Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default Clothes shopping rant

Yesterday, I went shopping for new businesswear for the first time in ages. Holy cow, have I been out of the loop!

WTH is going on with clothing stores now?? When did inexpensive clothes become so, well.....CHEAP? I'm all for paying low prices, but really? Did they have to sacrifice quality so much? Yes, it's amazing that this collared, button-down shirt is $8 at regular price, and $4 on clearance. Unfortunately, it feels like an old potato sack and is cut so weirdly that it obviously wasn't designed with a human in mind.

I'm notoriously cheap. My favorite shopping place is the clearance rack. Still, I don't mind paying a little more money to have clothes that actually fit properly and don't feel like they're made out of recycled newspaper. Prices are lower than I've seen in a long time, but the quality is correspondingly pathetic. Also, it's as if retailers are going either all super cheap, or all high-end. It's nearly impossible to find decent middle-of-the-road clothing.

Blarg. I ended up biting the bullet and going with the higher end clothing. Even the sales rack prices made me want to cry. Still, I decided it was preferable than the alternative.

Has anybody else noticed this trend? Or is it just in my area?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

can't say I have really noticed it but then I rarely go clothes shopping and when I do I pretty much stick to Kohl's. I love everything I've gotten from there and I've gotten it for dirt cheap. my skin is also not really sensitive to textures I guess because I have this turtle neck sweater that is blue and sparkly... basically it has tinsel woven into it lol. that should be uncomfortable as all get out and probably explains why I found it at goodwill with the tags still on it lol but it doesn't bother me. On most people it would probably be itchy and scratchy and annoying as all get out but I dont' notice it at all LOL

as long as it doesn't LOOK like a potato sack I'm OK with it lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
as long as it doesn't LOOK like a potato sack I'm OK with it lol
LOL! I LOVE Kohl's. Unfortunately, we don't have one in our town. We do have a Marshall's, and I love it. But their businesswear selection is terrible. I did end up with a nice sweater from there, but that was about it. I used to love shopping at Ross. But when I went yesterday, it was the same problem: it was full of really cheap junk.

Maybe it's a trend that's only going on in businesswear?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
LOL! I LOVE Kohl's. Unfortunately, we don't have one in our town. We do have a Marshall's, and I love it. But their businesswear selection is terrible. I did end up with a nice sweater from there, but that was about it. I used to love shopping at Ross. But when I went yesterday, it was the same problem: it was full of really cheap junk.

Maybe it's a trend that's only going on in businesswear?
You know I've never been into Marshall's but everytime I see a commercial I think "I should go in there next time I'm at the mall" and then I never think of it lol.

I haven't been into a Ross in ages. the only one here is out in the big touristy area of town and it's a NIGHTMARE out there lol.

If it is a trend in businesswear that would explain why I haven't come across it yet

I do hope you can find some stuff that is comfortable and looks nice. I know sometimes I try on something and wonder who the heck it was made for because it obviously wasn't made with a womans body in mind

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Twin 2.0

No, that's pretty much all clothes. Businesswear is just especially noticable. Any of my nice clothes, I ended up just sucking it up and going to either Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom's clearance rack is an actual store--AMAZING place), Express or something similar.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

YES. I can't shop at discount places anymore, which kills the frugal side of me. I've come to realize that I would much rather spend $50 on a skirt that I will wear for years that will look and feel good than to spend $10 on one that will fall apart with a few washings and only semi-fits me.

I buy 90% of my clothing at The Limited now. It fits me, it's high quality, and with coupons I can still get relatively good deals. I walk into Marshals and Kohls and Target and TJ MAXX and try to find stuff that I'd wear to work...and I just can't find it most of the time.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

I also love Goodwill. I know a lot of people don't like wearing used clothing, but growing up most of my clothes were 'pre-loved' by my sister, cousins or garage sales, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

Our Kohl's here has stuff that is just oddly sized.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Twin 2

I'm lucky enough to have a thrift store that only takes in really high end quality pieces that is located directly behind my house. I walk there all the time.

So I go there often, scope out what they have and get one or two things every few times I go. Stuff is so cheap and so high quality. Love it.

But, that doesn't help you at all so good luck!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
YES. I can't shop at discount places anymore, which kills the frugal side of me. I've come to realize that I would much rather spend $50 on a skirt that I will wear for years that will look and feel good than to spend $10 on one that will fall apart with a few washings and only semi-fits me.
Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. Even though my reasoning was sound, my inner Cheap-O-Meter was not pleased. And you guys are making me afraid to go into Kohl's now! It's been about two years since I've been in one. Maybe the trend has hit there, too.

I would love to go to a high-end thrift store. It sounds great. The thrift stores here are almost entirely stocked with relics from the 70s and 80s. Great source for Halloween costumes or acid-wash jeans, but not much else.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Who woulda thought <3

the only store i buy "clothes" at JCPenneys... me and the other half actually went to an outlet mall the other day and found some great name brand stuff at half the price... <3