Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "reverse weight'ism"?
Women NEED curves and those pictures are telling it as it is! 4 11.43%
Reverse weight'ism is just as bad as normal "weight'ism" 20 57.14%
Tamale and rice 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
people are mean, and the vast majority of the meanness is aimed at women who happen not to be skinny. Life is worse by far, in terms of teasing and meanness, for overweight folks than it is for skinny people.
So is it okay to just throw insults back at people who haven't insulted you?

I'm "skinny" and don't have "curves." I have never teased anyone for being overweight so why is it okay for skinny people to be told they're not "real women"?

Skinny people DO get picked on as well. I was called "string bean" and told that I had "bird legs" as a kid. These insults hurt just as much as being called "fatty." Somehow this is seen as okay by people, thus the circulation of these pictures. I'm not offended by these pictures, but I think it's very hypocritical.

If I said that real dogs weighed under 10lbs, I'm sure that many people on here would think that is ridiculous! ALL dogs are real dogs- let's just celebrate that!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Im totally with yah Jessie. I was teased as a kid too, because I was incredibly skinny. My nickname was twiggy for a while.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
So is it okay to just throw insults back at people who haven't insulted you?

I'm "skinny" and don't have "curves." I have never teased anyone for being overweight so why is it okay for skinny people to be told they're not "real women"?

Skinny people DO get picked on as well. I was called "string bean" and told that I had "bird legs" as a kid. These insults hurt just as much as being called "fatty." Somehow this is seen as okay by people, thus the circulation of these pictures. I'm not offended by these pictures, but I think it's very hypocritical.

If I said that real dogs weighed under 10lbs, I'm sure that many people on here would think that is ridiculous! ALL dogs are real dogs- let's just celebrate that!
No, I don't think it's okay to make fun of people for being skinny--I don't think it's okay to make fun of or insult anyone for their body type. I also said, "and while I think there are better ways to get your point across (and better points to make)," meaning that I don't think it's okay, and that I do think it would be far better to talk up a particular body type, rather than talk down someone else's.

My BMI is 17.3 right now, and ranges between about 16.5 and 18 normally. I know about the insults you get being skinny, and I know about the, "Oh my GAWD, WHY are you SO skinny? It's CRAZY, UGH, I'm glad I'm not that thin, lol," and the insults. And while they do suck, they're not as constant as the teasing and meanness directed at overweight folks.

I just don't see these sort of messages as that big of a deal, especially given where the balance in media between 'be skinny' and 'be curvy' lies.

Last edited by Red.Apricot; 02-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I keep trying to reply to this thread but I'm not sure what exactly to say. This kind of thing doesn't bother me - one because I don't see it unless it's pointed out to me and two because I could mostly give a crap less what "society" thinks I should look like.

So I guess I'm gonna with tamales and rice. Only in my mind the tamales are enchiladas.

ETA: I have to admit that I would probably feel differently if I had ever been teased over my weight - or lack thereof.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Meh, IMO these are in defense after society pushing obscenely skinny as the only acceptable body. That said, yes we should all be PC.

I'm "average" I don't work out often (I never have the time or energy)and while I'm rarely thrilled with my weight I'm not "over weight" and maintain pretty well considering my awesomely gluttonous love affair with food.

If you want my god honest truth opinion Id like to see some posters talking about brains and character, not bodies. That would be far less offensive.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

I don't think anyone should be made fun of for anything.

But as far as the current trend emphasizing stick figures and big boobs....I think that the people who have those things, should let this slide. In all honesty I believe it is a better picture to portray than what is currently plastered everywhere encouraging so many girls to have eating disorders so they can be thin enough.

When they start making every single actress and every single model plastered all over in skimpy clothes or swimsuits have REAL curves, then I might feel a little bit more sympathy with those who are just naturally extremely thin.

I think the most important thing is to emphasize being healthy, but I also think that should mean showing REAL people, not photoshopped people or celebrities who have all the money in the world to pay for personal trainers, nutritionist, and plastic surgeons.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
I don't think anyone should be made fun of for anything.

But as far as the current trend emphasizing stick figures and big boobs....I think that the people who have those things, should let this slide. In all honesty I believe it is a better picture to portray than what is currently plastered everywhere encouraging so many girls to have eating disorders so they can be thin enough.

When they start making every single actress and every single model plastered all over in skimpy clothes or swimsuits have REAL curves, then I might feel a little bit more sympathy with those who are just naturally extremely thin.

I think the most important thing is to emphasize being healthy, but I also think that should mean showing REAL people, not photoshopped people or celebrities who have all the money in the world to pay for personal trainers, nutritionist, and plastic surgeons.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I'm with you on this Jessie - I *don't* have curves and while I'm not "offended" I do find it very hypocritical. ALL *healthy* women are beautiful!

I'm generally happy with who I am and how I look, and I wish more women could say that and mean it!
You get *claps claps claps*
You said it better than what I was trying to say lol
Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Jeans without pockets ARE useless.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Jeans without pockets ARE useless.
Jeans with girl pockets are useless too. Why do they even put two inch pockets in? I can't fit anything worth carrying in that!!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013