Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Virtually all of them are from one of two breeders...kinda weird. But yeah the show Mals already look rather distinctly different than the sport/working Mals.
That was my first thought as well. You almost cant tell if its a Mal, since they look so much different than the sports/working Mal.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
How is being def NOT a DQ Fault?
I think you might be confused - the dog that won is NOT the blind/deaf double merle. He is the son of the blind/deaf double merle.
The blind/deaf double merle could never be shown. You can't show a dog that is blind, deaf, neutered, or physically altered in any way (except for when the standard allows such as cropping/docking.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
How is being def NOT a DQ Fault?
The dog who took BOB is not deaf. His sire is deaf (and blind) due to being an (intentionally bred) double merle. The sire has never been shown but is used quite a lot for breeding show dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
That was my first thought as well. You almost cant tell if its a Mal, since they look so much different.
They look like Mals to me until they move. They are...stiff, for lack of a better term. The fluffed out coats add to that impression.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think you might be confused - the dog that won is NOT the blind/deaf double merle. He is the son of the blind/deaf double merle.
The blind/deaf double merle could never be shown. You can't show a dog that is blind, deaf, neutered, or physically altered in any way (except for when the standard allows such as cropping/docking.)
yeah , i thought the dog was deaf , from a double breeding.
i see the whole picture now. i think i am going to go throw up now.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah... vomiting is still in order...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 PM
orange iguanas.

One of my sister's mother in law's cairn terriers is there this year. That's a mouthful....

Just a fun fact for you lol I don't watch Westminster so I have nothing else to contribute.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
While I detest intentional double merle breedings, that article is pretty inflammatory and misleading.

Quote:
The Collie Club of America is currently plagued by chaos over the acceptance of sable-merle as an appropriate color, the President has resigned over the issue and factions are forming on each side. There are no known health issues with sable merle other than those with single merle and double merle, and yet the arguments over the ethics of crossing color lines in this case is paramount in the breed and little to no attention is being paid to the horrible ethical consequences of allowing breeders to create infertility, dead fetal puppies, and blind and deaf Collies simply to get a few more merle dogs each litter.
I don't even know why they brought sable merle into it for one thing. The merling in sable merls is identical to the blue merle. The only difference is in blues the merle is overlayed on tricolor, and in sables it's overlayed on sable. IMO, keeping blue and sable lines separate is detrimental to the breed because you're still essentially breeding for color.

Crossing color lines does not produce dead fetuses and blind deaf puppies. From a color standpoint, all sable merle means is that you can get more colors per litter (merle notwithstanding), vs. one or two.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
While I detest intentional double merle breedings, that article is pretty inflammatory and misleading.

I don't even know why they brought sable merle into it for one thing. The merling in sable merls is identical to the blue merle. The only difference is in blues the merle is overlayed on tricolor, and in sables it's overlayed on sable. IMO, keeping blue and sable lines separate is detrimental to the breed because you're still essentially breeding for color.

Crossing color lines does not produce dead fetuses and blind deaf puppies. From a color standpoint, all sable merle means is that you can get more colors per litter (merle notwithstanding), vs. one or two.
That's what they did with Cardigans . . . by banning merles other than blue, they basicly split the breed into two color groups red/brindle/sable and black/tri/blue. All to avoid sable merles . . . does not strike me as the best thing for the breed.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Romy I think you are misreading. His point is that it's ridiculous that the breed club is fighting over colors (sable vs. not sable, sable w/ a single copy of merle) because of how hard it is to see merleing on a sable dog...thereby increasing the risk of inadvertently breeding a double-merle...when there is an obvious case of someone actually and intentionally breeding double-merle right in front of them. That the breed club should be stopping THAT, before fussing over the sable question...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
YES YES YES !! ow I love that color and will be hunting down that puppy to steal it!!!
Oh, and I think the dog you might have been thinking of or saw is Firehorse Franklin aka Oak from Fire horse Cane Corso's
http://www.firehorsecanecorso.com/OurDogs/Oak.html

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff