Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default House Traing while I am away...?

Does anyone have any tips on how to help with housetraining while I am out of the house?

We don't have many accident while I am in... I am not sure if Bodhi is actually learning though, or whether I am letting her out too often (if that is possible!!). I do all the praising when she goes outside, although we are letting her have a free run of the back now, so cannot get to her asap to
praise every elimination.

She is fantastic overnight. We crate her in a crate large enough for her bed, and some paper at the other end. She will have maybe one #1 during the night, and goes straight out in the morning for #2!! So, I know she can hold it for a certain length of time.

My main concern is while I am at work... I wish I didn't work, but, I do I leave paper down in one corner while I am out (we have a large kitchen where she stays), and she will usually #1 on the paper, but tends to #2 around the paper. I don't mind accidents (she is a puppy!!) but, are there any methods to help her housetraining while I am gone? I realise it will take longer, but any help will be appreciated

Sorry for the waffle!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Top Dog

I think your puppy is doing a great job when it comes to using the papers and not your floors. How old is your puppy? The older your puppy becomes the longer they'll be able to hold it. Also, how long are you gone that your puppy is alone?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Sit! Good dog.

She is 11 weeks on Thursday So still a baby.

I work flexi, but I usually leave the house just before 9. My bf is usually home between 4 and 4.30.

I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage her to either

a) hold it a bit longer (I am not expecting miracles here though!)

b) Always go on the paper (she isn't 100% on this - as I have never actually asked her to go on the paper, always praised for outdoor eliminations).

Would it be worth encouraging her to go on the paper? ie. praise her for it... Just while I am there and supervising her, I would rather she went outside... Seems like a catch 22!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Big Dog

Does Bodhi have a command that she associates with eliminating? It might help her to associate when the right time to go is.

Also, I think you are doing the right thing by only praising her for going outside. No sense in training her twice.

dog food recipes | dog biscuit recipes | dog treat recipes at Rover's Recipes.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

Could you have a friend, relative or neighbor come in and let her out inbetween the time your bf comes home? You could also hire a pet sitter.