Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Both dogs and the cat are microchipped. I forget which company (it's one for the dogs and a different one for the cat). Jack and Missy were done by the rescue, I had Sassy done at the vet. All the information is up to date.

All three wear collars with tags with my phone number on them at all times.

My city does not license pets, so they aren't. I suppose I could license them with St. Paul, but...*shrug*. I don't see the need.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
orange iguanas.

What is the point of licensing, anyway? Who is checking to see if pets are licensed, and maybe more importantly... for what reason would they check?

Maybe other areas are more strict about it. I don't know. But considering it's "the law" here, no one has ever inquired if my pets are licensed or not... I just don't get what purpose it serves or when it would ever come into play.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
What is the point of licensing, anyway? Who is checking to see if pets are licensed, and maybe more importantly... for what reason would they check?

Maybe other areas are more strict about it. I don't know. But considering it's "the law" here, no one has ever inquired if my pets are licensed or not... I just don't get what purpose it serves or when it would ever come into play.
Here the main point is that the dogs are reg with the city, so if they pick them up and they don't have tags they can look it up in their system that this person owns this breed here..and check in to see if that is the dogs possible home instead of just sending it to the pound( if they are not chipped or wearing a collar/tags).

I forgot to add to my post ours are 5.00 spay/neutered and 25.00 unaltered yearly
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Resident fainting goat

- All the dogs wear collars/tags
- All are microchipped (with petsafe I think it's called..)

in Miami, our dogs aren't licensed. but in Boston, future dog will need to be, you need the license tag to be at parks and police officers/park officials DO check and there is a fine

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Top Dog

1: Is your dog microchipped (I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population is tattooed at this point)? If so, what company? Do you keep the information up to date?
Yup, he's microchipped. I think it's thru AKC-something. I updated the information last year with my new number and stuff. Check it a few times a year just to make sure.

2: Does your dog wear a collar with ID? If so, when? What other tags, if any, are on the collar?
He wears a collar all day every day except for overnight and in the mornings when we first wake up he is usually "naked" when coming in from morning potty. It's just an ID tag with his name and my cell phone. I keep his rabies tag and microchip tag on my keychain.

3: If applicable, do you keep your dog licensed?
I need to get his county license but never have. Nobody seems to do it around here. I don't live in a neighborhood or anything, but I feel like I should do this.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Top Dog

My city's license application says...
"Dog license tags are required, and provide us with information needed to return our dog if it is lost, prevent an expensive stay at the Animal Control Center, and even save your dog***8217;s life."

I don't want to have to pay money to get my dog back if he/she happens to escape and get picked up by AC!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

1: Is your dog microchipped (I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population is tattooed at this point)? They are not, which whenever I think of I'm exasperated by. I will be certified shortly at work to do it, so I plan on just doing them all myself for free.

2: Does your dog wear a collar with ID? If so, when? What other tags, if any, are on the collar? Yes, but only outside of the house. Identification and rabies tags.

3: If applicable, do you keep your dog licensed? Yes, but two are not in my name. We are over the "city limit" on dogs, but when we moved here we already were and I'm not rehoming a dog to live here. We've had no problems and know our neighbors.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 AM
retriever crazy

my dog isnt chipped
he wears his tags whenever he leaves the house(besides the fenced in back yard)
he is licensed the city where i live is 10$ a year intact or fixed.

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

I my area, if they pick up your dog and it's not licensed, they will fine you for not having a license (they fine you either way, but fine you more and make you get a license if they aren't, then check in on you if you don't renew it). If your dog isn't UTD on rabies vacc at that time, they will fine you. If your dog bites someone and is not licensed, they can impound your dog. To me it's not worth it, what really is $18/month? The boys are even less being neutered, and heck IMO I think some of the fines and fees in this area are far to low, I get so sick and tired of the neighbors who let than dang dogs roam, tear up and soil my property, and harass my livestock!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Bailey is chipped, Maddie is not. Both wear collars with ID. Both are licensed but they don't wear that tag lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o