Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Ok, this is for kids, but the advice is great. They're running a story competition and have best selling authors on, who have given out tips and advice. Really useful and simple stuff to get you started.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/500words/2012/writing-tips/
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks yall.

I did some sit butt in chair & write this morning. I got 3.5 pages of ideas & details.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The best advice I ever got was:

Butt in chair. Write.

It's okay if your first draft is crap. That's what revision is for so don't be discouraged by it. Some people write very clean first drafts, others (like me) produce something that looks like it belongs in a fire pit.

As far as short story vs. a novel, I this is what I've learned.

Don't write short stories to practice writing a novel. The two are completely different story forms. If you want to write a novel, concentrate on writing a novel.

Do write short stories if you want to write shorts. Do write them if you need to experience what it feels like to actually finish something and type, "the end." Learning how to complete a story is just as valuable as learning to craft one in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Probably the best advice I would have as well, honestly... that's pretty much what it boils down to.

Also, get yourself a notebook and write down all your ideas in it. Doesn't matter if it's a line or two or several pages. Just get it written down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Write. Write. Write some more. If you have writers block, find some writing excercise online and do that. Just don't sit there and stare at a blank screen.

And if you have a great idea, write it down. Write down everything you think of about it. Carry a notebook and write down those ideas that come to you throughout the day.
All of those. Absolutely.

Sometimes you will start out thinking you have a novel and it turns out to be a short story, or a novella.

Listen to your characters. Get to know them, the ones you love, the ones you despise, the ones who make you think, "WTF is this idiot doing in my book," the sages and assholes, and never forget the best heroes have flaws, they screw up, they get back up, they grow. There is no such thing as a great story without great characters.

Oh, yes. READ. READ. RE-READ. You will learn more about writing from re-reading books you have loved than from anything else.

If you can find a writers' group, join it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

My advice is just to go for it. I've written tons of short stories and stuff, and I hope to write a novel someday. I'm actually writing something right now based off of a dream as well.

Good luck! Just write down different ideas you have, even if they don't all make sense yet, and you can pull from different things as you go.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Felurian

Keeping a notebook is SO helpful! And dreams can have the seeds of great stories -- they are where your mind roams freely into places it will never go when waking.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks yall!

I am reading a book called a Band Of Sisters, about women in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last few years. Pretty **** good book. I like nonfictional books best, and autobiographies. I like some horror books, but very picky about them.

I might have to go hit amazon and see what they have on there.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Just try me..

The thing I have really enjoyed was joining a writers group. Particularly in the genre that you are currently writing for. That way you get great feed back for your stories and ideas but its very inspiring to read and watch others work through the process.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The best advice I ever got was:

Butt in chair. Write.

It's okay if your first draft is crap. That's what revision is for so don't be discouraged by it. Some people write very clean first drafts, others (like me) produce something that looks like it belongs in a fire pit.

As far as short story vs. a novel, I this is what I've learned.

Don't write short stories to practice writing a novel. The two are completely different story forms. If you want to write a novel, concentrate on writing a novel.

Do write short stories if you want to write shorts. Do write them if you need to experience what it feels like to actually finish something and type, "the end." Learning how to complete a story is just as valuable as learning to craft one in the first place.

Also, everybody starts at different places in actual writing skill. It's like any other skill, practice will go a long way. One thing that has helped me stay on target with raising two kids and working is to set a lowball goal I can meet every single day. 200 words. 500 words. Something short and doable I can whip out in 15 minutes. If your goal is to write a 100K word novel, that can seem like an intimidating goal. If you get in the habit of writing 500 words a day, you'll have your first draft in only 200 days (or less, since you'll probably have a lot of days where you get on a roll and produce 1000+).

Edit:

I took Holly Lisle's How to Think Sideways course. It was AMAZING. She doesn't teach technical grammar/writing skills, her courses assume you already know that. She teaches critical thinking, storytelling/scene/plot/character/worldbuilding/awesomesauce. Her course shaved years off my learning curve. And several of my classmates have gone on to land sweet book deals. She also has a nice self-publishing and promotion clinic if that's a route you'd like to go.

http://howtothinksideways.com/
Great advice!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Great advice has been given in this thread!

I wrote a novel a couple of years ago. I have yet to completely read through and edit it. I would force myself to write 2,000 words a day- I'd sit at the computer and just type it out! That's the most important piece of advice I can give you: JUST WRITE! Just get it out there.

The Nanowrimo forums are a good resource. Obviously their novel writing month doesn't start until November, but there is a lot of good advice to be found in their forums.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
having a computer in front is too distracting and I freeze.
I have to turn off the internet.