Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
My vet is the one who told me that going to a pharmacy would be cheaper
You're lucky, my vet won't do it. Something about how he looses the profit he makes off selling drugs. Doesn't make sense to me, though, he sure charges enough for the office visit.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Love my pets

I've gotten some of the $4 ones at Walmart. My vet has no problem with me checking other places to get a cheaper price.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Chihuahua Power!

My mom used to get her poodle's heart meds at Walmart, since it was a $4 prescription. Her vet was the one who told her about it.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Due to loss of profits, many do charge to write the Rx. I've heard it from other (non local to me) people.

Sadly, I do understand vets need to make a living too, and health care is not cheap, but I can't afford as a student to go in for no reason anymore due to the extra gouges, like extra costs on my pups Rxs in me trying to save a little.

I'm glad you've never heard of it Saeleofu. It really bugs me.. I just need to be happy neither of my guys needs daily meds (yet)..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

One of the prescriptions for Auggie, I asked if I could get it at another pharmacy. The woman on the phone was like "Why? Is there a problem getting it here?" I told her it's a 25 minute drive across two towns to come get it, so if I don't HAVE to come over there and get it, I'd rather pick it up locally. She didn't tell me they would charge me extra to send the Rx to another pharmacy but she was quite pissy about it. It ended up not being something other pharmacies had in stock so I got it from them anyway... but it was sort of strange. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever asked if they could send the Rx somewhere else... I dunno, maybe I am. But the attitude I got just for asking still strikes me as bizarre.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
overdogged

I wonder where they're getting the Interceptor, as Novartis says it only sells to veterinarians. So you're looking at Gray Market stuff with that.

But human drugs, sure. I used to get my poodle's benezepril and eye medication at the regular pharmacy, Steve's xanax comes from the regular pharmacy.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I get the poodles SA meds for $4 for 60 days (I had vet write it for a higher strength so I can spit them - mwahahahaha) and Kiba's antibiotics are free under the local pharmacy's generic drugs saver program.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Gambit gets his Clomiprimine two doors down from the vet at Ingles. It's on their generic plan. My vet has never had an issue sending his prescriptions out.

Of course, with the amount of money I spend at the vets lately, I've probably sent a few kids to college. When I took Gambit yesterday, the entire staff knew us both by name.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Gambit gets his Clomiprimine two doors down from the vet at Ingles. It's on their generic plan. My vet has never had an issue sending his prescriptions out.

Of course, with the amount of money I spend at the vets lately, I've probably sent a few kids to college. When I took Gambit yesterday, the entire staff knew us both by name.
It's Sad, I can walk into my vets office or call and they know I'm the ferret lady.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
It's a shame that it's illegal to do that for people, but perfectly fine in the pet world.
Actually we were taught it's illegal in the pet world. Don't know if that's true or not but it was a lawyer who specialized in animal cases that was talking to us that day so I'd hope she'd know right.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown