Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Top Dog

Default Who crates and rotates?

What does your crate and rotate schedule look like if you do?

Why do you do it? How?

I don't currently have that issue but I'm just wondering if I did in the future, what it could potentially look like.

Do you find it difficult to manage? Or feel that it's difficult to give enough attention to each dog?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Just try me..

We do, kinda, right now. We have done so more in the past. Its not really a big deal. At the moment Sport wants to eat Kaiden (poor Kaiden he is so inoffensive and is not a fighter) so Kaiden is either crated when Sport is loose, or Sport is loose in Darien's room or out in the dog yard when Kaiden is loose. As Darien likes to spend time playing video games it works out pretty well.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Bite me.

We crate and rotate. It IS time consuming, and you have to be sure each dog gets attention and "out" time. We have two girls, littermates, we brought back from Holland with us last summer, with the hope one will end up as a nice breeding female. They would like to kill each other, and to be fair to them and their quality of life, one will probably end up being placed/sold in the next few months.

The boys are easier to rotate, they don't have the overt hostility the girls do.

What is difficult is, being out running errands and remembering you need to go home and swap dogs. We also have really nice outdoor kennel runs, so everyone CAN go outside. But I'm beyond paranoid, and don't like leaving dogs out while I am gone running errands.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Plus One

We do. Atm we're keeping Diesel seperated from Aura, Fudge, Taz and Scamp. Aura because of her never ending lameness and the boys because he annoys them. Aura's also seperated from Tika because Tika doesn't like her.

What usually happens is that Aura is loose in the house and Tika and Diesel are in the dog pen. When they come in Aura is either crated or locked in the kitchen with Fudge. The other boys are either locked in my room or loose and watched closely (they're not as bad as Fudge but they still don't like Diesel. At night and when nobody's at home Aura and Diesel are both crated, the boys are locked in my room and Tika and Ozzy have free roam of the house.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

We crated and rotated for the past 6 months, Courtney and Lilly hate each other and Courtney will try and kill Lilly It was very time consuming and neither one of them like it at all
Lilly went to live with my mom this past week and we have completely different dogs now, in a good way. Lilly is happy to rule the shih tzu's and Courtney is very happy to no longer have to be crated anymore.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Just try me..

I am a bit confused as to why its time consuming (I have heard this more than once in this thread) While atm I only have two that can't go out together, in the past I have had multiple combinations that were bad..

I have never found it takes any noticable amount of time to let dogs in crates and then open another door. So what are you doing that takes up so much time?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I am a bit confused as to why its time consuming (I have heard this more than once in this thread) While atm I only have two that can't go out together, in the past I have had multiple combinations that were bad..

I have never found it takes any noticable amount of time to let dogs in crates and then open another door. So what are you doing that takes up so much time?
Maybe for us it just always seemed so because of a high stress level, always having worry that one is not getting enough attention or that a slip up could happen.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

We've had to "crate and rotate", but it was more like just diving the house up into two sections and making sure the dogs weren't out in the yard at the same time. Either way, it is enough of a pain as is and I can't imagine doing it where we literally had to crate and rotate. Luckily, at the moment the two inhospitable parties are Rose and Chloe and since I am moving out in August, I nor my mom will have to deal with it any more. (Hopefully. I'm hoping we won't have an issue crop up with Cynder and Chloe since they'll be spending more time together. Haven't had an issue yet and they actually played with one another the other night, so *fingers crossed*.)

Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Bite me.

Making sure each dog has individual attention can be time consuming. So can running home because someone has been in a crate a couple of hours and you need to switch. Juggling "let in" and "let out" so certain dogs don't come in contact with each other takes more time than just opening up a door and letting everyone in or out. Of having, say, a doggie door.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Just try me..

but don't you make sure all dogs get enough attention anyway? I don't see that being different if they are all loose or only a few. IMO dogs need some one on one attention.

I have had dogs taht would fight and latch on though crates but not for years. Now for me it is a simple as saying "kaiden in your house' and closing the door and opening Dariens bed room door.

Maybe because its how I have lived with multiple dogs all along (go terriers?) I just don't find it a big deal. I did find it very stressful to begin with, but as I did it more it just became normal.

Then again I don't rush home to let one dog out. They are pretty much all crated when I am gone.