Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
BudgetsDad BudgetsDad is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 146
Default Potty -- one word or two?

Just wondering what people thought about this...

When associating a word with potty training, is it better to have one word associated with both? or one word for #1 and one for #2?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Brattina88 Brattina88 is offline
treehugging clicker freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 12,752
Default

I'd say one word associated with both since you want to get them to hurry up and go, but can't be positive they have to do one instead of the other.
__________________

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM
rocco&quiras mama rocco&quiras mama is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sweden
Posts: 135
Default

I use two,
dont know why really cuz Rocco will pee no matter if i tell him to or not,
Being able to tell him to go #2 is useful if your traveling by train and only have a few minutes... or if it***180;s really cold out and you want him to hurry up.
i never even thought of using one word for both.... maybe next dog
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,722
Default

I just say "Go potty" for both.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Giny's Avatar
Giny Giny is offline
:( only one :(
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,527
Default

I say go potty for #2 and go peepee for #1. The latter totally embarrasses my husband while we go for a walk.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
necterine0 necterine0 is offline
<--My 2 angels Odo & Odie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny
I say go potty for #2 and go peepee for #1. The latter totally embarrasses my husband while we go for a walk.
LOL...I use the PeePee one to. But i use three. If i am asking if they want to go out to potty. So if i am just letting them out to stay a while i don't say anything else, just let them go...Now if it is cold and i want them to hurry i say go peepee, poopoo and i tell them hurry, then i waite on them. Now when i lived in Tenn. There was no fenced yard so i had to leash walk Odo and i taught him to Poo on comand by waiting for him to assume the position then saying Odo go poopoo, then i would praise him alot. It took about a week and he would go when i said it after that...Pertty neat it still works.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Mordy's Avatar
Mordy Mordy is offline
Quigleyfied
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,868
Default

i use two words. it comes in very handy when the dog knows what you want.

e.g. before going on a walk or bike ride with quigley here in the city, i take him in the back yard to poop so i'm less likely to have to clean up along the way.
__________________
Sabine Contreras
- Canine Care
- Nutrition Consulting
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2005, 06:54 PM
BudgetsDad BudgetsDad is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 146
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by necterine0
LOL...I use the PeePee one to. But i use three. If i am asking if they want to go out to potty. So if i am just letting them out to stay a while i don't say anything else, just let them go...Now if it is cold and i want them to hurry i say go peepee, poopoo and i tell them hurry, then i waite on them. Now when i lived in Tenn. There was no fenced yard so i had to leash walk Odo and i taught him to Poo on comand by waiting for him to assume the position then saying Odo go poopoo, then i would praise him alot. It took about a week and he would go when i said it after that...Pertty neat it still works.
I'm not sure I could say all that and keep a straight face!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
BudgetsDad BudgetsDad is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
i use two words. it comes in very handy when the dog knows what you want.

e.g. before going on a walk or bike ride with quigley here in the city, i take him in the back yard to poop so i'm less likely to have to clean up along the way.
How did you train for two words? I guess it requires good timing....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Barb04's Avatar
Barb04 Barb04 is offline
Love my pets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 27,027
Default

When Jake pees, I say "good pee". When he poops, I say "good poop". I started this at the beginning. Now if I tell him "go poop", he poops. I am glad no one is listening to me. It's all a matter of association to get them to respond to the words you use.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site