Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Default Yet another Camera thread

So my mom is looking for a camera, and thankfully she talked to my older brother who convinced her that she should go for a starter dslr. Which is awesome because I've wanted a dslr for ages now. So me and my younger brother are the ones who are looking up different camera's, and my older brother will look for used ones. I'm gonna send him the sites of KEH and adorama, which I discovered reading old threads on here.

Anyways, from my research, I've found that the recommended cameras for beginners are the:

Canon EOS digital Rebel XT / XTi
Canon EOS 30D

So would you guys recommend these? And what lens should we get? I don't know much about lenses yet, but I think a zoom would be nice, and I don't think we need a lens with flash that much.

So talk away, and let me soak up your knowledge
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm not a Canon person, but the XTi does have very good reviews and would be a good choice to start with. Most cameras should come with a kit lens or two---look online at Amazon and pay attention to things from Adorama. They sometimes have amazing packages put together and you can get an entire setup (body, two lenses, filters, etc) for a pretty decent price.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Mutts to you

I've always heard good things about Canon but I still like my Pentax. There's a digital camera website that offers critiques of most of the cameras on the market, you might want to check out the info there: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

A good recommended camera is the Nikon d40. Look into it. You may fall in love.

Eco-friendly dog products
http://www.ecofriendlydogproducts.com

Lifetime With Dogs
http://www.lifetimewithdogs.com
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I will look into, I guess I just figured Nikon's were a little on the expensive side of the camera world. Thanks for your input guys, now I know I'm at least on the right track
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Behavior Nerd

I <3 my Canon XTi I bought the body on KEH and the kit lens (18-55mm) on Adorama - both in bargain level condition, but they are exactly what I need and work just fine. Total I spent about $250 on the lens/body.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I love your photographs! And that is a really good deal, and sounds like the kind of camera I would love.

Now to learn about shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, and Megapixles. Fun fun
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Behavior Nerd

Yea I keep meaning to force myself to use it on manual, but haven't taken that leap yet - the auto settings are already a huge improvement from my point and shoot!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Puppy Dog

I have the Canon Eos Rebel T3 and I love it so far I'm not sure how different it is from the XT, but I can at least vouch for Canons! I'm just starting out with trying to get into photography and I've found it to be a pretty smooth transition from point and shoot to manual controls with my T3.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Just try me..

Another pentax fan here. But any of the main ones should be good for what you want.