Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
...ETA
basenji is a pariah & norwegians are spitz/northerns. most all dogs will hunt, it doesn't make them hounds.
From the NEAA website:
...From the present back through the centuries of recorded time, Elkhounds have been kept in Norwegian rural districts by farmers, herdsmen, and hunters to serve as watchdogs, guardians of flocks, and as trackers of big game: moose, reindeer, and bear...

So, really more an all round farm dog, but they became more "specialized" in hunting/tracking. Oh, and Elkhound is a mis-translation. In Norway they are called Elghund, which means Moosedog.

http://www.neaa.net/breed_info/history.html
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

I LOVE Ibizan's Would love to meet a few saluki's!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I typically can't stand (scent) hounds, but I do LOVE Bassets. <3 I didn't know Dachshunds were considered hounds (for some reason I've always thought of them as terriers lol), but I'm also a fan of smooth haired doxies.

For sighthounds, I've only ever met Greyhounds. I suppose I've met one whippet (whom I dislike) and a Scottish Deerhound (whom I also dislike), but since that is only a one dog sample size I'm withholding judgement. I have always admired, however, Ibzans and Pharaoh Hounds.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

Irish Wolfhound is on my short list for sure....I will have one one day...just love them

I have fallen in love with Ibizans too, especially wire hair.

Bloodhounds, I do like them but dont think I would ever own one.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I've only spent time with Bassets and a bloodhound. They were all SUPER sweet, cuddle for hours and when you stop want some more type dogs which I absolutely LOVE. Not a huge fan of the volume, when I picked up the Basset's poop bags (which means it's walk time) my head almost exploded. I also like athletic dogs, and Basset's are certainly not built for that. The Bloodhound has lots of energy, she's a SAR dog, not sure if she'd be agile though. Plus there's the drool...

But so much love and sweetness, I really do love that about them, I think they tend to make awesome family pets, but seem to get overlooked a lot for that. Perhaps it's the noise.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Taxiderpy

I can never imagine NOT having a borzoi around. They just make such good housemates.

Of sight hounds I like them all, but the ones on my favorites and possibly to own list are American stags, deerhound, azawakh, sloughi, galgo, taigan (I wish we could get them in the US). I also like little whippety dogs with coat, like the LHW, silkens, and those little wire coated appalachian whippet things.

Scent hounds are awesome too. Some day I want a nice coonhound or coonhound mix. Love plotts, walkers, black and tans and redbones.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

More of a sight hound person than a scent hound. I love greyhounds and whippets.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I have been wanting/looking/thinking on a hunting bred bloodhound who wont hunt. lol i want the looks , but am not sure i can fullfill an hunter.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I'd love to hunt whenever we get our own property. But I fear that what I grew up with was a very skewed version of hunting. I'd love to spend time with someone who hunts, and does something more than letting the dogs out of the kennel and then sitting in the truck for six hours and driving around looking for them later.

My Polyvore
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Just try me..

What sort of hunting? Its quite different if you are hunting coyotes or deer for example (and very different if you want to hunt rabbits with whippets, or down holes with doxies, groundhongs wtih JRTs..) Do you want to tree things?