Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default What kind of local wildlife do you have?

We were traveling home from a trip the other night. I was driving, and played my favorite game of "count the wildlife". It helps me stay more aware of all the animals I need to dodge, LOL. I start my count when I'm about 75 miles from home, when I turn on to the super-quiet country roads. I counted 87 mule deer, 3 fox, and 5 rabbits. And those were only the ones I saw clearly on the edge of the road. There were a ton more unidentified blurs on the edge of my headlights, but I never count those.

And I almost hit an entire herd of javalina (also known as collard peccaries)! There were about a dozen animals clustered in the middle of the road. I had to hit the brakes and come to a dead stop. The javalina, of course, didn't bother to hurry across. They're arrogant little suckers that make way for no vehicle. I had to sit and wait while they leisurely meandered their way to the other side of the road.

My personal high count for deer on that stretch is 112, and my low is somewhere in the 40s. I also usually see at least one or more elk. When the warmer weather hits, I will see a ton of armadillo, porcupine, skunk, turkey, turkey vultures, hawks and ravens. I think the rarest animal I've seen has been an albino crow, but I've also seen a peregrine falcon. My personal goal is to see one of the mountain lions or bears that live around here, but alas, no luck so far.

What kind of wildlife do you see where you live? Are they as numerous as they are out here, or is a sighting fairly rare?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Kristen1980

We have wild parrots that like to make a ruckass around 6am and 6pm. They gather early in the morning, leave during the day and gather in the evening. They're pretty to watch
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Wild At Heart

Armadillo and Opossum... aka the most annoy creatures on the planet You see them pretty much daily here. Can I just say how much I HATE Armadillos?! They have dug so many holes in our yard and make me trip daily - UGH.

Whitetail Deer are always out, especially on I-10 but thankfully they are so used to the sounds of cars they don't even lift their heads up. Everywhere else they will try to kill you, lol. Bobcats and Wild Hogs are seen pretty regularly too.

Harleigh <3
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've seen many many foxes and coyote and mule and white tail deer. I've seen one mountain lion, and I can't really be sure I saw him. We we're driving on the blue ridge, and I just happened to look over in time to see its rear end disappear into the woods.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Raccoons, possums, fox, gulls, pigeons, assorted and sundry song birds. There are coyotes, but I've not seen one, and certainly deer, but they stay a bit further out, generally. Twice we've had cougars in the area, but they were probably escapees and wildlife rounded them up pretty fast.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Just try me..

On our property we have had foxes, deer, bear, short tailed stoats, raccoon, skunks, porcupines . Around we have loads of coyotes, some wolves, flying squirrels, regular squirrels, chipmunks, badger.. not sure what else.. I am sure I am forgetting some..
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Ducks, coyotes, red foxes, squirrels, red squirrels, grey wolves, porcupines, skunks, raccoons...

I think that's pretty well it for around here... That's all within a 15 minute drive

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Squirrels! Lots and lots of squirrels! So common I forgot them, though there are fewer at the new house.

And crows. Lots of those too.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Just try me..

Oh beavers, and rabbits... so many rabbits. All sorts of birds... hawks, vultures, song birds, finches, owls, falcons..
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Oh beavers, and rabbits... so many rabbits. All sorts of birds... hawks, vultures, song birds, finches, owls, falcons..
^^ This plus wolves, cougars, Bears, foxes, coyotes, deer, elk, moose.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff