Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
For this particular instance, yes, the USDA doesn't fully get the blame. That does lie with the school.

I'd be pitching one hell of a royal fit if this had been my kid.
Ditto and I sure as hell wouldn't be paying the school lunch fee (even if it is less than $2) and if they are going to make an issue of this they can buy my groceries too

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

Outrageous! My goodness! This country is not the America I once knew.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Outrageous! My goodness! This country is not the America I once knew.

See my last post . . . as much as I'd like to be outraged, as the details emerge . . . this isn't the story it has been sold as. It might still be objectionable from a certain standpoint, but the facts are very different from the story being circulated.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Most schools here will not allow certain items in packed lunches.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

From Lil's link:

Quote:
The original story further obscures that in no circumstance was this child ***8211; or any child, for that matter ***8211; being forced to eat the school-provided lunch, nor was this child -or any other child ***8211; deprived of her boxed lunch. Instead, as the second linked story acknowledges, the child was just provided with additional food and given the option to consume that in addition to her boxed lunch. In other words, the claim that the school ***8220;replaced***8221; this girl***8217;s turkey sandwich, banana, apple, potato chips, and juice with chicken nuggets is totally bogus.

By and large, what this story boils down to is that a low-income child whose tuition is fully subsidized by the state under a program her mother opted into was offered some additional food to supplement the boxed lunch she brought from home. This option was provided not because of some overarching, generally applicable law or regulation, but because the program in which her mother and school voluntarily participate requires such an option be available. The mother apparently objects to this option being provided to her daughter, not because of any health concerns or the like, but because she incorrectly believes that she will be charged additional money for her child being provided this option. Since she won***8217;t in fact be charged for this and there is no evidence she was ever going to be charged for it, there is absolutely no harm actually being done to her or her child.
Sounds like a whole bunch of hullabaloo about nothing.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
From Lil's link:

Sounds like a whole bunch of hullabaloo about nothing.
This case may have been.....

But I do know some schools/ teachers have a ridiculous "I know BEST complex" I have been on the receiving end of that before.... As long as my kids are happy, healthy, well adjusted and not abused... Stay out of my home!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I'm glad to hear it and I hope all the info in that link is the real truth.

It still seems like a huge waste. I mean I suppose some kids can but Hannah just could not eat a serving of meat, a serving of fruit and two servings of veggies and milk (was grain a requirement? I can't remember and I"m too lazy to look at this point) in one sitting. there is no WAY she would even eat half of that at one time not to mention how many kids wouldn't touch half of that food anyway because they just dont' like it because like it or not 4 year olds can be picky no matter how much you shove vegetables at them. I also don't like the idea of giving more children the subsidized lunches (even if they aren't needed) just to get more money ... kind of seems like a vicious cycle. Give kids more food than most would or could eat that costs money to get more money? That logic is lost on me.

Either way... I hope it's true for a number of reasons but also because I would be really ticked if I was sending food only for it to be thrown away because it's not good enough. Food isn't FREE lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post

But I do know some schools/ teachers have a ridiculous "I know BEST complex" I have been on the receiving end of that before.... As long as my kids are happy, healthy, well adjusted and not abused... Stay out of my home!!!
yeah I meant to comment on your post about that... that is NUTS.

I know my nephew and his family had some issues kind of like this when he was in school. Teachers and school officials butting in for things that shouldn't even be a concern or any of their business while kids who truly need help go by the way side while they waste time because little johnny didn't bring an apple with his lunch or something

G.K. Chesterton

Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post

Oh, I agree! (Although having volunteered as a teenager as some inner city schools, I do understand the other side in some cases. Jesus, those poor kids . . . but they were not happy,healthy, well adjusted and some of them WERE abused).

But stories like this 1) spread hysteria, 2) make people with legitimate concerns look like loons when the cite them and 3) just aren't true. Watching this story come apart on my RSS feed today was an interesting lesson in how stories like this spread much faster than they get discredited. That's why I've kept pointing out inaccuracies as I have become aware of them (I haven't actively LOOKED for information to discredit them). Not because I think anyone SHOULD do anything like this, but because the story just isn't true, and people should not get this worked up about it.

If we want to discuss the proper role of government with regard to children's nutritional needs based on the real story, that would be great. But fake outrage isn't a basis for intelligent discussion.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I really think, looking back now they saw a very young set of patents who were fairly poor and struggling and made a ton of biased judgements...