Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Writing a book

So I want to write a book.

The reason this came up was because 3 nights ago I had a terrible, horror movie of a dream. But it was SOOO good, like I was watching a movie in my sleep.

I told my best friend about my dream, and she said "That sounds like a horror or scifi crazy movie. You should write about it!" As a joke, but I was like ooooh good idea! lol

So since then, I've been wanting to write a book, strictly based off of a dream I had. Sounds crazy and a little stupid, but everyone has weird/strange/crazy ideas they want to do.

Most people never remember their dreams, I remember them. From the people in them to the clothes they are wearing to what they say.
And I use to have a dream, wake up, go back to sleep, then dream something else. But this dream; I had the dream, woke up, went back to sleep, and continued to have this dream.

But I want to write about this dream. As a horror/scifi/fictional book.

How would I go about doing this? I just want to doodle around and get a feel of the writing world.

So any advice, info, anything, would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

I've thought about writing a book, too. It's kind of been a dream since I was really little. Also a dream: being the President's (any president) speech writer.

Anyway, I've dabbled a little bit in fan fiction, and while there are a lot of really bad fan fic writers, there are also some good ones. And they have discussion forums. I learned a lot just reading threads of writers discussing characters and plot lines and stuff. I haven't gotten real serious about writing, so I'm sure there are other sources out there, but that's just my one suggestion.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Wookie Collie

My advice?

Don't start with a book.

Start with writing short stories. Even fanfics, the fanfic world is a great place to get feedback on your writing, prose and structure with using established worlds and characters.

Dreams are usually great fodder for short stories. You can even sell your better short stories as e-books for a dollar or two on places like Smashwords to get your name out there on a smaller scale, before building up to publishing a book.

The writing world is very neck and neck. I have a few writer friends who are still working their way into it after ten years of writing (and they're GOOD - here's a good friend who is amazing at sci-fi/fantasy, check her out!)

Good writing is like any other craft. Art, handcrafting, any skill... it's all the same. Your stuff will suck at first. How much you improve is based on how much time you put into ongoing learning, practice, and refining.

Resources I like:

Usually when I write fiction I use this method, it works great.
http://www.bubblecow.net/see-how-eas...owflake-method

Some pretty amazing tips from many established authors:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010...ction-part-one

TONS of stuff on this site. It can be a bit tricky to navigate at first. Be patient. There's good stuff here.
http://www.fictionfactor.com/

Ridiculous amounts of good article sources.
http://writeitsideways.com/101-of-th...g-tips-part-i/

Also, you should do this:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

But also join their website in general, great resources and tips for writers.

Hope that helps! I'm mostly a fic writer myself, but I'd love to get into short stories as well, with all that free time I have.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks yall!

Allie- I will definitely check out all of those links! <3

ETA: I joined that last link. Can't wait to see what they have!
And I'm going to check out what your friend has done as well
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Taxiderpy

The best advice I ever got was:

Butt in chair. Write.

It's okay if your first draft is crap. That's what revision is for so don't be discouraged by it. Some people write very clean first drafts, others (like me) produce something that looks like it belongs in a fire pit.

As far as short story vs. a novel, I this is what I've learned.

Don't write short stories to practice writing a novel. The two are completely different story forms. If you want to write a novel, concentrate on writing a novel.

Do write short stories if you want to write shorts. Do write them if you need to experience what it feels like to actually finish something and type, "the end." Learning how to complete a story is just as valuable as learning to craft one in the first place.

Also, everybody starts at different places in actual writing skill. It's like any other skill, practice will go a long way. One thing that has helped me stay on target with raising two kids and working is to set a lowball goal I can meet every single day. 200 words. 500 words. Something short and doable I can whip out in 15 minutes. If your goal is to write a 100K word novel, that can seem like an intimidating goal. If you get in the habit of writing 500 words a day, you'll have your first draft in only 200 days (or less, since you'll probably have a lot of days where you get on a roll and produce 1000+).

Edit:

I took Holly Lisle's How to Think Sideways course. It was AMAZING. She doesn't teach technical grammar/writing skills, her courses assume you already know that. She teaches critical thinking, storytelling/scene/plot/character/worldbuilding/awesomesauce. Her course shaved years off my learning curve. And several of my classmates have gone on to land sweet book deals. She also has a nice self-publishing and promotion clinic if that's a route you'd like to go.

http://howtothinksideways.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Fanfics are teh awesome!!!

I used to write. I recently tried writing again. It failed. Turns out I'm only a decent writer when I'm depressed. Go figure.

OT: Wanna know the worst feeling in the world?? Having a movie/book/tv series end horribly, but thinking it's all A-OK, you'll just go read some more satisfying endings on fanfic.net only to realize THERE IS NO FANDOM!!! As in, there are only 12 stories about the series. TWELVE!! Now I have to write my own. Don't be surprised if I am moody and depressing the next few months as I write my own ending to the series.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The best advice I ever got was:

Butt in chair. Write.
Probably the best advice I would have as well, honestly... that's pretty much what it boils down to.

Also, get yourself a notebook and write down all your ideas in it. Doesn't matter if it's a line or two or several pages. Just get it written down.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Fanfics are teh awesome!!!

I used to write. I recently tried writing again. It failed. Turns out I'm only a decent writer when I'm depressed. Go figure.

OT: Wanna know the worst feeling in the world?? Having a movie/book/tv series end horribly, but thinking it's all A-OK, you'll just go read some more satisfying endings on fanfic.net only to realize THERE IS NO FANDOM!!! As in, there are only 12 stories about the series. TWELVE!! Now I have to write my own. Don't be surprised if I am moody and depressing the next few months as I write my own ending to the series.
Ditto on that last part. I've feel in love with the movie Chronicles and I really want to read some good fanfiction of it. Tried hard to look for them, but only found 4 of them. Only one was readable.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

You can also mess around with different writing mediums. I've found that I'm a pen and paper person. having a computer in front is too distracting and I freeze.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Write. Write. Write some more. If you have writers block, find some writing excercise online and do that. Just don't sit there and stare at a blank screen.

And if you have a great idea, write it down. Write down everything you think of about it. Carry a notebook and write down those ideas that come to you throughout the day.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com