I'm missing some, but those are the common sorts.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
*Now with Snark*

We have LOADS of wildlife in this area.
There is the run of the mill - rabbits, squirrels, black tail deer, possom, seals, sealions, raccoons, bald eagles, golden eagles, and finches of all colors. These western tanagers are my favorite - they're about the size of a big finch/sparrow.

There are the don't see those every day but maybe a few times a year- otters, beaver, martins, roosevelt elk, weasels, coyotes, skunks, orca, grey whales. Salmon we have swim by the island a good deal of the year but you can really see them jumping in late summer.

Then there are the pretty rare to be seen wildlife. Cougars, bobcat, black bear, mountain goats, etc. I've only seen them a few times in my life.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Bobcats and Wild Hogs are seen pretty regularly too.
Oh, I forgot to list those! We have those, too, along with badgers and raccoons. There are a lot of coyotes here, but you almost never see them. I've seen them only once or twice. They're usually too clever to allow themselves to be seen. I also forgot the creepy crawlies. There are a ton of reptiles around here. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, red racer snakes, king snakes, and numerous lizards.

I'd love to see a flock of wild parrots! I bet they're gorgeous.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Whitetail deer are everywhere here, but I don't usually worry about counting them... I'm more concerned with making sure they don't randomly decide to bolt into my car... Foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, all kinds of birds, owls swoop around if you're out late enough, when we were kids we would do that thing where you throw a rock up in the air and you can see bats come diving at it because they think it's a bug. Red-tailed hawks are really common even in the city, pheasant waddle along the side of the road in the country sometimes and really freak me out because my uncle accidentally drove over one once, it got stuck up in the wheel well and almost killed him... turkey vulture you usually see flying around, not usually down on the ground, opossum, raccoon, I don't usually see skunk though I smell them often enough. When you get down a bit closer to Southern Illinois you also see gray wolves and armadillos, though admittedly they are usually roadkill. =/

Oh, I still remember one day I was driving out to Auggie's breeder's house and a turkey vulture came swooping down right in front of my car. I thought I was going to hit it. Completely freaked me out, I'm pretty sure I was yelling "NOOOOOO!!" Those things are not exactly small, and coming right at you is really intimidating, LOL.

You can sometimes see bald eagles, it's getting more common to just kind of see them hanging out random places. It's still a really big deal though. There are rivers where they love to congregate during the winter because those rivers don't freeze and they can still hunt, but I'm not near any of those. I haven't seen one out since I was a kid though. =<

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
orange iguanas.

Uh. Squirrels. Basically.

And various birds. And foxes. Used to have a huge rabbit population but I don't really see them much anymore, and wonder if it has anything to do with foxes being more popular now.

There must be opposums too, because Juno battled one in the backyard once. But that's the only time I've ever seen one.

We used to have an oddly large turkey population a couple blocks from my house, but they have since put buildings in that area and now the turkeys are gone... which is kind of sad even though they were a little frightening.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
love herds

Well, I am living in the city right now, so we have.... Pigeons? Being a country kid my entire life up until last fall I had never seen a 'real city pigeon', or heard one...the first time I heard one coo I thought someone was strangling a cat I always kind of imagined they would sound more like doves We also have squirrels that are the size of house cats. I hate the city.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Mainly dead badgers
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Just try me..

I keep thinking of more lol. We have turkeys. They were reintroduced and have been doing really really well. Its not uncommon to see flocks of 20 or more.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Blonde Raccoon

At home in Canada we have coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, beavers, opossums and loads of rabbits. And I'm from the city (Toronto).

Here in the UK .. squirrels and foxes. And hedgehogs when it gets warmer.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.