Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
Diagnosed anxiety disorder here.
Presently it manifests itself in the form of agoraphobia. Social anxiety has always been a problem for me, but it's gotten worse since moving to a new country. And in general, I get a lot of bad panic attacks. I can't see a doctor like I used to because I'm not covered by any health insurance, and can't afford to pay out of pocket for a GP, and a clinic won't take me.
Sorry, where did you move from??
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Sorry, where did you move from??
I moved to Ontario from Virginia, back in April of 2010. Met my boyfriend online (go figure right, haha) and it sort of fell into place.

I have a hard time even going across to the store for groceries. I don't know why, it's hard to explain and my boyfriend and roommates have asked me about it, which just makes me feel completely ridiculous. I've dealt with this since I was very little (it started out when I was a toddler, and I had a horrible fear of men). My mom has anxiety and depression very bad, so it's not a huge surprise that I deal with it as well. I also believe that we played off one another for a long time. It got better once my mom finally stuck me into counseling, but to be fair all they did was put me on adderall (they said I had ADHD, which I don't disbelieve but don't entirely believe, either) and anxiety medication, and eventually SSRI's for depression, all of which I stopped taking before moving to Canada. Still deal with depression but the anxiety has become the forefront now.

For the record, I'm not offended by anything you've said or asked.

My Polyvore
Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I've actually wondered as well, because it does seem to be an extremely large chunk of people here compared to those I interact with in other ways.

I have definite anxiety that impacts my life, but I don't consider it a disorder or something that needs medication. It is the result of my life until now, and is who I am. The biggest issue for me at this point is that I can't go into the break room at work, at all, unless I walk in with someone. You can't see who is in there or where people are or anything until you are in the room because of where the door is. I don't eat lunches at work generally, and I've skipped work sponsored lunches before when the group I work with has gone in ahead of me, and I can't walk in with them. Could medication change it? Maybe, but I don't want it changing me, if that makes any sense. There are other things, but that is the one that actually impacts me life on a regular basis.

I know others who have had similar issues and have chosen medication as a way to deal with it. I don't judge anyone who chooses to do so; I just don't feel it is right for me.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Obey the Toad.

I have been diagnosed with OCD, which is a type of anxiety disorder.

It very much effects my daily life. I'm a "checker," and it can get especially bad at work. I am medicated for it now, but got so bad for a while that it was brought up by my supervisor.

For the record, I can't say that I've seen a huge difference in how the medication affects me outside of the anxiety. The only thing negative thing about it is that when I forget to take it I get what I guess would be withdrawal symptoms? Although that does help me make sure I take it.

Before the meds I used to have times when I would drive too close to someone standing by the side of the road and if I hit a bump I would be terrified that the bump I went over was actually the person, and if I didn't go back and check I would picture some poor person bleeding in the street all night. At work I would be afraid to make any kind of mistake and would check repeatedly to make sure that I had done everything right, because I wold be afraid of someone being injured or dying because of my mistake. I would check gates, crates, cages, and locks repeatedly. I would be certain that if I misplaced my debit card for a couple of hours that someone had stolen it and was taking all our money. Oh, and I unplugged everything in the house DH would let me get away with unplugging when we left. It has taken quite the effort for me to to be OK with running a space heater for the birds.

I still have bad days, especially if I don't sleep enough, but not like I used to.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Last edited by sillysally; 02-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I'm not diagnosed with this, but I do have a strong belief that I have dermatillomania. It's disgusting and embarrassing and I'll never talk about this ever again; it is the desire to pick at your skin all the time, basically. I will do this for HOURS, and I never know why. I've done it since I was very little, and I used to even try to do it on OTHER PEOPLE (can you imagine the horror my parents felt?!). I hone in on my lips, mainly, but elsewhere as well, usually not stopping until it's completely raw or bleeding, or both.

Ugh I hate it, I hate it so much. But I love it. It makes no sense. I do notice I am very anxious when I do it, but I don't know if it's because I'm doing it, or why I'm doing it.

My Polyvore
Old 02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
I'm not diagnosed with this, but I do have a strong belief that I have dermatillomania. It's disgusting and embarrassing and I'll never talk about this ever again; it is the desire to pick at your skin all the time, basically. I will do this for HOURS, and I never know why. I've done it since I was very little, and I used to even try to do it on OTHER PEOPLE (can you imagine the horror my parents felt?!). I hone in on my lips, mainly, but elsewhere as well, usually not stopping until it's completely raw or bleeding, or both.

Ugh I hate it, I hate it so much. But I love it. It makes no sense. I do notice I am very anxious when I do it, but I don't know if it's because I'm doing it, or why I'm doing it.
My sister pulls her eyelashes out. Trichotillomania I believe! She literally has no top eyelashes and wears false lashes if she goes out anywhere.

She says the same. She hates it, but she has to do it.

She's lucky really it's just her eyelashes and not her head hair... that would be pretty obvious.

We make a joke of it..... She doesn't worry too much about it (that I am aware of). It's just her weird quirk.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
My sister pulls her eyelashes out. Trichotillomania I believe! She literally has no top eyelashes and wears false lashes if she goes out anywhere.

She says the same. She hates it, but she has to do it.
I had a friend with that disorder. Her parents would spend thousands on her to get weaves to try and hide it, and eventually wigs when there was no hair left to weave into.

I've pulled strands of hair out before that wouldn't sit properly, and that hurt. I don't do it compulsively, but I know how bad it can get. I've also accidentally yanked an eyelash out while trying to rid myself of mascara clumps, and oh my GOSH that hurts so much worse than the hair on your head. That's a new kind of pain for me haha.

My Polyvore
Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

This is an interesting thread. I've enjoyed hearing of different peoples' experiences.

I think I have a bit of social anxiety, but nothing detrimental and nothing that would be diagnosed or bad enough that I'd need anything for it. It affects my life a bit, but could be a lot worse. I'm shy, and I never know what to say to people since my life is pretty uneventful, and as a result I often come across as ridiculously awkward. Especially when I first meet somebody, don't know them well, or haven't seen somebody in a really long time. I'm just no good at having a real conversation about most things, and I get myself all worked up and worried about what to say to somebody/worried that I might stumble over words and embarrass myself, etc. And then I leave wondering if the person thinks I'm a complete idiot. I worry way too much about what people think, which is part of why I suck at conversation (does the person really care about what I have to say?). I don't think what I experience is all that uncommon though. And I've never had an anxiety or panic attack. What I experience is just an irrational 'fear' of talking to somebody I don't know and not sounding like a fool. I'm just embarassingly socially awkward sometimes, and with it comes with a bit of anxiety/stress.

Since working in a little retail store though, and being the only person working here, I've had no choice but to talk to customers. And I feel like I am getting better at it. Still shy, but not painfully so. Sometimes I'm still awkward, but hopefully not as bad as I used to be. I feel like I've improved.

I can't even begin to imagine how horrible it would feel to have a severe, diagnosed anxiety disorder of any kind.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Does anyone else get anxious when sharing knowledge, specifically?

I don't know why, but when I tell someone about dogs or cats, and diet or anything about what I know, I get incredibly anxious when I'm saying it, especially in person. It makes me so uncomfortable, the idea of telling someone, or seeming to tell someone how to do something. I have no idea how to do it and not come off as sounding too curt.

Anybody? Just me? Mrow

My Polyvore
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Slave to the Aussie

OCD and AS here.