Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Default Sam agility videos!

I know I haven't posted in a reallyyyy long time, but I figured I'd post some videos of Sam doing a course and part of a course just to show you guys. Sam's been doing agility for a year in April and we just starting doing two classes a week a instead of one last month. This is his "new" class. Sorry I don't know how to embed stuff so the links will have to do :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGEm...vUhlkSGhvBOarT
First one, this is just a part of the course, we need to work some more on sending out to the obstacle. And he has teeter issues, he got thrown off of it once and he's been scared since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxfWc...zu9gpTWbIL2EYD
This was the same sequence. I think it's better except after the 2nd (3rd?) jump where he walked off, but he did come back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtCh...fVPmFVukogYjSG
Full course. Pretty much everything he did wrong was due to my bad handling :P

That's it! If you guys have any suggestions for improvement or stuff you think we need to work on I'd love to hear

Oh and the way this class teaches weaves is with the weave-o-matics, I'm starting him with 2x2s next week since I don't have school. Is it okay to be teaching weaves in more than one way at a time? The other class does channel weaves and he hasn't had any confusion so far but 2x2s is pretty different from those two. He'll be on break from agility for a few weeks starting next sunday so I'm hoping that if I work with them enough he'll have them down by the time we start again.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Sport Model Pug

My suggestion... Pin your bangs back so you aren't fussing with them! It's distracting to you and your dog. Lol.

I'll let others deal with the actual agility stuff.

Glad to see you found a place to go for classes (if i recall you were having some trouble finding a class right?)

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Haha yep, that's what the instructor said too so I'll be doing that from now on. We have class again tonight so we'll see if that makes any difference!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Awww you guys are so cute!!

You're dropping your arm a little too quickly, and pulling him towards you and missing jumps. Have you tried the seesaw without the trainer? He looks a bit confused why this lady (I'm assuming the teacher) is leaning over him when he's going up the seesaw. Tsuki is afraid of our trainer, and would refuse to get on if he's near it. But with me I barely now have to lower it for her. I too suggest doing something about the hair. I too am always messing with my bangs, so I wear a hat when I'm doing agility.

That's just me 2 cents. LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Ahh okay, gotcha with the arm thing.

And no, I haven't tried it without the trainer so I'll try that. Sam loves everyone so didn't even think of that!

Another thing with the teeter I think is that, since I half expect him to refuse it he maybe somehow senses something is up and maybe that's putting him off? I was thinking of having my mom send him over it since he listens to her but doesn't run with her and see if he does it any differently. Would that be okay to try or would it just confuse him more?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Sport Model Pug

What have you done with the teeter?

Happiest place?
Bang game?
Surfing?

How did you teach it in the first place and what have you done to help him since he was flung off it?

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

I haven't done too much with it, to be honest. What I've been doing more or less is treating him every time he goes a little bit further on it and just making it seem like more of a good thing and less scary. I've never really heard of any of those games, do you mind explaining them? I'd love to try those out!
I think initially we taught it on a tippy board, then moved to the teeter set at a few inches off the ground and moved up gradually from that, although I don't think it's at full height at all in this class. I also remember treating when the teeter hit the ground (just the bang, not with the dog on it) just to associate the noise with good things.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Sport Model Pug

Happiest place is when you prop the tippy end of the teeter up and just have the dog run straight up it to the cookies at the top so they associate running up it as good times, then you lift them off it.

Bang game is propping the teeter up so that the down end is only up a little bit and you get the dog to hop up on it on his own to make the bang sound and treat.

Surfing you have someone hold the down end of the teeter and have the dog run up like in happiest place and then you move the end up and down slowly and lift dog off at first and increase motion gradually over time so that you can lower it with the dog on it to the ground.

Eventually all those components come together and you get a dog that likes the teeter.

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Oh okay! Thanks I think I'll try some of those tonight in class if were not using the teeter for other stuff!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

ZOMG you're alive!

I have nothing to contribute.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13