Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Another multiple dog thread.

Another Q for multiple dog owners.

Last time Frodo was part of a multiple dog home he would throw a fit if I took one of the other dogs out. Barking, jumping on the door, etc when I would leave with another dog.

Is this common in multiple dogs home?
When/if I get another dog how can I prepare for this or work on it?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Sarama and Docket are hideously jealous if I take just one of them. However, once I am out of eyesight and earshot, they calm down. I just shut the one I'm not taking in the bedroom (where they usually spend the day) while I'm working with the other.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Pepper doesn't care if I take the boys and she gets left behind, but the boys care. They will carry on for a LONG time... Payton with his singing, Auggie barking and throwing himself against the door and doing all kinds of stupid stuff that's likely to break him. I have a video of me doing 2x2 weaves with Auggie and throughout the entire video you can hear Payton singing up in his crate, "WOOOOOO woo woo woooo WOOOOOO wooo woo woooowoowoowooooo WOOOOO..." sigh.

We're working on it, mostly with Crate Games. It's gotten a LOT better in the crates, but I haven't been able to work on generalizing it outside of the crate yet. I eventually want to be able to put one dog in a down-stay and work the other, then switch, and not have to crate or ex-pen anybody out of the way.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

UGH! When I got Zuma, I couldn't work her without Classic throwing a hissy fit, like slamming himself against our sliding glass door. So we started working on a place behavior while I was working with Zuma. He already had a pretty solid "Mat", so we just built on that. It started with me giving him treats constantly to now I can just randomly reward him once or twice a session. I started to transition this to me working Zuma outside recently by containing Classic on our deck where I could still toss him rewards and I will slowly move him inside while Zuma and I are outside. I really, really want a Manners Minder so I can work on this easier.

The other thing I do, whenever I leave with one dog, the dog that stays home gets something massively amazing. That way they never even notice that we are gone.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Lord Cynical

Honestly, I had that issue when i had 2 dogs... but once I had 3, it stopped. The most they'll do is run to the bedroom so they can watch me leave.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

mine don't like it but they seem to understand that they need to behave to get their turn so they mostly just watch intently. I use it to my advantage and will work one dog in front of the others intentionally then switch to build more desire to work in the "off" dogs

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Just try me..

Depends on which dog is being left behind. The whippets don't care. They want to go, but forget after a few seconds. Kaiden is the same. Dekka however can be destructive to things (doors.. windows) if I leave with another dog.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

They do look a little disappointed when I go out with one and not the other, but they tend to not make a huge fuss.

Training at home, unless they are out of earshot or otherwise engaged (ie. sprawled out on someone's bed in the air-conditioning) then yes, Abby will carry on like a pork chop. But then, she will bark in her crate a bit if I stop a session to do something else like speak to a neighbour, write some notes, check the oven. So really, there doesn't have to be action with another dog for her to become her bossy little vocal self. Crate games is also making this better for us.
Funnily enough, in the crate relaxing at home she is fine - you don't hear a peep, but the minute training is involved no matter how quiet the environment or whether I'm training another dog or not, she lets it be known that I'm not working with her. Grufffff.... (long pause).... Grufff.....Gruf Gruf.... (long pause) Grrrrrr. Sometimes she is so quiet, it's just like she muttering under her breathe. Just another thing we have to work on.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My dogs are upset but have mostly given up.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I have worked on taking one dog out of the crate and working on something they already know, or playing, and c/t dogs that are crated for being quiet. And slowly progress it to me and other dog leaving room. They are pretty much okay with the dogs that aren't their best buds, still working on it with dogs that have favorites.