Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Taxiderpy

The vet we use is awesome and charges $28-35 for an exam. She also does vet tech appointments where you can schedule to bring your dog in for a booster vaccine or a microchip insertion, stuff like that for $15.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Water Junkie

The office fee, I believe, is the same as an exam fee. Which typically runs about $40. But I haven't paid an office fee in a while. Generally they young dogs get vax updates when we board over Christmas, so no office/exam fee to charge for since they are already there and do it whenever they like.

And the last time I took Lizzie in for a rabies update, the tech just came in and gave her the shot, and that was that. So no office fee. Rabies cost $16, IIRC.

What I don't like, is being told I have to give DHLPP (I think that's the correct term) and canine flu every year just to board my dogs. I can't stand that. That alone will cost about $50-$70 per dog.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

My vet's prices are very reasonable, and there is no fee to walk through the door. But most vets around here are ridiculously expensive, and to walk through the door alone is upwards of $40.00.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Let it be

I don't have a vet yet in Kelowna (will when I take the cat to get neutered) but down here in Vancouver my vet was very reasonably priced. I never felt overcharged and they were a 24/7 office. In a bit of a ghetto area but they were great. I honestly think their area had something to do with why they weren't ask expensive. THe building couldn't have cost an arm and a leg like it would've in a nicer area of town.

Plus, in a low income area most people aren't rolling in money. So they seemed to price fairly for the area.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Well to be honest I am not too sure. Teagan really goes into the vet when she really needs it. I do my own vaccination. And she does not get those every year. Or ever.

But when I did take her in last year for a check up because of her incontinace I remember it not being too pricey.

Now since Im moving to a rural area, I am not looking forward to how expensive the price of a vet will be. I have not really looked into it. Heck, they might be even cheaper who knows.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

[QUOTE=Paige;1940972]I don't have a vet yet in Kelowna QUOTE]

You live in Kelowna? Im thinking that we should get together in the future. Kelowna is just a drive away once we move to Sparwood. Or you should include yourself in the Chaz meet up when that happens.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

It depends where you go. Our vet is amazing, I love them so much. We've been using them for years and they treat us so well and don't ever over charge us. They give us breaks where they can and always give us the best care and attention. A couple weeks ago to get an exam plus medecine for Violet was like $35.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

It's expensive here. For the SPCA clinic it's 50-60 for walk in general assessments. For the other vets, it's 80-120 just for a consultation.

Routine spays are about 300-500 here.

Rabies shots cost 60-80.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

I'm screwed cuz my vet finally retired. He would drop our exam fees and he was soooo cheap! Some vets here are expensive and some are pricey, just depends.

Thank god my new horse vet is just like my old vet. My emergency call a couple months ago with mess was 82$! Lol! Can't beat that.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The vet I use is *very* expensive. But she is amazing with Frodo. AMAZING. So even though I am paying triple what other places in the area charge, I have piece of mind. She doesn't skimp on things because he's being an a**hole, and she takes all the time we need to get through the visit with as little stress as possible for both Frodo and myself. She is also a holistic vet in the middle of the city, which is also going to drive prices.

Almost all of my friends here use this clinic, and I have yet to hear a bad word about them.

The only other place I have used that I was happy with was the clinic that SpringerLover worked at. And that was awesome because she was able to poke him with the needle to knock him out, not the scary vet

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.