Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm mildly obsessive compulsive, but that generally doesn't interfere with daily life. Ive been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, either HFA or AS
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Wookie Collie

I have a lot of anxiety, but I can function in society just fine without medications, service dogs or anything else. So IMO I don't have a disorder, even if my doctors want to say I do.

I see a therapist bi-monthly to monthly, and have done so consistently for the past 6 years or so, taking a break for a year in there somewhere. He agrees that I don't have a disorder. Working through my problems and skeletons bit by bit through writing, homework and coping methods have significantly decreased my attacks and overall anxiety. Now, I still often get attacks just before bed, but can get them under control much more swiftly than before.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Cloudcandy

It's really interesting to hear other peoples stories.
I am not diagnosed with anything other then "chronic-hyperventilation" which I think is a symptom of a anxiety/mental illness,they told me to "try and relax...be less stressed" that's the only help I've got.I probably should go back but I don't even know where to start with what goes on in my head.
It affects me everyday,the norm being I can't breathe,my chest in uncomfortable, then it could also lead to anxiety about stupid things,being weird and crazy,feeling awkward,working myself up,the worst way my day can go is a panic attack,also some sort of hysterical break down which ends with me going to bed exhausted from tears.I can't explain my symptoms,they don't even make sense to me/I can't word it,sometimes weird things like feeling like i haven't spoken that day,or thoughts in my head that I can't get out of my head.I can NOT talk about my feelings.its not an option,I'd rather die.I used to self harm.These kind of things are hard to explain to people who haven't experience it,there are somethings I can't "relax" about,or just "don't think about it".
Maybe I have schizophrenia?My sister(half sister) seems to have some of the same symptoms too.We talk about it.My BF lets me talk and doesn't tel me I'm crazy.Their the only people I "talk" too,and even that is limited.
I need to speak to someone about it soon I guess,before I have a mental breakdown at 30.

Having Coco helps me a lot,having to walk and being physically tired at the end of the day is important.Having her around to stroke relaxes me.

Mental Illness in general suck,people make way for someone in a wheelchair,everyone is aware of cancer,no one understands mental illness.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Kotah BEAR

I don't have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.

I've had a couple of panic attacks in my life and one anxiety attack which happened over the weekend.

I have a lot of things that stress my body which could cause anxiety, like Fran mentioned in her post on page 4 (I think), and if I read it right.

Not being able to have children, spiders, clowns, drowning, and standing on the edge of a very high up place sends me into serious stress mode. BUT I am not afraid of heights, just standing on edges in height up places, which is ironic in a sense to me lol

ETA: But none go into my day to day living. Just if I am in that situation then I go into "OH SH!T" mode.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

If anyone's curious, humans have a natural anxiety that happens when they reach the edge of a height. There is something known as 'the call of the void' when you stand on the edge of something up high, like a cliff or building. There's a tiny voice in your head telling you to jump, even though you know you would die. Just the urge to jump, but not doing, can cause a lot of anxiety, especially if you're not aware of the phenomenon you're experiencing!
I know a lot of people that have anxiety about this scenario, and when I tell them about the call of the void, they often light up and something seems to click, like they'd never realized it before.

My Polyvore
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. I do not take medication for it because at the time I refused to. Looking back I wonder if that was the right decision or not but who knows. I also tend to pick at my skin a lot (dermatillomania) and I'm sure you guys remember the whole fiasco with me pulling my eyebrows out when I was in GA... I still do that to some degree only it's progressed to me searching for and pulling random hairs as well as I pull hair from my head if I'm feeling anxious. I don't notice when I'm doing it and Josh has to stop me if he notices. I deal with this every day and it's embarrassing if I don't have makeup on my face to try and cover up the scabs, sores, and missing hair on my face.

My anxiety triggers are things like driving, rushing somewhere, stores/malls, large crowds, cities, worrying about confrontations etc. I also get panic attacks with smaller things. This morning I was walking Cricket and I couldn't get the poop bag open to pick up her poop. I started hyperventilating and sweating real bad. Something that small shouldn't be a big deal, but I have a tendency to create it into something bigger in my mind.

I also really really do not handle confrontation well at all. For example, the thread I started a while back ago about Bamm going through a downslide. That was a difficult thread for me to start and I got panicky and shut down a bit when people started giving me advice because it overwhelmed me and triggered my panic button. People meant well obviously, but being that I'm constantly struggling with my anxiety I got high on the defensive and almost left the forum because of it. I'm so glad I didn't.

I hate dealing with this all the time. It makes living a normal life hard at times because as much as I try to avoid my anxiety triggers, sometimes you can't avoid situations that make you go.AHHHHHHH!!!!!
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I "play" with my hair when really stressed, when I was a teen it would get bad enough I would have bald patches, but now my hair is very thick and though I know I pull it out it's never noticeable...

I often am not even aware I am doing it, my husband will point it out to me and my Mom says she kept my hair short when I was a kid because the "habit" of playing with it drove her nuts...

I never really thought of it as connected to anything other than a bad habit, but it likely compares more to a nail chewer or that kind of thing?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm All Ears

I have had anxiety/panic attacks to the point that they (doctors) wanted to put me on medication for it for a while. I tried it and hated the feeling I got from the meds so I stopped them (not recommended to stop them on my own).

It's been a process to get 'better' and I still have times where I panic about things. Many times it's things that are years in the past and I obviously cannot control at all. I have a real tendency to blame myself for things regardless of if it is or is not my fault and then I panic when I do something 'wrong'.

It's something I work on. But as I get more active in my life and focused on being healthy both physically and socially, I notice the bad times are much less frequent. I function very well most the time in real life and I doubt anyone other than close friends/family know about it. My sister also has severe anxiety and panic attacks as did my mom. My sister is on medicine (I forget what now) for it and it helps her. I didn't feel like it helped me. But yeah, my sister and I are both diagnosed with anxiety 'disorders'.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I have a lot of anxiety, but I can function in society just fine without medications, service dogs or anything else. So IMO I don't have a disorder, even if my doctors want to say I do.

I see a therapist bi-monthly to monthly, and have done so consistently for the past 6 years or so, taking a break for a year in there somewhere. He agrees that I don't have a disorder. Working through my problems and skeletons bit by bit through writing, homework and coping methods have significantly decreased my attacks and overall anxiety. Now, I still often get attacks just before bed, but can get them under control much more swiftly than before.
Exactly what you said.

I also see a therapist and she's been very helpful just helping.

It is odd you said your panic attacks are worst right before bed. If I have a panic attack (it's rare these days) it is also almost always at night or right before I try to go to sleep. Is that something common?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Exactly what you said.

I also see a therapist and she's been very helpful just helping.

It is odd you said your panic attacks are worst right before bed. If I have a panic attack (it's rare these days) it is also almost always at night or right before I try to go to sleep. Is that something common?
We've discussed it in my therapy sessions, and my doc says it's one of the most common times, since it's often the quietest time of the day when you're alone with your thoughts.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014