Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I did not realize we had this many Chicago-ish Chazzers. I have every intention of making it out that way in the next couple months, we'll have to have a meet up.
Stop in Minneapolis on the way!!!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Yes! Definitely Minneapolis!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Yes! Definitely Minneapolis!
I can't be that close and NOT meet you guys! I'm trying to figure out a way to bring Mu with me but I'm not having much luck. I'm planning on flying and she's just a little too tall and heavy to fit in an under the seat kennel.

I'm thinking I might fly into Chicago, see my sister for a couple days, rent a car and drive out to Minneapolis (and stop and see Moth for a bit on the way), crash somewhere there and then fly out of Minneapolis. Just priced it out and it looks totally do-able. Now I just have to find out when my in-laws want us to come visit them so I can plan around that.

Uh...sorry for the massive threadjacking Fran! Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
I did not realize we had this many Chicago-ish Chazzers. I have every intention of making it out that way in the next couple months, we'll have to have a meet up.
YES YES YES AND YES.....please
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
I can't be that close and NOT meet you guys! I'm trying to figure out a way to bring Mu with me but I'm not having much luck. I'm planning on flying and she's just a little too tall and heavy to fit in an under the seat kennel.

I'm thinking I might fly into Chicago, see my sister for a couple days, rent a car and drive out to Minneapolis (and stop and see Moth for a bit on the way), crash somewhere there and then fly out of Minneapolis. Just priced it out and it looks totally do-able. Now I just have to find out when my in-laws want us to come visit them so I can plan around that.

Uh...sorry for the massive threadjacking Fran! Lol.
You can stay on my couch! Someone may come along with a better offer, but you can definitely stay with us!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Well...I like Chicago and I'm not really a big-city person. For some reason, even though it's huge and "the" Midwestern city, it never struck me as too crowded the way many coastal cities do. To be fair I lived outside the city, not in it, but I was close and would visit for various things. Shows to see, pretty much unlimited shopping, lots of dog activities...

It's a nice city but definitely has a midwestern vibe. It may be different but that doesn't make it bad. If nothing else, you can explore something new for your college career then flee back to the eastern seaboard with an education and no debt

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

I'm not much of a big city person. It's fun to visit Chicago sometimes, but it's not a place for me to live in. I guess the traffic really turns me off, but that's any big city. But usually when we're going somewhere, we're going thru chicago at the worst times and I always wonder how people can live with this everyday But i'm sure they find ways to adapt.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Just try me..

I find winters are easier in big cities, Toronto always has less snow and is warmer (even though its on the shore of lake ontario) than here. The buildings and pavement store heat from the sun. So it shouldn't be bad.

That said I find the idea of religious universities bizarre. Here the only religious post secondary schools we have are bible colleges that you go to if you want to get involved in a religious based career. Do religious colleges teach the same things? Do they add religion to your courses?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
YES YES YES AND YES.....please
You're not far from my sister anyway - it'd be super easy to come see you!

Quote:
You can stay on my couch! Someone may come along with a better offer, but you can definitely stay with us!
Um, YEAH. Me and Frodo will totally hang out. Seriously, that would be awesome!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I'm a few hours south.

Honestly, as a big city girl, I think you would LOVE Chicago. Tons to do, the shopping OMG. If you like concerts and plays and all that stuff you really don't need to look anywhere else. Just about any artist you would ever want to see will play Chicago. One of the best concerts of my life took place in a small old theatre up in Chicago... it was amazing. And seriously, the shopping. Plus all the museums, the zoos, the aquarium, frickin' Navy Pier.
It would also be awesome for you because you really don't need a car. The public transport system will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Some of the lines are a bit janky and nasty but it IS Chicago, LOL. You can cab it if you want but there's really no need, plus that's expensive and the public transport is way cheap.

But as a Florida girl you might also hate it, because they do tend to get lots of cold lake effect weather. I will say, however, that Chicago is beautiful in the snow.
When it doesn't look like this.

KIDDING... I'm almost 28 and I can only think of twice in my life, counting last year, that we had snowstorms THAT bad. Chicago always gets more than we do down here but it's not like Lake Shore Drive gets buried in snow every other week in winter. It's really not super common. On the up side, a friend of mine who moved up to Chicago went SNOWBOARDING in the city when it snowed like that. Urban snowboarding. In Chicago. How cool is that?!

And yes... it's a Catholic private university... I think that is something you need to do a lot of soul searching on more than if you think Chicago is going to be too cold for you. Their website talks plenty about diversity and people from all kinds of faiths but it's still a Catholic university. I visited a Christian college years ago and they aren't going to be forcing people to go to church on Sunday and stuff but it's definitely still a Christian college and you can tell.

ETA: Linds lives in a suburb near Chicago. I think we have a few Chicago suburbanites on the forum actually. I have considered Schaumburg personally... it's a nice little place and THAT'S WHERE IKEA IS.

ETA2: The other nice thing about Chicago is you have an international airport there, so you can fly pretty much wherever you want right from there, or people can fly in there. So it will be great for your family. Though I think Boston also has an international airport, so that one isn't any different for you.

It really is a lovely city. I love to visit and play. Something about it just gives me a major thrill and puts "Sweet Home Chicago" in my head, even though I've never lived there or called it home LOL.
I don't know if I could truly live there a LONG time, but I could do a year or two pretty easily before I started wanting some acreage LOL.
Thanks for the info! This totally has me a bit psyched and that pictures is awesome
As for the weather, honestly, even being from Florida.. I do much better in the Connecticut winter than I do in hot summers lol I'm not really that picky weather wise

I had no idea there was so much to do there! I knew it was a city but I just started researching and WOW!

I went to a Catholic high school, and frankly, didn't bother me all that much. I mean.. If anything I have adapted to the point where I just tune it all out lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
There's a few Chazzers close to Chicago.

The weather does suck at it's extremes, though being from Miami, you'll at least be used to the heat/humidity of summer. Still, lots to do, great art all around, fun bars, Michigan Mile...
Sounds like fun! I just googled the mile and it looks frikin awesome!

And ya, extreme temperatures.. bring it on! lol I'm used to the Miami heat and ridiculous connecticut winters so hopefully this will be an even compromise of craziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Yeah, pretty much ditto what Beanie said.

I am so not a good city person, I don't like it, I avoid it and I do not enjoy it. That being said, I am so spoiled living here because everything I could ever want is at my finger tips. Big names come to Chicago, there are a million stores and things to do. And there is a lot of land outside of it. It's not so built up that you can't find nice forest preserves and places outside of the city atmosphere.

And yes, I live near Chicago! Emily lives in Chicago currently too.
I'm a total city person, but it's great that it's so easy to kind of get away and find space. It seems like there are quite a few nice parks.. which are great dog wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivvies View Post
Oh cool...both of my parents went to Loyola!

I'm in the burbs, not the city, but Chicago is pretty awesome. Yes, the winters can be rough (although this year has been really mild), but there's a lot of fun stuff to make up for it. Chicago is seriously the best city to eat in (deep dish pizza, Chicago-style hot dogs, etc). Great sports, museums, concerts, theater, shopping, architecture, etc. There's always something to do or a new place to visit.
I do like pizza!! lol and I do love that aspect of city life..always things to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I would live there just for the Giordanos pizza.

My sister lived in Chicago for about 5 years so I went down and visited a couple times. I am NOT a city person... AT ALL. So I could never live there, I absolutely hated using public transportation but it's also a city that I would not want to drive in either. Stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one lol.

But I really loved visiting and I wish I had a reason to go back. So much to see and do, lots of fun places to shop at, good places to eat. If you're a big city person, I think it'd be right up your alley!
I love public transport and cities and hate driving lol so I guess it works.

It really does seem like a lovely city, and it's not like I'm deciding on a place to live forever and start a family.. I think the change might be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I just wanted to say I go to a Christian university and I'm an atheist, and it's really so NOT an issue. Other than the bio teacher last semester rambling on about how you can choose what you believe and blah blah blah (and then going on to teach a FANTASTIC evolution class), I really don't even notice. It's not like they force you to go to church or anything lol. I even got out of religion classes since I already have a BA and am working on my second BA.
I have heard things similar to this speaking of the class schedule. The only difference really is that you have to take a theology course (which can be anything from philosophy, to world religions, etc.. if you don't want to take a religious class)