Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Cost of veterinary care too high?

What's your opinion on the cost of veterinary care? I definitely feel it's gone up, but I also think it depends where you live too.

When I was in NM it was much more affordable. Out here in VA it's nearly 4 times as much to do anything outside of basic shots and shots are about twice as much as what I paid in NM. Out here a lot of vets will charge you anywhere from $50-100 just to WALK in the door. When you add all the costs for whatever you have done you end up going home with a bill that's large enough to knock your.eyes out of your sockets.

Just curious your thoughts on vet care prices and how it differs where you live?

And here's an article that is circling facebook about vet prices
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2...sey=nav%7Chead
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Our vet is pretty cheap. Last month Kiba was in for a check up and rabies and it was under $40 (we live in Maine).

But you can also look at different areas and see what cost of living is compared to vet prices. You're going to pay more in Washington, D.C. then up in the sticks of Maine.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Lord Cynical

What I find hard to stomach is the office fees. It shouldn't be $30-$40 to walk in the door - especially when all that pays for is the use of a scale (which I operate and read off the weight) and maybe a temperature reading.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
What I find hard to stomach is the office fees. It shouldn't be $30-$40 to walk in the door - especially when all that pays for is the use of a scale (which I operate and read off the weight) and maybe a temperature reading.
$30-40!?!?! In Chicago it's $50-75, depending on where you go. I'd kill for it to be $30-40, lol. The only place that's $40 is... wah wah... Banfield. LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Our vet charges $40 for an office visit, which is really reasonable for a holistic vet.

I'm kind of torn on how I feel about the expenses of vet care. I can understand why the prices are high. Vet school is expensive and similar in length to med school. Vets are supposed to be able to handle every situation- surgeries, illnesses, dental work, etc.

On the other hand, a vet only sees your dog for a few minutes during a "typical" office visit. The costs can really add up when they're tacked onto that initial visit fee.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Do you have to pay an exam fee in addition to the office fee?
Puppy Dog

Where I have lived for the past few years it has seemed pretty reasonable. Where I go almost never charges their "office visit fee" unless you are coming in for vaccines or other routine things. I am however, comparing the fees here to California and Bend, OR, so I'm not sure it means much (and my boyfriends family who is from this area thinks we are insane on how much we spend). Also, avian vet care is ridiculously expensive compared to standard dog stuff. I think a lot has to do with the improvement of care and the technology available now.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Do you have to pay an exam fee in addition to the office fee?
Ah, I misread. No, we typically pay ONLY the exam fee, which is priced between $50-75.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

One of the vets here doesn't charge an office fee. He charges about $5 for most vaccines, and sometimes he doesn't feel like heading up to the register, so he'll do it at no charge, lol.

But, he's about a 20 minute drive away, and the vet we use is a 2 minute drive away, so we don't go to him. The vet we do use is pretty cheap too, but keep in mind, we live in Mississippi.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
On second thought...

Our vet charges 40 for the yearly exam, weighing, look over, check the eyes, the heart and lungs, the ears, etc. And most shots are like... $15?

I'm glad I live in NH, where it's on the cheaper side. I can't imagine what vet care costs in other places!

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.