Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Help me find a breed please

I do not know what breed will be best for me, so I will need some help. Hope some of you could lend a hand with that.

My wishes...

I want a dog that I can teach to walk with without a leash, and not be afraid that it will run away.
I want a dog that is brave and dependable. I mean as a buddy. Not necessarily a guard. I need it to let me know of intruders though.
I want to feel like we have a special relationship. Not like a Labrador that loves everyone almost as much as he loves you.
I really want it to look a little Wolfy too. When I say a Wolfy look, I mean something between German Shepherd an a Wolf.
I want to be able to travel with it to other countries. And want it to be strong enough to walk with some of the wait from the backpack stuff, for most of the day. There will be brakes on the trip of cause,
I don't want a small dog. It must be fairly large. Between about 60-75 cm tall.
I'm looking for a good companion.

I think this is it. I have no idea if there is a dog that fulfill all these wishes. I will of cause be willing to make compromises if needed.

Which breed would you suggest?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:09 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

As far as most of your wishes go I would say a Rottweiler or a Doberman. These were the first 2 dogs that popped into my mine when I read your wishes. It can tolerate both warm and cold climates and are great campanions, and are good travel dogs. They are also very loyal and will tell you when intruders come about.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Island dweller

Well.... one of the sledding dogs popped into my head. But they are SO energetic (huskies, malamutes...) are you quite active?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:04 PM
stirder

I know you are considering sarloos wolfhound. from what you have listed on this thread, Id say that is still one of the choices. Id also consider a german shepherd. they are tollerant to different climates, I have travelled with mine from desert to alaska, mid western woods to hawaii and florida tropics. Ive backpacked in the canadian and alaskan wilderness with them and they handled their packs better than I did mine, alerted me to bears, mountain lions, foxes, ravens, mice and mosquitoes, and imaginary monsters. they are very loyal and responsive. doberman and rotties are adaptable to an extent. they would have a hard time adjusting if you went from hot (american southwest in summer, florida, africa etc) to really cold (alaska, siberia, netherlands, canada etc), theyd need more than several days to adjust. in fact many doberman and rottie owners no farther north than kentucky, missouri etc put sweaters on their dogs in the fall, untill spring when playing outside. and even then they shiver a lot.
other possibilities I would suggest are: dutch shepherd, similar to german shepherd but brindle color.
beaceron (not as wolfsih as gsd or sarloos), pretty much a gsd, even similar appearance.
any of the 4 belgian sheepdogs (malinois, tervuren, groenendal, and lakenois). lakenois has a close curly coat, not wolfish. and all the belgian sheepdogs have extremely high energy and drive.
alaskan malamute, wolfish and lots of people hike and camp with them can adapt to any climate if given time to get used to it. not guard dogs (occasionally they are) but will bark at intruders. also pretty friendly to everyone, usually.
siberian laika, either west or eastern. pretty much a siberian husky, but more responsive and more territorial. so more likely to protect and not immediately make friends.
canaan dog. somewhat energetic and smaller. good guard dogs from what I hear.
carolina dog. same as above but hard headed.
karelian bear dog. dont know a whole lot about this dog, similar to a husky in appearance, bred to hunt bears.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

OH BOY !!! Grammy's staying out of this one !!!!! May come in on the 300th post !!! Will be watching for the fireworks !
Old 07-09-2005, 10:26 PM
stirder

theres gonna be fireworks??? should I run and hide?? or pick a prime front row seat??
Old 07-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Felurian

One thing to consider that you haven't mentioned is your experience handling and training dogs. Some breeds that would fit your desires just aren't right for most people.

Actually, once I had what would have been the perfect dog for you. My Bear was from a shelter. I adopted him as an adult dog, about four or five years old. Part German Shepherd, part Akita. You could do very well looking for the perfect dog through adoption. You can't ever be sure how a puppy is going to turn out. They all have their own individual personalities and quirks that don't necessarily show up until they're grown! I've got two Filas, and you couldn't ask for two more different personalities!

Now Bimmer, my little GSD/wolf orphan who was thrown out on a farm, is another one who would be perfect, although I wouldn't necessarily trust him off leash in the woods as he's a real hunter. I'm not suggesting you find a dog/wolf mix - far from it! Especially if you're going to be hiking and do want to work off lead; that hunting drive is just too, too strong. My point goes back to finding the perfect dog by not necessarily looking in the obvious places.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Big German Shepherd

I was thinking Malamute. Or Doberman... actually the way you're describing... the German shepherd seems perfect.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I don't think I would go for a husky or malamute if you want it to be trusted off leash.
My experience is they can never be trusted off leash. They are just unpredictable in that respect.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Puppy Dog

Stirder. Do you know of a breeder that breeds the European German Shepherds you showed the other day? The one that look like a Saarloos Wolfhound. I doubt I can find one in Denmark.

Please, if any of you have more suggestions then tell me.