Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Squishy face

Default Vet was supposed to euthanize dog, rehomes it instead

Yeah I'm glad the dog was able to live and stuff, but couldn't we figure out a way to HELP people keep their pets? And charging her a fee for euthanizing the dog? So he lied to the owner and obtained money for a service he didn't provide. Sounds like a very shady vet!

I think the woman is being very reasonable, she is letting the dog stay in her new home and only wants a refund for the euthanasia fee. And I suppose we can say this is another reason to STAY WITH YOUR PET when its being put down. You don't know what might happen to it otherwise!

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...g-alive-022012

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

That's... nuts. I too am glad the dog survived, but holy crap, that's scary.

You're so right, it's just another reason to stay with your pets as they go. Beside the whole, you know, being there with them in their last moments so they can die with a minimum of stress and pain. (Sorry, I have no patience with people who "can't bear to be there". Tough it out. You're the human and your dog needs you. Grrr.)

Anyway, I wonder what exactly they had her sign that released her rights to the dog??? That seems like a weird thing to to put on form for euthanasia.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Just try me..

That was a dirty thing the vet did.

I fostered a dog that had been brought in to be euthed. The dog was brought in to be put down due to snapping at children. The vet asked the owners if they could find a rescue to take the dog if the owners would surrender, vs put down the dog. The owners agreed. The vet did a full check up and shots before turning the dog over to the JRT rescue. The vet tech did the transport herself.

To me that is the right way to do it. Tell the owner there are options but remember that the pet is theirs.

(as an aside the JRT I mentioned was very fearful, but with some work he has made a fabulous pet for an older couple who's children have all grown up)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You're so right, it's just another reason to stay with your pets as they go. Beside the whole, you know, being there with them in their last moments so they can die with a minimum of stress and pain. (Sorry, I have no patience with people who "can't bear to be there". Tough it out. You're the human and your dog needs you. Grrr.)
While I will always be there, I don't agree that its the best choice for everyone. IF you know you won't be able to hold it together its entirely possible that the owners extreme distress will be far more upsetting to the dog than the calm reassurances of the vet staff.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That's why I can't be a vet, I'd have trouble not doing that to owners who just want to PTS for what I may deem a stupid reason. This however is bad.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I fostered a dog that had been brought in to be euthed. The dog was brought in to be put down due to snapping at children. The vet asked the owners if they could find a rescue to take the dog if the owners would surrender, vs put down the dog. The owners agreed. The vet did a full check up and shots before turning the dog over to the JRT rescue. The vet tech did the transport herself.
Tango was brought in to be euthanized. After I offered to pay for amputation and to foster him, the vet went in and told the family their options. They chose to sign him over, and the rest is history. But if they had chosen to go ahead and euthanize him, that's what we would have done. Same sort of thing with my first foster, Ranchero - either euth or sign him over, and they chose to sign him over. It's stupid to tell someone they're putting your dog down and then turn around and do something else. If there are other options FREAKING TELL PEOPLE!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It's stupid to tell someone they're putting your dog down and then turn around and do something else. If there are other options FREAKING TELL PEOPLE!
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I'm sure some people would take the other options if they were given.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

We've rehomed a couple animals that the owners were unwilling to pay the medical fees for when the animal had a good chance at life with the medical care. However, we didn't tell the owners we were euthanizing, we wrote up specific paperwork saying they were surrendering the pet to us and we were rehoming them. Our clinic cat was obtained this way. Elderly cat that just needed a dental and a couple extractions, owners didn't want to pay for it and just wanted the cat euth'd so we had them surrender her to us. She's still happy and healthy to this day.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
such sights to show you

Yea being sneaky about it isn't good. If a vet wants to rehome an animal, they should be up front about it and respect the owner's wishes if they decline. It's not like the vet HAS to euthanize the pet if they disagree with the reason.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
*Now with Snark*

I feel for the vet. I really do. I was working at a vet office a few years ago right before Thanksgiving. BTW the month of November has the highest euthanasia rates for dogs normally and you would not believe the excuses people come up with for euthanizing perfectly healthy normal dogs and cats. My personal disdain was for the guy who came in to euthanize his white cats because they had just purchased dark colored furniture that would be delivered the next week in time for Thanksgiving. No joke... not a behavior issue or a health problem. Poor cats were simply not matching the new furniture and there was simply too long of a wait for the humane society.

The vet offered to just take them. No, he wanted to know it was done. Evil *******. I gotta say, if I were the vet in the face of such stupidity I might resort to this. I probably would have checked for a chip though.

Here's the thing though if a owner wants a dog dead/gone it'll be dead/gone one way or another. The only thing a vet pretty much guarantees is a humane death but on the flip end of things for a vet seeing perfectly good life tossed into the incinerator has got to weigh on the soul.

Keep in mind according to the story this former owner doesn't want the dog back for peace of mind that the dog is in a better home, she wants a refund.