Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default I need help - emaciated pits

I don't even know where to start... I was biking down my street and saw a bunch of people gathered around a pair of dogs. I realized that the dogs were emaciated and people had offered them some kibble and water. I said something stupid, like, "I work with dogs. Do these guys need help?"

Ok, well now they're on my back porch in a crate, snuggled up to a space heater. I've given them canned food and quite a bit of Gatorade, and I don't know what to do. I can't afford a ton of vet care, but I know that emaciated, scarred-up pits don't make it out of AC. They are good, sweet dogs who keep trying to give me kisses despite everything. Both are neutered, so somebody put some money into them at some point.

ETA: I suppose it's relevant they are pretty weak and I doubt they walk far, so I suspect they were dumped. It also seems obvious they've lived outside for some time.

They are dehydrated but drinking and eating readily. The refill time on their gums is decent.

I only have one pic:

That's Red Dog (lol). His "brother" Yellow Dog is just as bad and has superficial wounds around his muzzle.

What do I do? What are my options? Keeva's breeder has done a lot of rescue and gave me care tips. I just don't know... I really can't hang on to them indefinitely but taking them to AC would break my heart.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Could you maybe network for help to get them into a rescue through like Facebook?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
and Spy.

Any nearby rescues? They may be willing to help.

You could also always put out a plea on craigslist (then just be super careful about verifying info and questioning well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
*Now with Snark*

Be prepared to feed em and water them for awhile, imo at least a month. Start networking with different rescue groups not associated with AC. Small meals, frequently. Short walks. Get a scale and weigh them daily - to every other day. In about 2 weeks if they look a better worm them, then make a vet appointment for two weeks out from that for vaccines and a HW test.

Also - please be very careful no matter how good they behave now - when they feel better they may show you an entirely different dog.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Cloudcandy

Oh dear.I hope you find a solution for this,well done for stepping in for them.I don't know what to suggest,but good luck!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Oh, that is just the saddest thing. It breaks my heart to see this. What is wrong with people who would do this to a dog? I'm so glad you are taking care of them. Kudos. You got some good advice so far. I don't have anything to add really...except maybe the media? It seems a newsworthy story. Sometimes that brings people who want to help. It also may bring some undesirable ones. I don't know how you can tell. I guess you have to be careful and really check people out who may adopt them. I hope they get good homes to make up for this travesty. They deserve it for sure.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Go out and buy puppy nutrical. I brought a girl back in about 3 weeks to a normal weight from that stage with that stuff.

Where are you located? I can look at my rescue resources after work. If you plan to keep them short term let me know and I can PayPal you some money for the nutrical.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Also - please be very careful no matter how good they behave now - when they feel better they may show you an entirely different dog.
This too, my girl was a complete doll but as her strength returned so did her animal aggression. Just be prepared, it doesnt make them a bad dog but be aware that living in that state can cause some issues. Take precautions now so they aren't and you aren't surprised when routines change soon.

ETA, my vet worked with me a lot on price and many vets will when they see dogs like this.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This too, my girl was a complete doll but as her strength returned so did her animal aggression. Just be prepared, it doesnt make them a bad dog but be aware that living in that state can cause some issues. Take precautions now so they aren't and you aren't surprised when routines change soon.

ETA, my vet worked with me a lot on price and many vets will when they see dogs like this.
Thanks you guys! Yeah, I'm totally prepared to see changes in behavior as they recover - especially in the animal aggression department, but all around as well. They've been impressively non-food guardy, all things considered, but I'm still very cautious. They have not met my dogs/cat and most likely will not.

Adrienne, I'm in Chicago - in the city proper. Any contacts you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I can definitely feed them, I can buy the Nutri-cal (but thanks for the offer, that's really kind of you!), and I can easily do some OTC wormer and such. I just can't swing hundreds in vet care, you know? I might call Keeva's vet and see if they can't help me out a little, at least.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
*Now with Snark*

I really think the required vet contact will be minimal since they're already altered - although it might be worth getting them checked for a chip. Really, everything but the HW test you can probably do yourself assuming they don't continue to decline in some way. Most of the time food + water + care solves most of these issues in young dogs. Also with wormers and such often times you can help yourself by shopping online from a reputable broker like jeffers or pet edge.

If you find yourself in need of help with costs please say something here.