Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
I really think the required vet contact will be minimal since they're already altered - although it might be worth getting them checked for a chip. Really, everything but the HW test you can probably do yourself assuming they don't continue to decline in some way. Most of the time food + water + care solves most of these issues in young dogs. Also with wormers and such often times you can help yourself by shopping online from a reputable broker like jeffers or pet edge.

If you find yourself in need of help with costs please say something here.
Ok, sounds good. I am pretty good at DIYing anyway. I know I can get HW tests done at some of the low cost clinics around here. It is really kind of you guys to offer your help.

They are already doing better. Both are being really good about holding it in the crate and then going when I bring them outside. They've kept down a few small meals + water, and their skin elasticity is improving. With a blanket over the front of their crate and the little space heater going, they're quite cozy.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Wait, I meant to ask this before... What should I do legally? I know other people on the scene called AC repeatedly. I can report abuse/neglect online, and I can also report stray dogs. Neither form allows to me to specify that I've taken them into my care. I feel I should report it though, as I don't want to get in trouble for having two emaciated dogs in a crate on my back porch. I did email the Anti-Cruelty Society, which is the only other org besides AC that accepts reports of cruelty and can accept strays. I told them the story and explained that I have the dogs in my care. Is that enough?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Those poor poor dogs Hopefully being with you will do them a lot of good.

My Photos
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

They're definitely improving! Both are starting to get waggy tails when I take them out of the crate. Both are producing lots of light colored urine, which is great, as before it was almost orange and just a few drops.

Tomorrow I'm going to grab them a 48" crate with a divider from work, and house them separately but next to each other, to put my mind at ease. I hate two dogs in the same crate, much less two same sex pit bull types.

Keeping them on the porch seems to be working great. With the crate covered with a blanket and the space heater running, the crate is as warm as inside the house. They certainly seem comfortable.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Here, all you have to do is notify AC that you've taken in strays. I think after two weeks they become your property, as long as you've let AC know you have the dogs in case their owner IS actually looking for them, ect.

That's here though, so it could be different where you live. Mostly these guys like this recover with food + water and care. Unfortunately I seem to live in abandoned pit bull capital of the world, and no where down here is taking them in. :/
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
If you find yourself in need of help with costs please say something here.
This this this. I don't have any rescue resources in Chicago but I can definitely pitch to help you out. I think that if you contact some of the rescues on FB they'd be more than willing to help out. That picture is going to tug a lot of heartstrings. Poor babies.

You are awesome for bringing them home.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Puppy Dog

Emily, I know of a couple pit rescues in the Chicagoland area. If you could PM me with with more info on the dogs and your location, I would appreciate that. I can pass on the info to a friend who may be able to help you out. You can email me at: [email protected].

Thanks for taking them in! <3

www.collarshop.org
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

What about notifying the police by calling a non emergency line? That way there will be a paper trial so if someone does come looking for them you won't be in trouble for not reporting it.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

I met a guy a few weeks ago at a seminar that rusn a pitbull rescue in Chicago. Had a cool painted SUV, but heck if I can remember the name. I'm checking on it though and hopefully have some answers soon.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Ok, my people are quick I'm sending you a PM Emily