Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Puppy Dog

Default heart worm medicine fight other worms?

Hi guys I got a problem. Today I found Tidus with his face in a 1/2 opened can of cat food I found. I own 2 cats at home and I guess they knocked over a can and the collision with the floor opened the can. The food was rotting and had what looked like worms on it. Maggots? I dont think so, I think it could have been Tapeworms. Anyways I'm gonna watch Tidus closely today and check his stools and the fur around his anus. The only thing is that Tidus has HeartGuard and I remember the vet telling me that it kills other worm along with heartworms. Is this true? Tidus is scheduled for another heartworm med. this week, I'm thinking about giving it to him today. I am not gonna shy away from the vet. check-up though if he does end up having worm, but I wanted to know if heartguard fights them too?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:16 PM
GSDMom

Heartgard Plus is 100% effective against heartworms; and it controls roundworms and hookworms. There is also Heartgard regular - that is only good for heartworm.

you would need panacur or drontol+ to kill tapes
maybe flagyl does too not sure about that one
Old 11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Where were the worms seen? The rotten food or the dogs stool?

If they were in the can, they are not tapeworms, they are maggots. And although digusting the pup will probably be fine. I am not that experienced with maggots, but I have not heard of any internal worms passed from maggot to dog. If the dog ate any I assume they would be digested and done.

If you are still worried, give your vet a call.

Best of Luck,
Julie.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:41 PM
yuckaduck

I use Ivomac so I don't have to worry at all about worms because it looks after them. If you are worried call your vet.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:58 PM
GSDMom

I am pretty sure Ivomac and Ivomec only kills external parasites
I give 1/2 cc of Ivomec to mine monthly for heart worm, verify this with your vet and let me know please

thanks
Bonnie
Old 11-16-2005, 07:46 AM
GSDMom

I had a huge thought about my last post here!
if Ivomec only kills external parasites, how can it kill heart worm?
hmmmmmmmm so I did some research and I was WRONG

IVOMEC Kills internal and external parasites - Worms, Sucking Lice

Bonnie

Last edited by GSDMom; 11-16-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:36 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMom
I am pretty sure Ivomac and Ivomec only kills external parasites
I give 1/2 cc of Ivomec to mine monthly for heart worm, verify this with your vet and let me know please

thanks
Bonnie

Yup same thing here, the vet told me it is for preventative heartworm and other internal worms. It does not kill heartworm if the dog already has it, it is a preventative just like heart guard. A heartworm can swim in Ivomac and not be bothered at all. Just like if the dog has heartworm, Heartguard will not cure it. I have never used Ivomec it is Ivomac that I use. THe injectable swine or cattle one but it is given orally to dogs. Please be advised that Collies should never ever use this drug, just in case someone is reading this and thinks of trying it. Collies, Shelties, Border Collies----it can kill them because Ivomac interferrs with their brain barrier.

Edited in: I just had a look at the bottle I use on vets' advice---it is ivomectrin that is the active ingredient
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Puppy Dog

(DO NOT READ FOR THE WEAK OF STOMACH)

well...it turns out that Tidus is fine, I saw no stomach aches or any sign of any other "wormage"(?), so it seems that he probably just had a nice taste of maggots. Why do dogs have to eat everything???
Old 11-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Sit! Good dog.

*off topic - sorry*

do you have any more pics of tidus?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 PM
GSDMom

thats ok Titus they eat maggots on FEAR FACTOR