Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMom
thats ok Titus they eat maggots on FEAR FACTOR
The buffalo testies did it for me, I never watched that show again. But was not offended by maggot eating dogs because they eat their own poo so that is gross enough.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Naturally Natural

the active ingredient is ivermectin, and the "brand name" is ivomec that is commonly sold as both cattle and sheep drench, pour on, oral, injectable, etc.

ivomec/ivermectin does not cover ALL internal parasites, so there are some you still need to worry about (off the top of my head whipworms, giardia, coccidia, etc)

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim
the active ingredient is ivermectin, and the "brand name" is ivomec that is commonly sold as both cattle and sheep drench, pour on, oral, injectable, etc.

ivomec/ivermectin does not cover ALL internal parasites, so there are some you still need to worry about (off the top of my head whipworms, giardia, coccidia, etc)
Ivomac is the one I use, I read it right off the bottle and it is spelled with an a not an e, but the active ingredient is ivermectin and my vet told me it covered everything except tape worm.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Show Dog

lol yeah what they can get into eh...

you pretty much got all the information that you needed I just wanted to add to always keep a close eye on. When we first got Penny I was totally convinced she couldn't have worms coz she had been de-wormed by the breeder's vet (I had proof of that) but she had bloody stool etc. the day after we got her so I took her to the vet right away and they tested her stool... she had worms!!! They explained to me that not all de-worming medication takes care of all kinds of worms, she had been treated with a very commonly used de-worming medication by vets and it took care of round worm tape worm etc. but not the hookworms she had been infected with so she got some different stuff to take care of that.

Our vet got us the Advantage stuff against flea's that also takes care of heartworm etc.

Glad to hear your tidus is okay tho!!! and yeah I agree, is there more pictures??? he's so cute!!

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Naturally Natural

advantage is NOT for heartworms - its only flea control. please double check your vet, maybe you misunderstood or they misspoke - do not rely on it for heartworm preventative!

and like i said, ivermectin does not cover everything. what it covers is pretty much just roundworms and hookworms. which is what heartgard, for instance, is licensed to cover aside from heartworm preventative.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

I use Interceptor .... for the heart worms etc. Tapeworms being from fleas have to be treated on their own. I have never had any pup leave my care with any worms in all my years of breeding. All my adults were worm free , therefore the pups born that way . I always had the pup's stools checked twice before going " home" . Never positive. I learned this in 1964 when a pup I bought had worms..... no excuse !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Fila Love

My three are on interceptor. According to the package, it reads, "to prevent heartworm disease, control adult hookworm infections, and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms in dogs and puppies, and to prevent heartworm disease and remove adult hookworms and roundworms in cats and kittens."
Guess that means they can get worms, but when they reach adults it will kill them.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 AM
GSDMom

I panacur mine every 6 months (my Vet Recomended)
Ivomec is for heart worm, mosquitos spread heart worm and we have them pretty thick here sometimes

Last edited by GSDMom; 11-18-2005 at 08:27 AM.