Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 AM
overdogged

I find the majority of Labs to be.... aggressively friendly. Oh sure they love other dogs. Love love love hi hi hi but they are very rude about it and do not heed warnings or respect the space-increasing body language of other dogs. So while they are not aggressive themselves, they seem to bring out aggression in other dogs because they make them so uncomfortable.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
So the breeds that come to mind for me are huskies, sammies, retrievers, beagles, bassets, shibas, papillons, frenchies, pekes, cavaliers, greyhounds, poodles, bichons, and clumbers.
In my experience paps can be a touch on the reactive side. But I agree they're usually not DA. I've only ever met one really dog aggressive papillon.

They're also not the best when it comes to very forward and in your face types of dogs. I guess it really just depends on what you mean by 'socially confident'. If you're looking for a dog not out to pick fights and that can easily ignore other dogs, they'd be great. If you're looking for a dog that delights in playing with all kinds of other dogs, then not so much.

Last edited by Laurelin; 02-16-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsi View Post

What about the utility gundogs? Such as Vizslas and GSPs? Or Springers?
Setters and Retrievers do strike me as typically confident for sure.
I would think if Poodles are too much dog for you, you probably shouldn't even consider Viszlas or GSPs (or Weims). IME those three require tons of socialization, are super active, destructive and can tend towards having issues like separation anxiety and phobias. They always can tend to be standoffish or guardy or shy with strangers. Not to say all are like that at all. I have met some that were easier than others. A lot depends on the individual dog and what is done with them from puppyhood on but they are not what I would consider easy breeds.

The right Springer could work well, you just have to be really picky about the dog you get. There are also Welsh Springer Spaniels, which I haven't met a lot of but the ones I've been around have all been nice, friendly dogs that seem to be pretty "easy". Most of the setter and retriever breeds could fit very well. However, the lines selectively bred for high level field trial competitions can be "a lot of dog" - extremely high energy and harder temperaments. Luckily there's lots of lines to choose from in many of the breeds
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Poodles are very UP dogs, but very adaptable to their person. They are people pleasers through and through, and are so fun. I love poodles!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Slave to the Aussie

How about a Brittany? Quite a lot of dog though.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsi View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, maybe it's just that poodles are very 'up' dogs that gives me that impression. Absolutely lovely, but maybe I'm not quite the right owner for one. I'd definitely note them down for further research though.
If you like the attitude of the poodle, there are also the miniature and the klein sizes (klein is between miniature and standard -basically a smaller standard).
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
If you like the attitude of the poodle, there are also the miniature and the klein sizes (klein is between miniature and standard -basically a smaller standard).
See, I think I really have to meet some more breeds and some more individuals of breeds. Poodles, Brittanies, Springers etc. Truly, my experiences with them are so very limited that I really only have a couple of specimens to go by as examples (and Brittanies I haven't met.) Awesome. I'll have to make it my homework!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Every springer I have ever met has been full on. I like energy, but to me they're hyper.

What about matching a specific dog done through a reputable rescue?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I find the majority of Labs to be.... aggressively friendly. Oh sure they love other dogs. Love love love hi hi hi but they are very rude about it and do not heed warnings or respect the space-increasing body language of other dogs. So while they are not aggressive themselves, they seem to bring out aggression in other dogs because they make them so uncomfortable.
Ain't that the truth, Most labs I know drive Teagan Batty, (mainly one named Bently) and dont heed her greatly shown body language to Eff OFF when she has had enough of them.!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
On the doodle bit, how are poodles? I have actually never met a standard poodle in person. It seems like people are more likely to own mixes than purebreds.
The 2 standards I have and each one I have met have been great with people & other dogs. Very confident, easy to train and truly a joy to have. While they are ready & willing to get up & join in on any activity they are just as willing to settle and snuggle as well.