D800 is here!

Michiyo-Fir

The D800 is here finally!

Despite having 36 MP, the low light performance isn't doing bad at all from what I've seen. Plus 17 MP in DX format seems to be useful considering I have both FX and DX lenses.

I wanted something like 20+ MP but wow 36 is a ton... I do blow up photos 24 x 36 quite often and I find my 16 MP D7000 a little lacking in that department, especially if I crop a little. I'm contemplating picking one up, plus I do want to upgrade to full frame. After I get my hands on one to test out of course.

Anyone else interested in getting one?

Michiyo-Fir

I considered switching to Canon at one point but I've already invested too much in lenses. Don't want to sell them off.

The 1D X looks absolutely amazing though. I'd love to try that one too and a lot of customers are waiting for a 5D MIII.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I am droooooling over the D800! It's on my "save up" list, pretty much in the Top 3 spots.

Michiyo-Fir

I do have a few reservations though.

1. memory card space and transfer speed. Considering I'm seeing just JPEGs to be 22 MB each. Raw files are going to be over 70 MB each. Compact flash only goes up to 32 GB, SDXC right now there are 64 GB cards but shooting in RAW, that's not very many.

2. computer speed to edit those photos. My computer is being upgraded to 8 GB RAM next week but even so, with my 2.26 ghz processor, I may struggle a great deal post processing anything without computer freezing or program becoming unresponsive.

3. battery life on the D800 is quite poor. 850 shots per charge compared to 1050 on the D7000. May have to keep a grip on it which makes it very heavy.

The D800 is here finally!

Despite having 36 MP, the low light performance isn't doing bad at all from what I've seen. Plus 17 MP in DX format seems to be useful considering I have both FX and DX lenses.

I wanted something like 20+ MP but wow 36 is a ton... I do blow up photos 24 x 36 quite often and I find my 16 MP D7000 a little lacking in that department, especially if I crop a little. I'm contemplating picking one up, plus I do want to upgrade to full frame. After I get my hands on one to test out of course.

Anyone else interested in getting one?
So far, the samples look good. If was was in the market, the d800e would be a consideration.

Members online

No members online now.