Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Flight Prices

I've been watching ticket prices for the 4-5 locations I have in mind for my May trip, and some of them have just been insane! Like, 2-3 times as much as last year's prices.

We generally book our flights 2-3 months out since it tends to be the point right before they shoot up in price.

Anyone else notice this huge price increase?

For instance, Nicaragua is one of the places we've been researching. Tickets are only $150 LESS than Alaska, and only $250 LESS than Iceland. And, it's only a 3-4 hour flight! Last year, they were at $300 per ticket- almost $200 less than they are now!

European locations are at least 2-3 times what they were at last year.

I'm pretty sure we're going with Alaska or Iceland, for anyone who is interested

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Resident fainting goat

I was planning on going to London this summer. and call it crazy (or perhaps the olympics..) but ticket prices are RIDICULOUS. totally insane.

Kayak is my favorite site for this kind of stuff. but either way, it really drives me nuts.

I have considered UNREASONABLY LONG am-trak trips (lol like 34 hours) to get somewhere to avoid paying for a flight.

My vacations to go home (Connecticut-Miami) are ridiculous. The prices shoot up right on college break schedule..which is so unfair.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I haven't noticed it--I wonder if the routes I'm looking at are just lucky?

Going home to Santa Barbara and to a wedding in Sacramento are both hovering around $350/ticket from DC. That's basically as cheap as it ever gets. Our flights to Copenhagen this July were $980, which didn't seem unreasonable to me.

We made it to Italy last year for $650, but that was in late September as opposed to peak travel season. I've paid as much as $500 some years to fly to California, so $350 makes me happy!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Chihuahua Power!

It's really terrible!

I haven't seen prices this high in a while, and I'm always stalking Kayak for flight prices. They've gone down a little bit since December... and I'm hoping they'll continue to go down as it gets closer to the 90 day mark from our trip.

However, I'm kind of scared that they'll go up! So I'm really debating if I want to book sooner than later.

Stressful!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I haven't noticed it--I wonder if the routes I'm looking at are just lucky?

Going home to Santa Barbara and to a wedding in Sacramento are both hovering around $350/ticket from DC. That's basically as cheap as it ever gets. Our flights to Copenhagen this July were $980, which didn't seem unreasonable to me.

We made it to Italy last year for $650, but that was in late September as opposed to peak travel season. I've paid as much as $500 some years to fly to California, so $350 makes me happy!
I think that flights from DC are just cheaper since it's a bigger hub than Orlando.

For instance, Iceland. From DC to Iceland it's only $500-550.

From Orlando, it's $700-750.

Last year to get to Glasgow, it was $550. This year, it's $1000+. Same month and everything.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Wookie Collie

Yup.

If it weren't for seat sales, my Wisconsin trip would have been $600 and my BC trip would have been close to $1000.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Kotah BEAR

TJ and I plan on going to Virginia this summer. I know if we fly it'll take a shorter amount of time than driving, but I prefer driving.

If I can drive, I do it.

I like flying, a lot. Its the landing that I hate so much I almost don't want to fly lol
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I think that flights from DC are just cheaper since it's a bigger hub than Orlando.
Hubs actually tend to make things more expensive, as one airline has a virtual monopoly and can jack up prices. If you ever look into flying into Houston (why you'd do that, I don't know ), the fares are ridiculous, as Continental is pretty much the only viable airline for any long distance trip.

DC is fortunate in that 2.5 airports service the area, so no one really has a monopoly. (I say 2.5 because Baltimore is only an hour-hour and a half away if you go at non-rush hour). United has a large presence at IAD, but American is at DCA and US Air is at BWI. We're flying out of all 3 locations this summer to save money is one way or another.

I looked at going somewhere for spring break, but I'm so limited to just the week before easter due to school scheduling, that I gave up. I'm not paying $400 to fly from DC to Florida! And no way am I driving, as 15+ hours in the car each direction makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Chihuahua Power!

For the Iceland flight, we'd actually fly out of a smaller airport (Orlando-Sanford) that services Iceland Air. Besides that, Orlando Int'l Airport is cheaper for every flight (the other airport doesn't offer a lot of flights, either).

In May, I could get a roundtrip ticket to DC for $170. $400 over spring break is just insane! Supply and demand =/

Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Somehow Jess's flight is the same price (maybe even like $40 cheaper?) than it was last year! And it's a better flight/airline this time as well. That's from Ottawa to Orlando. LUCKY CANADIANS!