Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I'd say as long as you are honest about your time frame, 2013-2014 is totally reasonable!
^This. Worse case scenario they tell you to contact them again later. But many people I know keep a file of potential puppy people and that'd be one way to get your name in early, and they may have recommendations on other breeders to talk to. Unless you're really set on who you want a puppy from, I'd start exploring sooner rather than later. I mean just for example but we're looking at maybe a 2014 litter of Mirapups and there's already around 6 people on the list for that litter. Granted it depends if the right matches come along for each person but coming late to the party rarely improves your chances. Depends on the breeder/litter though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Glutton for Crazy

No time is too early.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Twin 2.0

I've been in contact with my breeder since like...2009. So I'd say it's never too early.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Just try me..

As a breeder I have to say I honestly am annoyed at the emails/phone calls that ask do I have any puppies. .. um no and if I did they should be spoken for.

I would LOVE to have someone contact me years in advance about puppies. I don't breed all that often so that would work best IMO for everyone.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Adrianne! My next puppy will be coming in 2014-2015, I am already in contact with breeders that I am interested in. I also have been making contacts with breeders that run certain lines I like as well as that breed the way I feel it should be done! By contacting them now, I am setting myself up to hopefully be able to have first pick of the litter when the time comes.

Also, certain breeds are different and breeders can be more guarded ab out their offspring than other breeds/breeders. Since I am looking at an AST and a certain line of ASTs, that limits my selection pool for puppies!

IMO- I would rather contact a breeder years before I want a puppy and already have a good established relationship before my puppy is even conceived. I am at my limit with dogs right now as another one would throw my pack off as well as take significant time away from the current dogs which I just can not do. I recognize this and convey this to potential breeders while chatting with them, this helps assure them that I am looking at a dog for LIFE and to be ACTIVE in COMPETING with it, I feel this gives me an edge over some other type of buyers. Since I want to do sports with the future puppy and am obviously committed to it, this also gives me an edge as all good breeders like to see their puppies achieving titles!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I dont think its never too early. I want to establish a trusting realtionship with the breeder way before I get the pup. I want to make sure they are a breeder I have full confidence in. Remember if its a good responsible breeder they are going to be in your life the full life of your dog.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I contacted Toller breeders a year or two before getting Dance. I don't think it really worked to my benefit completely, but it certainly didn't hurt anything. It did show me who I clicked more with and who I didn't, though. There is one breeder here who is (IMO) everything a breeder should be and more, and I love her breeding program and her dogs. However, in person, we just don't mesh well at all. I can be shy and I found her to be very intimidating, and I feel like she hates me... though I really don't know. So that was kind of unfortunate as our e-mail conversations went well and I would've loved one of her puppies, but I also need to be comfortable with somebody in person.

Next time around I plan on contacting breeders a year (maybe two) in advance again. And, depending on the breed I get, I am planning to expand my breeder search much further than I was able to last time. Chances are my next dog, regardless of breed, will be out of province and it's very likely that they'll be out of country all together. So I want to be able to allow ample time to get to know a breeder/let a breeder get to know me a bit and I also want to be able to travel to meet a breeder and their dogs in person before I decide for sure I want one of their puppies. I want a comfortable breeder/owner relationship next time around. My experience getting Dance has taught me a lot about what I want from my next (and all future) dog's breeder, and I will try my best to make sure I get it. At this point I don't know for sure when I'll be able to get another dog, but I'm kind of hoping for 2015/16. Just depends on where I'm living and what's going on for me school/career wise. Especially since all of the breeds I am considering are going to be very time consuming (Koolie, Aussie, Border Collie or another [drivier and higher energy than Dance] Toller).

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
...ice road...

I don't think any time is too early! Some breeders will be receptive to getting to know you in advance, others won't... but you won't know unless you try!

I was emailing with Bukra's breeder for several years before I got him. She got to know me as a person and what I like in my dogs, and ended with me getting the absolute most perfect puppy for me!

On the other hand, I was in contact with Zealand's breeder for only several months before the litter was bred (though I'd been stalking her website for years lol). Yet she still learned about me and what I needed in a dog in that time frame, and again I got the perfect dog for me!

A friend of mine contacted a breeder about a litter... the breeder responded a few times, then fell off the face of the earth. My friend was sorely disappointed. But then over a year later, the breeder contact her, asking if she was still interested in a puppy. It turned out the original litter never took, and they waited to try it again.

Each breeder operates differently! So I'd say, start contacting and see what happens!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Active Pup

Never too early. I have been in contact with a potential ESS breeder for over a year now, and I am still at least, a couple years out from actually getting a puppy, or a younger started adult.