Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm All Ears

i know if I had to crate and rotate with my dogs, they wouldn't get nearly enough time and attention. I have a very busy schedule and so most of the doggie stuff we do, we do together. If they started trying to kill each other I don't think it would work out.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
i know if I had to crate and rotate with my dogs, they wouldn't get nearly enough time and attention. I have a very busy schedule and so most of the doggie stuff we do, we do together. If they started trying to kill each other I don't think it would work out.
You are also one person. Its much easier when there is a family of people looking after and spending time with the dogs. I don't think it would work here nearly so well if I had to look after Sport and Kaiden. But Darien looks to Sports needs and I look after Kaiden. It works well because I am not going it alone.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Then again I don't rush home to let one dog out. They are pretty much all crated when I am gone.
I have time limits on what I consider acceptable time waiting in a crate for me to be gone. It is my personal preference. So when you're 45 minutes from town to begin with, yes, sometimes I cut things short to come home and let dogs out, especially puppies! I also have horses that eat three times a day as well.

I spend all day with my dogs. Our sport is time consuming and intense. Training, tracking, conditioning, playing, and hanging out time too. Repeat x2 for my dogs, and my husband x2 for his dogs. Takes a bit of time everyday.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
I have time limits on what I consider acceptable time waiting in a crate for me to be gone. It is my personal preference. So when you're 45 minutes from town to begin with, yes, sometimes I cut things short to come home and let dogs out, especially puppies! I also have horses that eat three times a day as well.

I spend all day with my dogs. Our sport is time consuming and intense. Training, tracking, conditioning, playing, and hanging out time too. Repeat x2 for my dogs, and my husband x2 for his dogs. Takes a bit of time everyday.
This. I had to crate and rotate my two danes and it was horribly time consuming even with my husband's help. Even though I've always walked/trained dogs separately, it's just the general out and about time that is consuming especially when both dogs needed to be crated when left alone anyways. If I had 3 hours of downtime at home between teaching and working, each dog only had 1.5 hours of time out of their crate (not counting walks and what not). To me, that wasn't fair and the dogs began to show stress behaviors as well. Eventually, Titan was rehomed and it has worked out wonderfully for all involved.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if I could crate and rotate. I guess if I had to, I could, but having dogs that all get along and can be out together is much more enjoyable. I can't envision it happening, but if Keira and Dance suddenly didn't get along I know I could not part with either of them unless things were dire and I absolutely had to. And so we'd have to seperate and rotate them somehow, even if it wasn't ideal.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I have to crate and rotate when Bubbles comes in to heat, and it's not too bad (though it's only for a month at a time...). I do everything for my guys (husband doesn't help, but that's the understanding we have), but my schedule is also so flexible that I'm able to be home for good chunks of time throughout the day. But I can also have Kimma out with either Pen or Bubbles so that helps, too, as Kimma is the most time-consuming of all three (she's a hyper crazy thing).

I may end up with another male at some point, and I do hope that Pen gets along with him. Otherwise I will have to crate/rotate permanently (Pen was attacked at a show a while back, and even though he's made great strides, he's still a bit weird with other dogs, mostly males). But I will cross that bridge when/if I come to it

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We do a modified c&r. When anything exciting is happening we separate everyone but the mals. If food is present we separate by breeds. If we're just hanging out they're all loose. If we leave the room at all they're separated by gender.

My males do not like each other, they tolerate but they're not trustworthy. My females don't care at all.

I'm in the potential market for a female Malinois in the next few months..... ;D
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
We do a modified c&r. When anything exciting is happening we separate everyone but the mals. If food is present we separate by breeds. If we're just hanging out they're all loose. If we leave the room at all they're separated by gender.

My males do not like each other, they tolerate but they're not trustworthy. My females don't care at all.

I'm in the potential market for a female Malinois in the next few months..... ;D
Puppy??? Puppy puppy??

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
...ice road...

I presently don't have to crate and rotate, but I did it for years. I had two bitches that couldn't be together, and I had a male who wanted to kill my other males.

Some people are just not cut out for it. Personally, I never found it cumbersome/time consuming/etc. even though I never had any help. I actually rather like the complexity of it... who can go out with who, how to modify that if a bitch is in season, etc. it makes things more interesting! Though I can definitely understand those who just want their dogs to be there and not have to worry about it lol
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I don't crate and rotate at home. I do when we join Dekka's pack. I don't find it problematic or time consuming.. It helps that there is more than one person when we are there, so every dog gets enough attention. Also the crates are near her computer, so locked up dogs are getting attention too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground