Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
orange iguanas.

About once a week.

Both my dogs click when they walk. I can tell based on the sound of Juno's clicking if she's due for a nail trim... I don't mind that she clicks, her nails don't actually touch the ground when she's just standing, and I haven't been able to get her quicks to recede. So whatever.

Lucy's nails are much longer than I'd like them to be, but she's such a butthead when it comes to nail trims that I am happy as long as I can clip SOMETHING off each nail. I don't spend my time trying to get them as short as possible cuz she won't stay still long enough for me to do that.

I have a dremel but I don't use it often. I prefer the clipper, as do my dogs. They both become super jerky when I use the dremel, and Juno hardly flinches a muscle when I use the clipper.

Pretty foots.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Cloudcandy

Thanks everyone!
I realised Coco's nails DID tap-pity tap tap on the inside floors just not outside.
So I just trimmed them myself now,I had her standing on top of her crate,with a stick covered in PB in my mouth,first I just held her feet and she got a lick,then I did some nail tapping and she got a lick,then I started trimming.She really didn't mind it,I didn't do them super short as I am nervous of getting close to the quick but her nails are no longer tapping on the floor.That will be my sign to look out for now!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
If I hear clicking on the floor then they are too long. I have dogs, not tap dancers.
Another one here! I really can't stand the "click-click-click-click" on the floor! Although, Enda can be so annoying, she's so silent walking up behind you, and she LOVES to be right on top of you in any room so half the time you don't know she's there till you've run right into her.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Durp Dog

I know, the click clack drives me crazy lol!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Cynder gets hers done when I take her in for a bath - so about once a month. Her's are staying at a really good length, though. I'm actually jealous that all it takes for her to keep them nice and short like that is a trim once a month!

Chloe used to get hers done every time I groomed her (every 6-8 weeks), but after being so used to Cynder's nails I am now determined to get them shorter so she's getting them trimmed whenever I notice that her quick is no longer right at the edge (she has white nails).

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo we are currently torturing twice a week. One session for fronts, one for backs. So really they are getting done once a week, I guess.

We use clippers because they are faster and Frodo does better with them.

As for method: We soak his feet in warm water for a few minutes to soften them up, then Ryan holds him and I clip. He usually squirms for the first half, gives up and we can do the rest really fast. Then we shower him with food.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 PM
orange iguanas.

How the heck do you guys get them to NOT click?! Juno's nails are certainly not long and I can't imagine them getting any shorter than they are in that photo I posted... but, she clicks. It's quiet, but still there.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

I clip once a week. I prefer to leave some length on them to maintain function though, since I expect Pan to run fast and turn quickly in agility.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
such sights to show you

I eyeball them about once a week and clip them probably once every 2-4 weeks. It depends on the time of year and what we've been doing. I leave theirs a bit longer than many here because I want them to have a bit of a grip in the snow for skijoring (in theory, anyway, since we haven't had enough snow this winter to do).

Maisy came to me with a horrible, panicky phobia of having her feet handled, and it's been a struggle to desensitize/counter-condition her. In the summers she gets enough exercise on pavement to wear the nails down, but winters are rough. Often have to sedate her to get it done. Mushing has helped more than anything, since their feet are checked before and after every run, but I don't think it will ever be easy with her. Squash and Pip are a breeze, though.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Backward_Cinderella

We use a dremmel when I start hearing that awful "click" noise on the tile... LoL its usually every few weeks or so.