Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

I don't always elect EKG/BP monitoring for my pets under surgery but I always do bloodwork and IV cath/fluids. I want that vein access ready if needed, and the fluids always make me feel better about using the anesthetic drugs in the first place.

Don't price shop. Find someone you trust and use them.

The clinic I worked at had spays as "cheap" as $130. That was without anything at all. We literally saw people only able to afford a spay and a rabies vaccine. No pain management or anything. (Yes, we saw an equal amount of people who *could* afford it but chose to spend their money on purses and clothes and makeup.) Thankfully, it was not the norm and most people chose pain management and minimal pre-op bloodwork at least.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and if you do choose your regular vet.. many will work with you when it comes with payment plans and such.

They know the shelter/drives are price competitive.. tell them your situation and they will probably help you out.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Behavior Nerd

When we spay Snipe and Aeri they'll be going to the vet at the shelter I used to work at in SC - and yes, I'll be driving the 3 hours one way to have them done there. Why? Because I've seen the way the clinic is run and the results of the vet's skill and I *know* what to expect from them, *plus* it's $55 instead of $250. It's a win-win.

All that is to say, do your research and consider driving if you need to to find the right match for you and your girl - talk to people in classes and at the dog park, at trials, etc. about who did their dog's surgery and how they felt it turned out. Price shop, but also ask what it includes and if you can remove some things to bring the price down (i.e. do bloodwork at one vet that has it cheaper, but the surgery at a clinic you trust, etc.). Take advantage of the time you have now to cover alllll your bases!

I figure that the 6 hours on the road is worth it because I know the skill of the doctor, the way the clinic runs things, the price includes pain meds and monitoring during surgery, I can have my vet do bloodwork ahead of time if desired, and I'll get the girls back the same day. Heck I might even be allowed to pick them up as soon as they are out of recovery because the staff knows me! LOL

Old 02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

I'm usually present (at least in the building) when my pets are under, simply because I work at the clinic. But, even if I didn't, I keep in mind that the vets and technicians don't want anything to happen to their patients..any more than I want something to happen to my pet.

As others have said, vets can have expensive prices for a reason...the materials used in surgical procedures are pretty costly. And the prices are constantly rising. Add on the bloodwork and monitoring, and the costs aren't that high.

We do have a low cost clinic in town. I've not had to use them, but I'm sure they're a fine clinic. They do have a few vets who rotate turns on the surgeries, I believe. While I think one vet who takes his turn is perhaps a little questionable (we had to "re-spay" a cat because they left an ovary and piece of uterus in and she kept having heat cycles) I don't think it reflects on the entire clinic.

My females aren't markers, so can't answer that one. Newt's behavior and personality are exactly the same as before her spay.

None of my pets have fluctuated on weight after their spays and neuters
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Thanks so much guys. I totally don't mind having to drive further to a vet... In fact, I didn't even think about that option. I live right near Washington DC so a lot of prices on anything is higher. Heck I pay 1300 a month for a super tiny one bedroom apartment. Vet prices out here are more expensive than other places as well. I should definitely look in some of the more country areas surrounding the DC area since they are bound to be a bit cheaper, but still do all the bloodwork etc. My mission this upcoming week is to call around and get price quotes as well as what is included in the price quote. I definitely would want her to have some sort of pain management as well since I couldn't imagine her having the surgery and not having pain management. I'm especially going to check out vets in some of the areas we've been considering moving to when our lease is up here.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

At the clinic I work for all our spays/neuters are low cost, normally around 60.00 for a dog. We've done dozens in the last week and one thing I've learned is that I stressed way too much over having all my dogs done, spays/neuters are pretty simple!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

1. How do you deal with the fear and anxiety of having your dog put under for the surgery? I guess I'm just worried that Cricket may not do so well or have a reaction to the anesthesia or something. I'm sure she would be fine, but I can't help but get worked up worrying about how she would do.
- To be honest it does not worry me. If you did pre-op bloodwork and have a good vet, you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. Seriously, its not that big of a deal.

2. One of our clients recommended we look into the local shelter out here that does more affordable spay/neuter. They take your dog to a vet that does the surgery and you pick up your dog the next morning. They have the vet listed that they take dogs to in case people want to contact the vet themselves, but its a program they operate to help people S/N out here and it not be $500 like my vet quoted me. With that said, what are your thoughts on a program like this. Is this something I should look into or should I be leery? My main concern is that I want an experienced vet to do the surgery and not a vet student since I would rather someone not operate on my dog that is learning.
-Lily was spayed through something like that. When I adopted her they dropped her off and I picked her up to take her home for the first time. They were fine. The same place (they are open 24/7) took great care of her when she was attacked in 2010 on a Sunday, though my vet did the follow up care. The attending surgeon during that horrible incident was actually a northern breed person and went out of her way to allay my concerns.

3. For female dogs that tend to mark.... Did your female stop/decrease marking after being spayed or did they continue to mark all the time? Cricket marks a lot outside, but has been marking in the house recently... I think she is going to go into heat again soon.
- My spayed bitches both mark.

4. Did you notice any other differences in your dog after being spayed? Temperament? Weight? Etc.
- NADA!!!! Still the same great girls! Just spay Cricket already!!!! IMO with the risk of pyo alone, I'd have done it a LONG time ago if I were you... I mean she's a mutt anyway, so why not!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I mean she's a mutt anyway, so why not!
Why not? Increased risk of hypothyroidism, some cancers, orthopedic problems, cruciate tears, incontinence...the list goes on and on. She's still a very young dog - just over a year if I remember right. Personally I would still wait at least another year. Pyo is pretty much a non-issue in a dog that young, and if she DID somehow get it, she could be spayed at that point to treat it.

If I had the choice, I would NOT have neutered Gavroche, knowing what I know now. I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have hypothyroidism or urinary incontinence/UTI if he was still intact.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Why not? Increased risk of hypothyroidism, some cancers, orthopedic problems, cruciate tears, incontinence...the list goes on and on. She's still a very young dog - just over a year if I remember right. Personally I would still wait at least another year. Pyo is pretty much a non-issue in a dog that young, and if she DID somehow get it, she could be spayed at that point to treat it.
word

Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I've been thinking more and more lately about when we are going to spay Cricket. It's ridiculously expensive to spay out here it seems... Way more expensive than it would be if we were still in New Mexico.
Have you looked into Friends of Animals? The only hitch is you have to use one of their vets. Low cost Spay/Neiter info is on the right side of the page http://www.friendsofanimals.org/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
...3. For female dogs that tend to mark.... Did your female stop/decrease marking after being spayed or did they continue to mark all the time? Cricket marks a lot outside, but has been marking in the house recently... I think she is going to go into heat again soon...
I've known 2 spayed females who still marked- my sister's Dal mix and my grandmother's Toy Poodle. My sister's dog even lifted her leg like a male.