Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Both Logan and Gavroche were fully awake when they were chipped and they didn't even seem to notice.
Same with not only Caleb, but Mick before him and a rabbit I had chipped.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
What is the point of licensing, anyway? Who is checking to see if pets are licensed, and maybe more importantly... for what reason would they check?...
My understanding is to ensure dogs are getting rabies vacs. So, basically for public health. Used to be here that as long as the rabies vac was good when you licensed your dog (in January) you were fine. In other words, our Sibe/GSDs vac was good til April, but I could license him in January, and get the vac when it expired in April. Then we had a rabies outbreak. They changed the requirement to the vac having to be good for the entire calendar year of the license. Most rabies clinics were held in the spring then, so that meant getting a vac every other year instead of every 3 years. Now they've moved most of the clinics to Novemember, and changed the law to the vac having to be good through Novemember of the licensing year.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Licensing, in my understanding, has two purposes: insure that dogs are getting rabies vacs, as MicksMom noted, and to fund animal control and local shelters.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What is the point of licensing, anyway? Who is checking to see if pets are licensed, and maybe more importantly... for what reason would they check?
As a former animal control officer, I had a list of all the dogs licensed, including their name, age, breed, color, owner, address, and phone number. If I picked up a wandering dog, even if it wasn't wearing a tag, I would flip through and try to figure out whose dog it was. I could frequently just give them a call and drive the dog out to their house for them, no fine or anything. Without it, the dog was headed to the kennel, where it would stay until claimed (and require the owner to pay to get it back, pay for the license, and pay a fine for not licensing).

If I got any complaint about a dog (barking, running loose, tied out all day, etc), I would check licenses. Owner would have to pay license and a fine.

I never bothered, but I know a lot of the dog parks/dog gathering places around us will actually check licenses as well. My dogs don't wear their tags, but I keep them in the glove box in my car so I can show them if asked.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Microchip:
Keeva's not microchipped yet. I would like her to be. I wince at the thought of doing it while she's awake, though... but she won't be going under anytime soon, so I don't have much an option.

Macky has a microchip from the rescue. I don't think our info is on it, so she would have to go through the rescue back to us.

Gus the cat has a microchip from AC that we need to update.

Tags:

Both dogs wear their tags (ID and rabies) more often than not. The cat has a collar with a tag somewhere but he never wears it. He's indoor only so it doesn't really matter.

Licensed:

Nope. It's $5 for alters and $50 for intact dogs, which I think is far beyond reasonable. The girl at my vet's office was like, "Here's the paperwork to license her (Keeva), now that she has rabies. It's only five dollars!" And of course I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Not if your dog has all its body parts." Our AC is ****, too, so they will not get my money.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

1: Is your dog microchipped (I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population is tattooed at this point)? If so, what company? Do you keep the information up to date?
Todd is tattooed. Lucy is tattooed and microchipped, and Katy is neither but getting her microchip tomorrow Lucy is chipped with Petlog and her details are up to date.

2: Does your dog wear a collar with ID? If so, when? What other tags, if any, are on the collar?
They wear collars on walks, that is it. Todd has his name, address and phone number. Lucy has her name, address phone number on one tag, and another tag that says 'spayed and microchipped'. Katy's new tag (which should arrive tomorrow) says her name, my name, address, phone number and 'microchipped'.

3: If applicable, do you keep your dog licensed?
No license required in the UK to own a dog.

My Photos
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm considering having Knox tattoo'd as well. His breeder does for those who ask, but I got him as an adolescent instead of a puppy, so he didn't get done. I'd have to take him to the vet and have him put under there for the tattoo.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Chihuahua Power!

All of mine except for Rory are microchipped. I had the others done when they were spayed and neutered. Rory isn't neutered so he's never had it done. I'll probably do it eventually while he's awake since I'm not planning on neutering him.

All of mine wear ID tags. Rory always wears his collar and tag. The chihuahuas wear theirs when we go out.

None of mine are licensed, as it is not a requirement in our town/county.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]My understanding is to ensure dogs are getting rabies vacs.
PA dog licenses have no connection to rabies vaccines, they're more for identification purposes. There was a big panic last year that AC was going door to door to check dog licenses, but I never saw them. I had my rabies certificates and licenses all ready to go
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Mutts to you

All are microchipped but only wear collars/tags when leaving the property with me. I have a phobia about dogs getting their collars hung on fences, trees, each other's teeth, etc...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey