Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Yep, I wore my Children all the time as babies. Very good for them.

Usually tantrums are for other reasons than not getting something they want, hunger, being tired, too much stimulation etc. I don't know, tantrums are kind of like barking and lunging in dogs. They are reacting to something. Sure, we can react back harder and supresses the behavior but are they really learning???
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I never could do the babywearing. I tried but it was just too hard on my back. I couldn't do it. Sure made somethings difficult since i rarely had both hands free. I am the master at driving a shopping cart with one hand lol even those big ones with the cars on the front for kids to ride in lol

I don't know... Learning to do as you are told the first time can be a very valuable lesson lol its a good lesson as a child, in the workplace and for husbands LOL i am kiddig about the last one... Kinda LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-11-2012, 04:47 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Yes people could talk about it, but they wouldn't be seeing it. Seeing it fuels the discussion which creates more interest in seeing it and it continues.

If he had taken it down early this would be a non issue, heck if he took it down today it would die off pretty quick.

I think he is enjoying the attention to be honest.
It's going to die off pretty quick anyway. Next week the world's righteous indignation will have someone else in it's crosshairs.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I don't know... Learning to do as you are told the first time can be a very valuable lesson lol its a good lesson as a child, in the workplace and for husbands LOL i am kiddig about the last one... Kinda LOL
Honestly, i always want my kids questioning things and not doing what they are told, just because they are told.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Honestly, i always want my kids questioning things and not doing what they are told, just because they are told.
Thats all well and good and i am also trying to teach hannah to ask qestions but there are times where it is important to do as you are told as long as it doesnt violate any laws or your morals.

For example, no one will ever make it through basic training in the miltary if you don't know how to shut up an take orders.

There is a time to question and there is also a time to do what is asked of you. Both are very important skills to learn in life. Like if hannah is out of my reach and heading somewhere dangerous and i tell her to STOP. That is not an appropriate time to question what she is being told. She can question it later but right now she needs to do as i say when i say it.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Wow posted this then got called into work, came back to check it... And it's been busy!

I don't have time right this minute to read all the replies but I feel the Dad did nothing wrong here, I was a bratty teen too, many of us were... But even when I was (99% of the time unjustified) pissed at my parents I would NEVER have dared to sass them, or bad mouth them in such a manner, vent to my diary? Sure, Vent to my BF? Sure... But to Post something so hurtful (and very exaggerated) on FB! Given it did not exsist then, but I would never have done it...

I have tons of my daughters friends who added me to FB, even the ones I know are a bit bratty/ entitled have never posted something so hurtful....

I don't see it as a horrible thing, I think he was trying to get her attention, and it seems it worked...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Don't you know you're spoiling that child picking him up like that all the time?

Mom was in the wilds of central america when my sis and I were babies. Poor mom was so conflicted, the locals told her to never let us cry, nurse on demand, and to carry us around in a sling. Meanwhile her mom and MIL were telling her that if we were dry and fed to ignore us if we cried, and that we'd never learn to walk if she carried us around so much. Funnily, the native kids seemed to learn how to walk just fine - so did we
So true. You can never win as a parent. You either spoil them with love and thats why they are a brat or you ignore them and thats why they are acting out because you don't give them enough attention.

For us it works. Briggs does not feel punished by being thrown on my back to settle. Not to compare my child to a dog but it's kind of like putting your dog in a crate when company is over and you know it's going to over excite him. It's how I manage him when he is too distracted to learn. I can't leave my child at home like I cna my dog in certain situations so I've adapted. If the situation is dangerous like walking on a very busy street I put him on my back as an example. Plus its just our mode of transport. I don't even own a stroller. His legs get tired and he wants up. He's pretty heavy at nearly 35lbs to lug around in your arms for an extended period of time so a carrier is a must to keep my little high needs boy happy.

I think this dad is getting a bit more flack than he should. All parents do this people scoff at because its against their parenting styles and beliefs. I don't think he needs a medal of honor or to win the parent of the year award but I think people are overreacting to it.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
On second thought...

"the last time you were grounded, and quite frankly I forget now, but it was for something fairly childish and stupid..."

Had me rolling on the ground laughing, haha

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Personally I applaud this dad. Sure him posting it on YouTube may have been a bit excessive, but at the same time I see so many kids acting like the world should be handed to them. I was a selfish little brat at that age. If my father had done something like this to prove a point to me I can say that his point would have been proven. Honestly, if I was in this dad's shoes I would have totally shot the laptop too.... Only I would have probably used the shotgun. Sure some people think that's too harsh, but I was raised a little old fashioned and my parents absolutely did not put up with ****. I learned things the hard way and I am grateful for my upbringing honestly. When I was younger I definitely resented my parents at times, but they handled things the way they did for a reason and I have major respect for.them now that I'm older and have a better understanding. But that's just my take on it. Parenting style is one of those debates where there will always be people on different sides of the fence.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

Ugh. This is a fed up parent who has run out of patience. Someone posted it earlier, but an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind...

It's strange how people will readily accept Super Nanny type suggestions for 5 year olds, and understand the need to put a child in time out over and over and over again for the same misbehaviors until it finally sets in. Yet the 5 year old becomes 15, and they expect the punishment to work correctly the first time.

I work with 13 year olds all day. They are obnoxious as heck, whiny as anything, and developmentally they honestly believe they are the center of the world. #1 thing they taught us in behavior management class in teacher school is to never embarrass the kid in front of their peers--it just drives up huge walls.

I can remember to this day the things my parents said/did that harmed our relationship. Had my parent publicly filmed something like this, I can guarantee you it would have destroyed any lines of communication during high school. Shooting the laptop was wasteful (imo), and the dad probably should have taken some time out to calm down, but whatever. The worse part to me is filming it and intentionally trying to embarrass the girl. That's stooping to the level of a teenager, and is just showing her that her parent do exactly what they told her not to do.