Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Lightbulb Anatomy Of A Tear-Jerker

Who loves this singer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY (I love this)

Why does Adele's 'Someone Like You' makes everyone cry? Science has found the formula. (I found this to be very interesting)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...291701378.html
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

Fascinating!

Of course I must be kind of odd because I really dislike that song - I turn the station every time it comes on, couldn't stand to even list to more than the first few seconds of the youtube link. LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I just like it I think... because she sings it sooooo expressively.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

That is really interesting but I'm with stardogs - I can't stand that song. Lol. I LOVE Rolling in the Deep though.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I like that whole album lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Read the comments. Plenty of people don't like Adele or that song in particular.

The comments are far more interesting anyway. It's not a new "trick" in music, and to say it's because of the music is over-simplifying it. I heard the song I don't even know how many times... working in radio, probably 50 times, before I actually stopped and really listened to the WORDS. Not the melody.
It was probably another four or five times after having really heard what she was saying that I completely broke down into tears while singing along.

So to say "oh it's the music!" is missing the mark.
I like this comment:
Quote:
"...Measuring listeners' responses, Dr. Zatorre's team found that the number of goose bumps observed correlated with the amount of dopamine released..." Ya that must be it.

Or, just maybe, it is simply that nearly everyone has a nearly-suppressed emotional encounter that Adele's songs bring smashing to the forefront of consciousness. And it is the realization that no matter how successful you think you've been at moving on, you know deep down inside you never have and never will. Hmm...

Funny enough, I almost posted on Facebook last night about how much I wish Set Fire to the Rain would die off the radio, because every time I hear it, it reminds me of somebody I would rather never think of again. And it's not the musical arrangement that does that. It's the perfect description of him and the end of our relationship that exists in her lyrics.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Read the comments. Plenty of people don't like Adele or that song in particular.

The comments are far more interesting anyway. It's not a new "trick" in music, and to say it's because of the music is over-simplifying it. I heard the song I don't even know how many times... working in radio, probably 50 times, before I actually stopped and really listened to the WORDS. Not the melody.
It was probably another four or five times after having really heard what she was saying that I completely broke down into tears while singing along.

So to say "oh it's the music!" is missing the mark.
I like this comment:

Funny enough, I almost posted on Facebook last night about how much I wish Set Fire to the Rain would die off the radio, because every time I hear it, it reminds me of somebody I would rather never think of again. And it's not the musical arrangement that does that. It's the perfect description of him and the end of our relationship that exists in her lyrics.
That depends on the listener. Perhaps for you, it's missing the mark. I am more moved by the music than lyrics in most cases. I thought she sang it well and put a lot of feeling into the music, something that not everybody does. I also think the song is very pretty. She has a nice voice for this kind of style...not a well trained sounding voice, but just right for this. And the expressiveness is just beautiful.

I didn't pay that close attention, but I didn't notice much in the way of dissonant cords or intervals (like 2nds) and resolutions written about in that article. Maybe the person was talking about something more in general...not this particular song.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If it depends on the listener you can't say science has found that it's the music that makes people cry, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I love Adele, but I REALLY can't listen to someone like you or rolling in the deep anymore. I listened to them over and over again about a year ago and now the someone like you is one number one, it drives me crazy. I really like one and only though

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
If it depends on the listener you can't say science has found that it's the music that makes people cry, LOL.
No, I don't think science can say unequivocally that it's the music making someone cry. Someone might be thinking about their best friend who just died in a car accident. Or there may be some other thing. But they do see the same responses in the brain like they see with other things that cause these emotions and see activity with dopamine and serotonin and those correlate with those certain aspects of music mentioned... and it seems to be a trend with many people tested. That suggests that there are certain musical nuances or techniques that are typical in how they affect certain structures in the brain.

Thomas Jefferson