Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "reverse weight'ism"?
Women NEED curves and those pictures are telling it as it is! 4 11.43%
Reverse weight'ism is just as bad as normal "weight'ism" 20 57.14%
Tamale and rice 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Reverse Weight-ism: Thoughts?

I've been seeing a lot of pictures like this floating around lately:

So, how do you feel about images that portray that women "need" curves to be attractive? Do you feel that they're just as insulting as the women "need" to be stick thin arguments?

I find it to be hypocritical. Why does someone "need" to be stick thin, overweight, curvy, "normal," etc, etc.? Can't we just say women of ALL sizes are beautiful without picking on ANY weight categories?

Thoughts?

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Felurian

It's all a matter of opinion and what turns your crank. I have to wonder if maybe it's time we stopped whining about what "they" are trying to make us think and feel, find a little self-identity, say "whatever" and go on about being ourselves.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post

So, how do you feel about images that portray that women "need" curves to be attractive? Do you feel that they're just as insulting as the women "need" to be stick thin arguments?
I don't think anyone NEEDS to be thick or thin.
I think every woman was born differently, and they should be proud of it.

Do I think its insulting? No. I don't think its insulting that woman "need" to be thin or "need" to be thick.

I say its not insulting, to ME, because I am thick. I have an @ss, thighs, hips, and boobs. I am very happy with my curves. I don't think that if a girl has curves that she is fat, now THAT would be a bit insulting for a guy or girl to say "Well since you have curves, you are fat".
But I love my curves and I don't judge a woman for having curves or not.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think it's stupid to say something like "real women have curves," implying women who don't have curves are somehow not real women? But I don't think it's as damaging as how the rest of society promotes women should look.

I'll worry about it when they start airbrushing women to be fatter.

and by fatter I don't mean curvy, I mean if they literally started taking a normal girl and airbrushed her into, say, a plus sized model.

ETA: PS I love tamales.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Basically, it's saying that a pair of jeans without pockets is useless, just like a woman without curves.

I just think that these pictures are stupid. Let's single out the thin women and say that they're like a pair of jeans without pockets.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

The only reason I would really defend some degree of reverse weight-ism is because the scales are so heavily weighed (pun intended) in favor of being super skinny. I think its good for young women to see another paradigm, one were curves are sexy, and a few extra pounds is not a source of shame and panic but rather a sign of health and fertility.

No one should be subject to prejudice or mockery because of their weight, however.

All women of all sizes can be beautiful (check out Rubin's work), but what we really need to do is emphasize that extremes are unhealthy, and that you should aim for and appriciate your body's natural weight and shape.

I always feel really sorry for black women who are skinny as heck, except that they naturally have largish bottoms. They aren't fat and that's just the way they are . . . but I still see them made fun of.

And aren't tamales and rice together a lot of starch? That's one way to get curves!

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I think these images are just going about things the wrong way. Saying "real women have curves" and "curves are beautiful" are two completely separate things. This picture is putting down one group of women and lifting the other one up by insult.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Behavior Nerd

I'm with you on this Jessie - I *don't* have curves and while I'm not "offended" I do find it very hypocritical. ALL *healthy* women are beautiful!

I'm generally happy with who I am and how I look, and I wish more women could say that and mean it!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

I'm not terribly fussed by them. A lot of my friends have been posting these sorts of pictures on facebook lately, and while I think there are better ways to get your point across (and better points to make), people are mean, and the vast majority of the meanness is aimed at women who happen not to be skinny. Life is worse by far, in terms of teasing and meanness, for overweight folks than it is for skinny people.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, yeah. We (humans in general, not just women, men too) are CONSTANTLY singled out based on our appearance, and it's always stupid to put somebody down, no matter which aspect of somebody's appearance you are picking on.

Lil, that is my body. I have so many people say to me "OMG, you are so skinny!" Yeah, my waist is. The ass? Not so much. I also tend to attract a certain kind of guy with my body type... ugh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog